Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411644 Posts in 69395 Topics- by 58450 Members - Latest Member: pp_mech

May 15, 2024, 01:57:16 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsPaperPixelPlatformer
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: PaperPixelPlatformer  (Read 1987 times)
NemoDev
Level 0

View Profile
« on: April 18, 2012, 12:21:14 PM »

I'm working on a new game for Windows Phone. It's basically a running platformer drawing much from games like Bit.Trip Runner. I have some personal goals with this game, which are the following:

- Finish within a month from now (need to learn how to work with deadlines)
- Make as much as I can with as little as I have available (50x30 canvas, only a few design mechanics etc.)
- Become a better pixel artist (and get some basic shading knowledge)

Here's a small mock-up. Note that I have zero pixel art skills (only started 2 months ago with some practice) so that's why I have it so blown up, but like I said I'm trying to make much from little so it fits the theme Wink I might remove that el-cheapo paper filter as well and get a proper one at some point

More coming soon!
« Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 06:51:52 AM by NemoDev » Logged
NemoDev
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2012, 06:10:48 AM »

Spent some of yesterday and most of today doing what I like least, animating the character. I've done a lot of frames and tried out different things, so far this is the best I got.

Thought it would be easier to do in such a resolution but it's actually a lot harder than I expected, if I had twice the resolution I'd probably be done already. I was thinking, maybe if I shade the pants and double the frames it looks more believable but I don't want to change the look too much
NemoDev
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2012, 10:17:11 AM »

Got some menu work done

Level icon

Hope to get an actual level up and running very soon
Squid Party
Level 5

Oh hi mark.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2012, 10:54:12 AM »

Cool title screen  Smiley
Like those colours, bright but not unbearable

[img]http://i1170.photobucket.com/albums/r527/Daniel_Sharman/areyouonyourperiod.gif[img/]
NemoDev
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2012, 04:54:58 AM »

Thanks Squid, appreciate it. I like using colors like that. Not too vivid, but not too soft either. It's good to know it doesn't become annoying to the eyes. Hope it looks as good on phones as well! Even with my lack of pixel art XP I still want to make it look unique somehow.

I have the gameplay almost good and am working on a test level now. Have a few obstacles along the way as well. The only two actions in the game will be either jumping or sliding. Since the character walks automaticaly I have to think of some different obstacles without making it boring too quickly. Goal is to at least make it a one hour game (that's the rule right? An hour for a dollar?)
NemoDev
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2012, 07:37:57 AM »

Haven't updated this in a long time. But we did continue developing! We also entered Dream.Build.Play.

If people are still interested I can break down the steps of what was done, otherwise you can check the entry via the gallery (excuse the bad video, still working on proper trailer Gomez )

https://www.dreambuildplay.com/Main/GalleryDetail.aspx?EntryID=224

Critique always appreciated
NemoDev
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2012, 06:50:36 AM »

Finally we got to run the game on an actual phone properly. It's looking better and better and we're doing some finishing touches now before aggressively testing for bugs n stuff. Didn't exactly get to finish within a month from the startline, but it got a bit bigger than expected. Hope it can sell a few copies, desperately need it. Is the runner genre popular on WP7?
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic