Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411493 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: graysonsolis

April 29, 2024, 06:36:31 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)PlayStation Development Suite
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10
Print
Author Topic: PlayStation Development Suite  (Read 17474 times)
Serapth
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: April 20, 2013, 05:11:40 AM »

'bit of a necro, but I wrote a book on programming for PlayStation Mobile.

It was a rather enjoyable experience, I think I'll write more. Smiley
I bought it now in order to safe my time collecting all the puzzle pieces. Hope you did a good job on that but it will surely help Wink

Awesome, hope you enjoy it.  Please read past the first chapter, it's easily the worst. Smiley
J-Snake
Level 10

A fool with a tool is still a fool.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #161 on: April 20, 2013, 05:59:12 AM »

Hehe, you could surely do it better, but you are lucky it is nothing fundamentally new to me. I did opengl on low level already. But personally it helps having access to some of your experience in one place. It will certainly be of help here and there. For my current game Ps Vita is a good portion of my hope, along with some pc-portals and potentially xblig.

Independent game developer with an elaborate focus on interesting gameplay, rewarding depth of play and technical quality.<br /><br />Trap Them: http://store.steampowered.com/app/375930
Serapth
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: April 23, 2013, 09:36:09 AM »

For anyone interested in PlayStation Mobile development and who like free stuff,  I am currently running a giveaway for a few e-book copies of my book.  You pretty much just have to post a comment with a way I can get back to you if you win.
InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: April 23, 2013, 03:16:36 PM »

posted about that on my g+, twitter etc Smiley

Serapth
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: April 23, 2013, 05:33:16 PM »

Nice, thanks. Smiley

I posted your tutorials earlier by the way, by the rating, I believe they were popular.
InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: April 23, 2013, 08:04:45 PM »

Ah sweet thanks very much for that Smiley

Ouren
Enjoyed Some Pizza!
Level 7

Poppy Works

View Profile WWW
« Reply #166 on: April 27, 2013, 01:26:28 PM »

Inside Baseball—
Sorry about the huge link!
http://community.eu.playstation.com/t5/Community-Lounge/Our-game-was-rejected-Magic-Planet-Snack-%E3%83%9E%E3%82%B8%E3%83%83%E3%82%AF%E3%83%97%E3%83%A9%E3%83%8D%E3%83%83%E3%83%88%E3%82%B9%E3%83%8A%E3%83%83%E3%82%AF/td-p/18830094

J-Snake
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #167 on: April 27, 2013, 02:42:08 PM »

That sucks for sure. I found it hard to accept "if it sucks on everything except the vita, so be it". But now it seems confirmed. That is why I wanted the xperia play. I hope if it performs well on it then it is accepted.

It is just a short function to compute the matrix for proper screen-scaling, like I am already doing in xna. So getting the frame in bounds shouldn't be a problem. Or is the problem mainly the performance-inconsistencies? Would like to know if you have some info on it.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2013, 03:06:09 PM by J-Snake » Logged

Independent game developer with an elaborate focus on interesting gameplay, rewarding depth of play and technical quality.<br /><br />Trap Them: http://store.steampowered.com/app/375930
Ouren
Enjoyed Some Pizza!
Level 7

Poppy Works

View Profile WWW
« Reply #168 on: April 27, 2013, 03:32:59 PM »

There should be a way to code the thing to adapt to other hardware, but we were totally uninformed about the fact that PSM does not scale by itself, or that we had to write special code for it. We currently have code specifically for 960x544 sized screen for movement. The entire game is built around that res.

Also, no where in the documentation does it say that you need to do any of this.

I've tried the game at the "tablet" resolution, the game seems to run way faster because there are more pixels, but also the simulator sucks-ass because I'm 100% sure the game doesn't look or handle like that on the real hardware. There's no way to test it without buying a ton of separate devices.

This is not O.K.

J-Snake
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #169 on: April 27, 2013, 04:20:20 PM »

You should set a fixed framerate yourself. I don't think that particular point is the fault of the sdk/simulator.

Ouren
Enjoyed Some Pizza!
Level 7

Poppy Works

View Profile WWW
« Reply #170 on: April 27, 2013, 05:26:23 PM »

You should set a fixed framerate yourself. I don't think that particular point is the fault of the sdk/simulator.

Never said framerate. Tongue

InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: April 27, 2013, 06:13:39 PM »

faster != framerate

I replied to your thread. I totally agree. It's not just a resolution issue, it's also an input issue. One game I'm working on now would SUCK with a virtual onscreen controller.

edit: been on vacation the last little while. added your skype in regards to the other thread.

J-Snake
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #172 on: April 27, 2013, 06:29:32 PM »

If not the game-loop then the scaling is wrong, it is stretched not with respect to the aspect ratio.

J-Snake
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #173 on: April 27, 2013, 06:33:30 PM »

One game I'm working on now would SUCK with a virtual onscreen controller.
May be that is acceptable for them, not handling resolution properly is far worse I would expect; may be the main reason why they rejected ouren's game.

InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: April 27, 2013, 07:33:38 PM »

I wasn't speaking in respect to ourens game. I was venting about another reason why there should be targeted devices when you publish. 

J-Snake
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #175 on: April 27, 2013, 07:41:46 PM »

It's a long known story onscreen controllers do suck, also for my current game.

InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: April 27, 2013, 07:55:31 PM »

Well they have at least acknowledged they are considering vita only publishing. Hopefully we get an update from the PSM team soon.

Ouren
Enjoyed Some Pizza!
Level 7

Poppy Works

View Profile WWW
« Reply #177 on: April 27, 2013, 09:44:54 PM »

On Monday, I'm going to make that happen.
With phone calls.

InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: April 28, 2013, 05:40:38 AM »

phone calls! That's next level

Seriously good luck though. They have the right idea but we need to keep hammering them. The vita is an amazing handheld. It shouldnt be held back this way.

Ouren
Enjoyed Some Pizza!
Level 7

Poppy Works

View Profile WWW
« Reply #179 on: May 09, 2013, 05:57:11 PM »

Sony waives fee on PlayStation Mobile development

As a PSM developer already, and someone who thought that fee was a poor choice after the beta, I'm thrilled. If you're new to PSM and need some feedback or some help, please contact me on twitter. Let's talk!

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic