Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411276 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 10:26:50 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsPIONEERS (Build 7)
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 40
Print
Author Topic: PIONEERS (Build 7)  (Read 149368 times)
Eigen
Level 10

Brobdingnagian ding dong

View Profile WWW
« Reply #260 on: September 23, 2012, 05:56:20 AM »

Thanks, guys! I appreciate the good word.

1500 is pretty meh though, 1512 would be better

Why is that? Columbus died in 1506 and that's the sort of time-frame I was going for. Plus, it's a beginning of a new century, what better time to start an epic voyage.

That latest video is looking so polished. Really coming along well. The text you've written seems to also fit nicely. Great job  Smiley.

Thanks. I have a (bad) habit to spend time tinkering with details and that usually slows down progress. Things work, but it definitely has its kinks. I don't have time right now to fix everything. I say, it works as long as it works. Giggle

You might want to add some kind of disadvantage-vs-melee mechanic for ranged attacks.
Early gunpowder weapons also had a fair chance of blowing off their carriers hand instead of hitting the adversary.

Musket is listed in the weapons category in the supply store but it's not implemented yet.

I'll playtest it some more and then start zipping it up and whatnot. I wish I had time to add in some native warriors and archers that pop out of the village when you go near but oh well. That's quite a bit of development.

makerimages
Level 2

Makerimages Studios

View Profile WWW
« Reply #261 on: September 23, 2012, 06:59:55 AM »

OH my, how did you get soo good at pixelart?

Makerimages-Its in the pixel
Eigen
Level 10

Brobdingnagian ding dong

View Profile WWW
« Reply #262 on: September 23, 2012, 09:21:11 AM »

After fixing a few things I now consider it stable enough to be released. So, get it, try it out (but don't break it) and have fun! If you find any issues, please be so kind and let me know.

Download for Windows
Download for OS X

OH my, how did you get soo good at pixelart?

Heh, I can somewhat handle it but honestly I'm not good at it. You've got to practice it, just like everything else. My father had an exceptional eye for drawing and so did her mother, so part of it comes from that I guess.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 08:30:20 AM by Eigen » Logged

tchassin
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #263 on: September 23, 2012, 10:53:45 AM »

A demo! AW YISS
I'm definitely going to give it a try.

Uykered
« Reply #264 on: September 23, 2012, 10:28:50 PM »

This is pretty cool, a few minor things:

I think maybe the attributes bracket should be next to the heading like: Attributes (0), so it's more intuitive to know how many points you have to spend.

The tabs in the quest book are close to unreadable for me.

Maybe the objective page should have bullet points next to them, so that each goal is more distinguished? The small tick next to the objectives is hard to notice, maybe the tick should be bigger or the objective highlighted/faded when its done.
oyog
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #265 on: September 24, 2012, 07:58:11 AM »

You might want to add some kind of disadvantage-vs-melee mechanic for ranged attacks.
Early gunpowder weapons also had a fair chance of blowing off their carriers hand instead of hitting the adversary.

Musket is listed in the weapons category in the supply store but it's not implemented yet.

Early gunpowder weapons also took an inconvenient amount of time to reload. I imagine the only time it would be worth it is if you can afford to equip multiple guys with 'em so you can rotate who's shooting and who's reloading.

Huzzah!
Eigen
Level 10

Brobdingnagian ding dong

View Profile WWW
« Reply #266 on: September 24, 2012, 08:44:45 AM »

Sweet! Thanks guys.

I fixed a couple of issues:
* Made inventory item selection cyclic
* Added a few more help text windows
* Changed the word day/days to turn/turns - makes more sense
* Pressing ESC now skips the intro to the character creation section
* Slightly increased nutritious value of food items
* One new background music

I also had a sort of funny bug. I made it so that when thirst or hunger levels are very low, the character drinks and eats automatically, if he has anything. Basically it picks a random food item from the inventory. You first quest is to collect some spices. Spices are classified as edible in the game since they are herbs by basic type. So I was going around collecting the spices when I noticed that I'm losing my valuable stuff. It turned out my dudes were eating it whenever hunger kicked in. I literally laughed out loud.

Anyway, if any of these changes seem important to you, downloading it again would be good idea. Also, Mac OS X version is now up. See the first post.

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #267 on: September 24, 2012, 06:30:29 PM »

I started playing this to give you some feedback, but then I realised it was so awesome that I'd rather not play the unfinished version. So, I'm not being very helpful, but I can definitely say that this looks really amazing and I can't wait until its released. Smiley

makerimages
Level 2

Makerimages Studios

View Profile WWW
« Reply #268 on: September 25, 2012, 03:39:58 AM »

looks great,will play more later

Moczan
« Reply #269 on: September 25, 2012, 05:09:48 AM »

I started playing this to give you some feedback, but then I realised it was so awesome that I'd rather not play the unfinished version. So, I'm not being very helpful, but I can definitely say that this looks really amazing and I can't wait until its released. Smiley

Same here, don't want to spoil myself the awesome feeling of playing the finished version  Wink
Christian Knudsen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #270 on: September 25, 2012, 05:11:10 AM »

Maybe I'm an idiot, but I can't figure out how to do anything. My little dude is standing on the pier, and when I click on anything besides World Map and Quests, nothing happens.

Laserbrain Studios
Currently working on Hidden Asset (TIGSource DevLog)
Eigen
Level 10

Brobdingnagian ding dong

View Profile WWW
« Reply #271 on: September 25, 2012, 05:23:50 AM »

Maybe I'm an idiot, but I can't figure out how to do anything. My little dude is standing on the pier, and when I click on anything besides World Map and Quests, nothing happens.

That's very odd. The camera/viewport should move to the location in hand and the window should appear. Not that it makes any difference but what if you choose Tavern or other location from the Town menu in the menubar. I don't see how such a basic thing could not work Who, Me?

But the button click registers, right? You should hear a sound.

Also, Win or Mac?

Christian Knudsen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #272 on: September 25, 2012, 05:39:52 AM »

That's weird. I tried it again, and now it works. However, if I change the resolution and then immediately change it back to 800x600, the game consistently crashes when I select New Game. It also did that the first time I tried it, so maybe that crash caused issues when I played the second time and couldn't click on anything? I'm on Windows XP, by the way.

EDIT: Actually, the game crashes even if I just change the resolution once to whatever before selecting New Game.

Laserbrain Studios
Currently working on Hidden Asset (TIGSource DevLog)
makerimages
Level 2

Makerimages Studios

View Profile WWW
« Reply #273 on: September 26, 2012, 04:05:01 AM »

maybe this has been asked, but What language do you program this in?

oyog
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #274 on: September 26, 2012, 08:03:32 AM »

Meant to post this yesterday but I got distracted by Sim City.

I think it'd make a lot of sense to make 'buy brig' the first objective or 'harbor' the first button. A harbor with a brig works as a makeshift inventory while purchasing supplies.  Also, on my first playthrough, before reading the objectives tab, I hired explorers and bought equipment first (since the tabs are in that order). By the time I realized I could buy a ship at the harbor I had run out of cash and started a new game, though it occurred to me later I could have sold stuff again.

On the character sheets initially I thought there was something strange going on with the skills text but I just realized occasionally skills get struck out on re-rolling.

I purchased flask(s), tent, sword, axe, bow and flint but the task isn't checked in objectives. Only thought it was strange since the rest of the tasks check off.

The tabs in the quest book are close to unreadable for me.
Initially it is pretty difficult to tell what the tabs in the quest book say.

Would it be possible to remap keys? Ending turn with 'enter' is automatic for me from playing Civilization. Not an issue, just personal preference.

It'd be nice to have a 'go to home port' for the brig.

Leaving two explorers in the new world I sent the third home. Upon arriving the two that didn't sail home have teleported to the dock. One of them even seems to be attempting to disassemble the dock using only his axe. (He had been clearing a forest in the new world.)

Choosing from this point to immediately sail out the game crashes. Would the log Windows offers when suggesting checking online for a solution be useful?

A crash I can't seem to reproduce - 1 member in camp, 2nd member, not in camp selects leave camp - not sure about this one.

First turn in the new world before the brig has moved the first character can't pick up dried meat, he can pick up other things and other characters can pick up dried meat. Haven't tried reproducing this.
Eigen
Level 10

Brobdingnagian ding dong

View Profile WWW
« Reply #275 on: September 26, 2012, 09:07:38 AM »

Same here, don't want to spoil myself the awesome feeling of playing the finished version  Wink

That's a wise choice it seems, see below ...

That's weird. I tried it again, and now it works. However, if I change the resolution and then immediately change it back to 800x600, the game consistently crashes when I select New Game. It also did that the first time I tried it, so maybe that crash caused issues when I played the second time and couldn't click on anything? I'm on Windows XP, by the way.

EDIT: Actually, the game crashes even if I just change the resolution once to whatever before selecting New Game.

Thanks. That gives me something to go on from, though I can't exactly re-produce it. Oh well, looking into it! I might annoy you with a new exe file at one point Smiley

looks great,will play more later
maybe this has been asked, but What language do you program this in?

Thank you. I'm writing this in C++ with a dash of Objective-C for creating directories, finding save files and opening the website on OS X. That reminds me I need to take a little time to clean up the existing codebase. It's a mess in some places.

oyog, sweet mother of baby Jebus! That's one buggy game. I wouldn't want to be the one who wrote that. Oh, wait ... Who, Me?

I think it'd make a lot of sense to make 'buy brig' the first objective or 'harbor' the first button. A harbor with a brig works as a makeshift inventory while purchasing supplies.  Also, on my first playthrough, before reading the objectives tab, I hired explorers and bought equipment first (since the tabs are in that order). By the time I realized I could buy a ship at the harbor I had run out of cash and started a new game, though it occurred to me later I could have sold stuff again.

Yeah, someone else also mentioned that and I see what you mean. I'll be sure to clarify that. And you can't actually sell stuff yet, it's just a button. Sorry.

On the character sheets initially I thought there was something strange going on with the skills text but I just realized occasionally skills get struck out on re-rolling.

That strike-trough font doesn't quite work. I meant to fix that but never got around to it. Some skills are in fact disabled when a certain attribute value is too small. Not that it matters because skills don't actually do anything yet.

I purchased flask(s), tent, sword, axe, bow and flint but the task isn't checked in objectives. Only thought it was strange since the rest of the tasks check off.

That's strange. Are you sure you had as many flasks as you had men? If you have the save file for that, maybe you could zip it up and send it to me? It's in the data/savegames folder.

Would it be possible to remap keys? Ending turn with 'enter' is automatic for me from playing Civilization. Not an issue, just personal preference.

No, it's impossible Grin Sure, I'll see what I can do.

It'd be nice to have a 'go to home port' for the brig.

True but my idea was that the sail home is as important as everything else because realistically you could die one the way back because you don't have food or water. Yeah, you completed the quest but if you never make it back home it's all in vain. Automating takes that away. But I've been thinking about adding difficulty modes. On Easy it could easily be like that.

Leaving two explorers in the new world I sent the third home. Upon arriving the two that didn't sail home have teleported to the dock. One of them even seems to be attempting to disassemble the dock using only his axe. (He had been clearing a forest in the new world.)

Whoops Roll Eyes The game should probably kill of the guys who are left behind or add them to the nearest native village and let the computer control them from there on. It'd be funny if you ever go back you could run into them.

Choosing from this point to immediately sail out the game crashes. Would the log Windows offers when suggesting checking online for a solution be useful?

No, I think I know where the problem is. Thanks.

A crash I can't seem to reproduce - 1 member in camp, 2nd member, not in camp selects leave camp - not sure about this one.

Okay, that was actually easy to reproduce. Enter camp with one guy. Right-click an empty tile but don't choose Leave camp. Press TAB to switch to another character. Choose Leave camp = crash. Thanks for finding it! The contextual actions menu should be closed on character switch most likely.

Thanks again. These are all excellent findings! You are a true explorer Gentleman

oyog
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #276 on: September 26, 2012, 09:16:16 AM »

That's strange. Are you sure you had as many flasks as you had men? If you have the save file for that, maybe you could zip it up and send it to me? It's in the data/savegames folder.

Whoops, that's my fault. I misremembered the minimum on dried meat I was supposed to buy. Works fine when I actually buy the right amount of everything.  Durr...?
Eigen
Level 10

Brobdingnagian ding dong

View Profile WWW
« Reply #277 on: September 28, 2012, 06:17:30 AM »

Today was a bit less hectic at work so I got a chance to work on my own stuff. Made a website for the game.

It's here.

It turned out okay I think. It's very simple but contains everything useful at this point. Eventually it'll probably get its own domain. Haven't tested this on any version of Internet Explorer ... so Shrug Safari, Firefox and Chrome seem fine.

Eigen
Level 10

Brobdingnagian ding dong

View Profile WWW
« Reply #278 on: October 01, 2012, 03:31:54 AM »

Today I came across this. Pretty sweet little coverage of the game with some nice comments. All in German but Chrome's ability to translate whole pages saves the day. People seem to like the graphical style which makes me happy because it's a gamble - you either like it or you don't. Beautiful hi-res artwork would probably make it more accessible to more people but it's not something I'm able to produce myself, so it would lose some of its charm I think. Plus, nostalgia is a powerful feeling, creates a more personal connection.

So, big thanks to the user DerMitdemTee on there for the mention. I really appreciate it! Smiley

makerimages
Level 2

Makerimages Studios

View Profile WWW
« Reply #279 on: October 01, 2012, 08:30:29 AM »

what do you use to draw the art(serverr error, sorry if double  post)

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 40
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic