Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 09:32:20 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsPIONEERS (Build 7)
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 40
Print
Author Topic: PIONEERS (Build 7)  (Read 149916 times)
makerimages
Level 2

Makerimages Studios

View Profile WWW
« Reply #380 on: December 13, 2012, 08:00:42 AM »

How dear he say so about this game!!!?!?!!!?! Keep up the good work.Will you be streaming this weekend too?

Makerimages-Its in the pixel
dukope
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #381 on: December 13, 2012, 09:33:12 AM »

That compass view looks so hot.

Can I... can I complain about a pet peeve? I love pixel graphics, and yours are really good. However, it really really bothers me when the engine displaying those graphics does so at sub-pixel precision, as it takes me out of the immersion.

I'm sorry to say I agree with this and it was one of the first things I noticed when playing. I also know it can be a bitch to enforce pixel scaling without nailing it down from the start so no harm no foul.

I registered at IndieDB to vote for you. Pioneers. All. The. Way.

oyog
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #382 on: December 13, 2012, 12:50:53 PM »

I played for a while and then forgot to post my notes (again).

I love the thunder and sound effects in general! I'm looking forward to trading and interacting with villages. There's something super satisfying about the UI. I can't really explain it but something about it makes the game super relaxing.

Hope there's not too much junk you already know in here:
  • The game prompts me to update even though its up to date (v.4).

• World map retains data between games during single session?
    I started a game, sailed for ~15 minutes without finding land, started a new game
    and discovered the ocean map was still explored from the last game.

• The ship overlaps trees in sailing view which looks particularly strange if you're
    beached on the northern edge of wooded land.

• First quest complete. Started the Merchent quest. Sailed almost due east for 3-5
    min(?) but the porthole went black, the wind direction disappeared. Tried to take a
    screenshot. When I alt tabbed out to open paint the game crashed. The screenshot
    turned out to be a black screen and I forgot to save the crash report windows
    generated. :|

• Alt-print screen always results in a black screenshot.

• I'm not sure about this part, the description I have is confusing, but anyway:
    picked up 16 units of wood. entered camp. dropped wood, no wood left in
    inventory. camp contains only one wood. repeated process. still only one wood.
    dropping 14 units of meat at camp resulted in 14 units of meat in camp.
    camp screen. Is that right?

• Is it possible to sail home yet? I didn't try sailing very far away from the island yet
    so I might have missed it.

I have a GeForce 560ti, btw.
Eigen
Level 10

Brobdingnagian ding dong

View Profile WWW
« Reply #383 on: December 13, 2012, 02:06:31 PM »

Thanks for letting me know of these issues. Some were new to me. I went ahead and fixed bugs #2 and #6. Silly mistakes really.

The game prompts me to update even though its up to date (v.4).

If you downloaded it right when I first uploaded it (Dec 3) then yes, I forgot to bump up the version number in the check there but fixed it pretty soon. Other than that I don't see how it could be broken.

Alt-print screen always results in a black screenshot.

Happens to me too in full-screen. Probably something to do with SFML, might have to take it up with them. It seems to be working in XP but not Win7.

Is it possible to sail home yet? I didn't try sailing very far away from the island yet
so I might have missed it.

If you are exploring then the little button next to the "End turn" button takes you back to the overworld. It's only enabled when you select a character that's actually in a ship. All other characters are left behind but you can simply go back if you forgot them. But if you leave them behind and go back to the home town, they are wiped from the game.

First quest complete. Started the Merchent quest. Sailed almost due east for 3-5
min(?) but the porthole went black, the wind direction disappeared. Tried to take a
screenshot. When I alt tabbed out to open paint the game crashed. The screenshot
turned out to be a black screen and I forgot to save the crash report windows
generated. :|

Hmm, strange. Yes, the game currently crashes when you reach the edge of the map (as we all know the Earth is flat and you simply drop off) but it took me well over a minute with ~8 times the normal speed. Still, could be that and I'll fix it up. Oh, actually the world should loop now that I think of it. Does the game always crash when you alt-tab out of it including when in town and when exploring?

Not sure what to do with the missing the island altogether. The location of the island isn't exactly fixed but it's randomized around a fixed point. The bounds of the map doesn't have to intersect the view as the check region is slightly larger but it's still possible to miss the island by being just 2 tiles too much to the south. At one point I considered a binocular functionality but the switching between them would be tedious. One option would be to increase the interesction area even more and simply present a small popup message telling the player "you see land to the north" or whatever. Then even though it's not visible on the screen you can still know about it.

I'm glad you like the weather effects. I like them too. Really simple effects but add to feel I think. Too bad the rain doesn't actually do anything. You can be soaked for weeks and still live without pneumonia. Tell me a crazier story ... Smiley

Haven't really thought about the UI as being "relaxing" but the fact that it's black plays a role I think. Early on in the devlog someones suggested the UI should be white and even posted a screenshot with the sidebar being white. It didn't work for me. It became very noticable and felt like it was above the game. Right now they feel as they are nearly on the same level. A visual level or something ... I can't really explain it either.

Will you be streaming this weekend too?

No, not this weekend. I'll be going to Pärnu to visit my mom and the Internet there can barely play YouTube. It will simply explode should I try to stream a 720p video.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2012, 02:15:18 PM by Eigen » Logged

haxpor
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #384 on: December 14, 2012, 01:07:45 AM »

I played the dev build 4, it's really nice and I love low-bit game like this!!
Looking forward to it.

The following is my feedback as far I played the game.
- Objective to get basic equipment seems tedious, I need to look back and forth and click to buy stuff, not mention that I have to gather a new crew first to make it go.
- I set sail to the far east, and found a small island, then I click on the water tile, it crashes.

Good luck!

Indie Game Developer
Eigen
Level 10

Brobdingnagian ding dong

View Profile WWW
« Reply #385 on: December 14, 2012, 01:46:42 AM »

Could you please try out this build and see if it behaves any different regarding the crash on clicking the water tiles. You can copy your save file to quickly try it out. It's in the data/savegames folder. Thanks.

Also, the label in bold in the bottom of the screen does state "Sail", right? A screenshot before the crash would help a lot. I could see what the actions list displays and such.

Chris Koźmik
Level 5

Silver Lemur Games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #386 on: December 14, 2012, 04:33:57 AM »

I had a crash (XP) upon clicking "Go explore" button.

Stellar Monarch 2 (dev log, IN DEVELOPMENT)
Stellar Monarch (dev log, released)
Eigen
Level 10

Brobdingnagian ding dong

View Profile WWW
« Reply #387 on: December 14, 2012, 04:48:18 AM »

Stupidbugcantfinditdamnandblastnowimpissedoffhellhowisthatevenpossible. What's really aggrevating is I can't reporoduce it on the 4 systems I have access to. No No NO

So all I can do is give you some modified executables. I'll remove code and you can tell me when it stops crashing. Try these here. Please unzip them both in the game folder and tell if either of them crashes.

Too bad I don't have any log file system implemented ... I guess I have to crank up the console logging and you can try running it from the command line. I'll get to that later today if those exes don't produce a result. Do please try them out if you can. I sent them to another guy about a week back and never heard back from him. I really want to get this sorted out but I can't do it on my own, sadly.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2012, 12:06:34 PM by Eigen » Logged

makerimages
Level 2

Makerimages Studios

View Profile WWW
« Reply #388 on: December 15, 2012, 02:30:19 AM »

just had this idea- make the quests load from an external file, so we could create and exhange our own quests!

Eigen
Level 10

Brobdingnagian ding dong

View Profile WWW
« Reply #389 on: December 16, 2012, 01:32:45 PM »

just had this idea- make the quests load from an external file, so we could create and exhange our own quests!

Not a bad idea and I've thought about it myself but there's more (or will be, rather) than just giving description texts and defining objectives and rewards. Often you want to tie game logic into it so for that I'd need to add scripting support but that's no small task and I don't think I want to undertake it right now, I'm swamped as it is.

Oh, okay, might as well ask this right now as I've been thinking about it for a while now.

Would anyone be interested in joining the development of Pioneers and giving me a hand with programming? It's not the most complex project so I'm not expecting 3 years of experience but at least one release under the belt would be great. The game's done in C++ using the SFML multimedia library so any experience with that would be bonus but there's nothing complex to it, I assure you. Obviously I can't pay for as of now but I am very passionate about it and determined to complete it and hopefully release it commercially. Since I can't pay I also won't expect full-time commitment. You'd work when you can and when you feel like it, as I do, but a little dedication goes a long way. The main thing is to believe in the game.

I understand if nobody's interested as joining someone else's project mid-way could feel a bit iffy but I'm a friendly guy and there's great hope the game won't be a complete flop Smiley

Plus having someone else work on the actual gameplay side of things would force me to formalize and write down some of the ideas for the game. Right now it's all in my head. And don't worry, lots of the things are still undeveloped so you can have your say. In fact I think it would be great to be able to share ideas as designing the game isn't really my strong suit.

PM me if interested.

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #390 on: December 16, 2012, 02:22:22 PM »

I would offer to help, but I know myself well enough to acknowledge I'm not reliable enough when it comes to these kind of internet commitments.
happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #391 on: December 16, 2012, 02:26:10 PM »

I've afraid that I haven't got much time to work on my own game at the moment, and also although I find this kind of game interesting, it's not a genre I like to play.  Sad
Eigen
Level 10

Brobdingnagian ding dong

View Profile WWW
« Reply #392 on: December 16, 2012, 02:43:57 PM »

I understand completely. Everyone's got their own thing to work on and their own dream to pursue. It's difficult to jump onto another bandwagon.

overlordror
Level 0

Editor-in-chief of bears

View Profile WWW
« Reply #393 on: December 17, 2012, 01:51:59 AM »

Hi Eigen,

I know you're looking for help to finish Pioneers and sadly I don't have the required expertise, but I do want to encourage you to finish the game. I downloaded the release version last night and played well into the wee hours of the morning past when I should be up.

It really tickles all the spots that the rogue-like exploration genre do for me and so far you've done it well. I didn't really experience any problems with the game so far, but I'm only running it on a mediocre i3 with intel hd 3000 graphics, so there's not much to go wrong.

http://NintyGamer.com | Managing Editor
makerimages
Level 2

Makerimages Studios

View Profile WWW
« Reply #394 on: December 21, 2012, 09:28:39 AM »

Eigen must be dead due to the end of the world passed. WE WANT SOME SORT OF UPDATE!

makerimages
Level 2

Makerimages Studios

View Profile WWW
« Reply #395 on: December 28, 2012, 12:13:09 AM »

its been a while since a update, so I`m asking: Do you use a custom font or something that is on win by default or did you download a font??

Eigen
Level 10

Brobdingnagian ding dong

View Profile WWW
« Reply #396 on: December 28, 2012, 01:42:42 AM »

There hasn't been an update because there's not much going on right now. I'll try to get back on track after new year. I use bitmap fonts I generate myself. Some are basic Windows fonts but some I downloaded from a font site somewhere.

I do have one annoucement to make. Everybody, say hello to Joshua who was kind and awesome enough to offer me his help and is now part of the all studs development team. Josh, if you get a moment drop by and wave your hand like you mean it. Hand Clap

makerimages
Level 2

Makerimages Studios

View Profile WWW
« Reply #397 on: December 28, 2012, 08:33:02 AM »

say hello to Joshua

Hello, Joshua!

Jokes aside, it's awesome to hear this, I stongly hope this will only mean good.

Joshua
Level 5

Be rad to one another!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #398 on: December 28, 2012, 10:55:34 AM »

Hello everyone! You may have seen me and my pixels around the site, but for my day job I'm a software architect. I'm really happy to be on board, and I hope to make a positive impact on the project!  Beer!

Quarry
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #399 on: December 29, 2012, 12:38:59 AM »

Will you be doing artwork?
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 40
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic