Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 05:54:10 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsPIONEERS (Build 7)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 40
Print
Author Topic: PIONEERS (Build 7)  (Read 149864 times)
eobet
Level 4

8-bit childhood

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: May 07, 2012, 03:30:45 AM »

Oh, my word... to my old 8-bit heart, this looks like a wonderful cross between Ultima 4 and Pirates! The nostalgia is STRONG.

The only thing more I would wish for, after looking at these screens, are more varied tiles. The old games couldn't afford them, but I think you can. And I don't mean just three different grass tiles, but small unique details you can come across while exploring.

And what I meant would not just be graphical rewards for finding something, but also perhaps have a small gameplay impact. Something similar to all the little neat stuff you can find in the Heroes of Might & Magic games, which gives you a small bonus, perhaps?

stevesan
Level 3

Experienced coder, n00b designer.

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 07, 2012, 07:39:46 AM »

Lookin awesome man...so awesome

Quarry
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 07, 2012, 07:46:12 AM »

IT'S BEEN 3 DAYS, EIGEN ARE YOU DEAD, WE DEMAND UPDATES
peous
Level 2

Indie opportunist

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 07, 2012, 09:51:03 AM »

Hand Fork Left pixel+generated+rpg+characters+attributes=good Hand Knife Right

Eigen
Level 10

Brobdingnagian ding dong

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: May 07, 2012, 11:41:14 AM »

Thanks for the comments everybody, it means a lot. Beers on me! Toast Right

IT'S BEEN 3 DAYS, EIGEN ARE YOU DEAD, WE DEMAND UPDATES

Sir, yes, sir. Lots of updates. Updates for everybody. But not yet. Soon. Meanwhile, I DEMAND you go and work on your own game.

This keeps sounding better and better. Like the old school attribute rolling for character generation. Takes me back to playing Demons Winter.

Sadly, I haven't played it. It's not a kind of game I would've been able to get my hands on around here back then. That is, in early-mid 90's in an ex-soviet country having just regained its independence (basically no Internet and not a lot of games going around), when I got my first computer. So, the early and even a lot of later RPG games kind of went past me.

The only thing more I would wish for, after looking at these screens, are more varied tiles. The old games couldn't afford them, but I think you can. And I don't mean just three different grass tiles, but small unique details you can come across while exploring.

And what I meant would not just be graphical rewards for finding something, but also perhaps have a small gameplay impact. Something similar to all the little neat stuff you can find in the Heroes of Might & Magic games, which gives you a small bonus, perhaps?

Yes, I'll be adding some terrain variations and definitely some unique things here and there, which I'll add once I figure out exactly what they should be. I'm still deep in technical aspects of things, haven't gotten to much gameplay yet Sad

Hand Fork Left pixel+generated+rpg+characters+attributes=good Hand Knife Right

Yum-yum.

Quarry
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 07, 2012, 01:11:19 PM »

ON MY WAY!
Eigen
Level 10

Brobdingnagian ding dong

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: May 09, 2012, 09:39:36 PM »

A quick update to show that I'm not dead or overrun by an angry mob of flesh eating kittens. Though I haven't been much active these past few days, there are still a few things that have been done.

Devlog 4

* Stuff can now be built (options include only a small camp at this point that needs no resources)
* In the main menu, you can now change character stats manually after rolling (oh wow ...)
* SOUND! I have implemented sound management, lots of UI sounds and quite a few ambient sounds. The world feel much more alive now. You'll be able to hear these once I get a new video done (later this evening I guess). To match the visuals, I create all sounds using a noise generator and simple sine/square bleeps and bloops. I'm using the awesome sfxr program. I'm undecided whether there should be background music, which of course could be turned off but it masks a lot of the sounds.

Here are some screenshots. Have a look at them, enjoy them, fall in love with them, make babies with them.

« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 11:14:15 PM by Eigen » Logged

Quarry
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 10, 2012, 01:32:12 AM »

*drools*
Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: May 10, 2012, 02:53:04 AM »

This just keeps looking and sounding better.

emacs
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: May 10, 2012, 01:10:30 PM »

Awesome!  Can't wait to hear those new sounds.

happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: May 10, 2012, 01:19:43 PM »

Would it look better if the GUI was black text on a white background?
emacs
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: May 10, 2012, 01:24:04 PM »

Not really (IMO at least).
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 03:43:22 PM by ev149 » Logged

happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: May 10, 2012, 01:29:25 PM »

I quite like that!
Quarry
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 10, 2012, 08:13:45 PM »

Looks pretty neat, should be included as an option
Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: May 10, 2012, 10:21:42 PM »

I prefer the old version, but could be good to have it as an option for people who prefer the new one.

Eigen
Level 10

Brobdingnagian ding dong

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: May 10, 2012, 11:59:52 PM »

I admit, light text on dark background isn't the best design choice for reading, but I'm not planning to have screens full of text anyway.

Thanks for the edit. It's sort of working for the window but I don't really like the white sidebar. The white makes it very noticable and look like, I don't know, paper texture almost, which would fit a tycoon game of some sorts where there was stuff to do with documents and the whole office theme. The dark sidebar on the other hand lets you focus on the game/map more easily.

I might add an option to invert the colors of windows that pop up but leave the menubar and the sidebar black. It's quite a bit of work, because there's more than just inverting the palette.

Quarry
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 11, 2012, 01:27:47 AM »

1. Do you use bitmap fonts or TTF

2. Do you save your images in color or have black, dark gray, light gray, white which are changed to constant colors after being loaded?

I do the way I said (Black, 127-gray, white and transparent where black gray and white are changed to colors I define while being loaded) and it works really well if I want to test colors to see how stuff look and I also can have palette files to load colors from to be directly used in the game!
Eigen
Level 10

Brobdingnagian ding dong

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: May 11, 2012, 02:11:20 AM »

1. I use my own bitmap fonts
2. Palette is defined in code and is dynamically applied to an grayscale image on load. Just like you do.

That is not the problem. The problem is, that some widgets don't quite look right by just replacing the colors. The window in the screenshot for example. If the background were to be white, then the outline and the corner details would need to be pulled inward to leave an white border, otherwise it blends in with the shadow on the bottom and on the left. Then the list with construction options would have to be a few pixels narrower because it should fit between the outline (the black one). Things like that. Makes supporting either color scheme a bit tedious. Could be remedied with some dynamic adjustments implemented for widgets but I don't feel like it's the most urgent thing at this point. Smiley

nihilocrat
Level 10

Full of stars.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: May 11, 2012, 08:57:21 PM »

My Word!
Looks awesome! Hope there's the ability to die of dysentery! Waaagh!

Eigen
Level 10

Brobdingnagian ding dong

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: May 12, 2012, 02:24:26 AM »

Hope there's the ability to die of dysentery! Waaagh!

Oh come on, what kind of game is that where you can't die of dysentery?! A kind of game not worth playing, I says! Well, hello there!

I did some nature pixeling this morning. I knew I was going to struggle with drawing the fir/pine trees so I'd been putting it off for some time now. I tried it before and couldn't get the shape right. I was trying too much to draw the separate branches instead of just the general shape. Still took me way longer as expected. Pushing pixels is difficult and I envy the people who can (seemingly) do it effortlessly.

« Last Edit: May 12, 2012, 02:33:52 AM by Eigen » Logged

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 40
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic