Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411514 Posts in 69380 Topics- by 58436 Members - Latest Member: GlitchyPSI

May 01, 2024, 03:37:30 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsPIONEERS (Build 7)
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 40
Print
Author Topic: PIONEERS (Build 7)  (Read 149973 times)
Quarry
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #440 on: January 29, 2013, 12:14:36 AM »

Why does it make me think of WC3...
makerimages
Level 2

Makerimages Studios

View Profile WWW
« Reply #441 on: January 29, 2013, 02:18:41 AM »

I really, really like it!!!!!

Makerimages-Its in the pixel
Eigen
Level 10

Brobdingnagian ding dong

View Profile WWW
« Reply #442 on: January 29, 2013, 02:52:32 AM »

Yes, Josh did an excellent work with a task that turned out to be way more complicated than I expected. I touched up some of the tile pieces and changed pathfinder slightly to handle the ramps properly.

(Click)

I had a nightmare tonight. I dreamt of losing a lot of progress on the game and were thrown back to where I was about half a year ago. Checking the topic around page 12-13 has me shivering. No way could I re-resume from that point. Luckily in the real world I have the Git repository, backups and backups of backups. Unless a huge magnetic storm hits all should be well. This morning I thought how funny it would be to print out a whole class. Something like 7000 lines of code preferably on a single continuous piece of paper. That would be awesome. I wonder is there even a way to print such a thing?

Why does it make me think of WC3...

I don't know? Why?

I really, really like it!!!!!

Appreciated.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 02:58:45 AM by Eigen » Logged

tchassin
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #443 on: January 29, 2013, 04:35:48 AM »

Latest screens looks awesome, you've really come a long way since you started this thread. Keep it up!  Beer! Beer!

Quarry
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #444 on: January 29, 2013, 04:58:02 AM »

Oh, right, ramps and elevated terrain
jO
Level 4

Adventure awaits!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #445 on: January 29, 2013, 05:25:35 AM »

Amazing progress!
The obvious question that immediately comes to my mind - will I be able to climb up/down at edges (with some effort)? Are there different types of cliffs? (like ones that are climbable, ones that are not)

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #446 on: January 29, 2013, 12:28:36 PM »

This game is turning into the definitive pioneer sim, to which all other pioneer sims will be judged. When's the release? Evil

Quarry
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #447 on: January 29, 2013, 01:07:09 PM »

Before HL3!
JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #448 on: January 29, 2013, 02:45:15 PM »

That could still be after the heat death of the universe...
koiwai
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #449 on: January 29, 2013, 03:09:07 PM »

It is not proved yet that the laws of thermodinamics are applicable at the scale of the whole universe.

Ashkin
« Reply #450 on: January 29, 2013, 08:26:55 PM »

It is not proved yet that the laws of thermodinamics are applicable at the scale of the whole universe.
It's logical that they would be though...
Eigen
Level 10

Brobdingnagian ding dong

View Profile WWW
« Reply #451 on: January 31, 2013, 02:30:11 AM »

Thanks, guys. You're awesome! All of you. No exceptions.

This game is turning into the definitive pioneer sim, to which all other pioneer sims will be judged. When's the release? Evil

That statement is making my legs wobble with fear.
*wobble-wobble*
I'm hoping to release August-September this year. Ninja

Amazing progress!
The obvious question that immediately comes to my mind - will I be able to climb up/down at edges (with some effort)? Are there different types of cliffs? (like ones that are climbable, ones that are not)

Yes, I have planned Scouts to have a skill to climb up mountains with their bare hands no less. That would use up most of the movement points of that turn. They could then throw down a rope for others to climb up. You could also build a ladder of sorts. No differentiation in cliffs right now. While easy to code it'd be quite difficult to represent graphically to make it easy to understand.

You might get some floating point rounding errors near the outskirts of the universe. True story. Unless the universe is always centered around you, the viewer.

Working on a secret feature for the new build. Can't show it. Can't talk about it. Hah! But I think you'll like it.

Evil

makerimages
Level 2

Makerimages Studios

View Profile WWW
« Reply #452 on: January 31, 2013, 06:03:30 AM »

Those last lines got me exited... what on earth could it be.. Multiplayer??? Nah, problably not.. staying tuned for more.

Makerimages-Its in the pixel
Eigen
Level 10

Brobdingnagian ding dong

View Profile WWW
« Reply #453 on: February 11, 2013, 01:16:22 PM »

Some update of the quicker kind. Among other things I implemented a little feature to allow pinning UI elements to a position on the map so when you move around the element moves along which allows me to do this:

This is the new context menu. Not exactly a neccesary improvement but an improvement nonetheless because I quite often click something but then look elsewhere for a second and forget what I just clicked. Now the panel points to the tile/object in question. Plus, it looks better than the previous black menu.

Instead of an previous ugly window popping up with a bland list of resources available for that object I now use the same pinned widget sytle. The pickup button is grayed out because I haven't cut down the forest nor am I actually close enough. All in all I think this sort of popup style is more immediate than a static window that shows up and blocks everything.

I have a big chunk of functionality I hope to complete this week before going back to work. Let's see if everything goes according to plan.

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #454 on: February 11, 2013, 01:57:51 PM »

cool, i think it looks very clear

Quarry
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #455 on: February 11, 2013, 02:05:14 PM »

Pretty good, the 60.0 units reminds me of Miniconomy lots
Eigen
Level 10

Brobdingnagian ding dong

View Profile WWW
« Reply #456 on: February 11, 2013, 02:18:32 PM »

Thanks, eigenbom and Quarry.

I think I've mentioned it here somewhere but units is a concius decision since all the numbers are totally arbitrary and adding real units to that would feel out of place. Forest contains 60 of what? Cubic meters of wood? Kilos of wood? How much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood? Shrug

Units for everything!

koiwai
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #457 on: February 11, 2013, 02:32:19 PM »

looks neat. nice update )

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #458 on: February 11, 2013, 02:39:53 PM »

Hmm as you mention it Unit feels way out of place to me. It's a very modern term. But this is a game set many centuries in the past, right? Why not use terms like: "60 logs", "40 barrels", "20 quaffs", "30 hands of corn", etc?

rivon
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #459 on: February 12, 2013, 02:17:56 PM »

Why not do it like Age of Empires and other games? (no units, just an icon and a unitless number)
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 40
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic