Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 08:14:57 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsPIONEERS (Build 7)
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40
Print
Author Topic: PIONEERS (Build 7)  (Read 149867 times)
Eigen
Level 10

Brobdingnagian ding dong

View Profile WWW
« Reply #760 on: February 08, 2016, 05:49:38 AM »

Reporting for duty!

Will try and post an update in a few days. Haven't stopped working, don't worry Smiley Busy refactoring the crap I've written over the past few years. It's as much fun as you can imagine.

kleiba
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #761 on: February 08, 2016, 01:58:22 PM »

Yay!

(Well, I read a couple of times on the forums here how devs say that getting feedback in their thread is a big motivation boost. Some come and get some! :-))
Mete
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #762 on: February 08, 2016, 04:04:44 PM »

Yey! This game is great, I remember that I used to get lost in the oceans trying to find something.

Will be following again!
Eigen
Level 10

Brobdingnagian ding dong

View Profile WWW
« Reply #763 on: February 17, 2016, 01:19:19 PM »

Having not updated this devlog for so long where do you even start? First of all, the project is still on-going. Progress is slow but it always been I think. So if you're still keeping an eye on this game, thank you. If you follow me on Twitter or Tumblr none of this devlog is really new to you.

For the last few months my main effort has gone into refactoring. Items and inventories have been cleaned up to rely more on dragging and dropping rather than context menus and whatnot. Stripped out most of the item code and replaced it with something more generic and extendable. Items are all now defined in Lua and they consist of basic properties as such:

This makes adding and changing items a breeze. Then I needed a simple way to present inventories in all sorts of different game windows, so I added a widget which takes the inventory and desired grid size and populates it automatically.

Items that are stackable, meaning there's only one copy of the item with variable amount, are clearly visible. Should you come across a treasure chest, a dead body or other objects of interest, this is basically what you'd see:

Apart from item refactoring I've also been ripping out and replacing code that actually controls your party and happenings on the screen. A little while ago I made the decision to switch over to a more traditional 4-member party RPG kind of game, so you no longer control each individual character. This caused quite an issue with.. how do I put it.. everything. The best way to view everything now is to consider the "party" an aggregate of all its members. So if one member has Skill A and another one has Skill B then the party can perform whatever Skill A and Skill B allow for. Same for attributes - if a heavy rock requires 20 STR to move out of the way then the strength attributes of all members combined need to add up to at least 20. Combat is where individual attributes and skills come into play but I'll get to that.

The decision came from the fact that it's really annoying to move 4 characters every turn, even if it offered some pros like being able to cover more ground in different directions. The current system feels better to play in my mind. It also allowed to really clean up some of the UI annoyances and streamline actions. Like, you don't need to have the axe or shovel actually selected to perform certain actions (that was really announg previously). Them simply being present is enough. Of course, the more characters have tools, the quicker the job gets done.

Compared to the previous version the sidebar is now much cleaner but not final obviously. Clicking on the portrait opens the character details showing items, equipment slots, skills, attributes etc. The portraits pose a challenge. As you can probably tell these guys look pretty ugly with greens and blues. I intend to add female characters as well and they might look worse still... Anyway, that might be fixable going for a more clean art-style but what is not so easily fixable in my mind is showing characters of different skin colors. Blue and green skin? No. Black..? I have doubts in my artistic abilities to pull it off but I'll certainly try.

Now, to arms! Okay not literally, but a quick overview of the combat system. I decided to scrap the more involved text-based thing shown in one of the last posts because I didn't think it would be very fun in the end and it'd make localizing the game too much of a pain. So I went with something far more arcade-y.

You have 3 basic types of attack each of which you can use once. Once they're all used their availability is reset. Each attack has a value which is calculated from character attributes, weapons and skills. This is where individual expertise still matter.

Force
This attack incorporates character strength, favors heavy hitting weapons and proficiencies related to that.

Speed
This attack incorporates character agility, smaller nimble weapons and proficiencies related to that.

Precision
This attack incorporates character perception, more ranged weapons generally and proficiencies related to that.

As you choose an attack, an additional D6 is rolled incorporating luck into the equation. As the final number (attack value + luck) is added up, it is compared against the opponent's. If it's greater or equal then your attack lands, otherwise you miss and get hit. In the beginning of the encounter opponent numbers are hidden from you. With each hit or miss you deduce the target number or its range. So, if 30 is not enough to hit, then the target number must be 31 or greater. If next turn you find that 34 is enough, then the number lies between 31 and 34. Even though opponents (bears, wolves) are the same, their stats are always different. The opponent attribute values and hit points depend on whether you’re against a single foe or a group of them. So, a pack of wolves is still a singular opponent like a lone wolf, but their numbers and hitpoints are greater.

Each character can attack once per round and use whatever attack is still available. So, if your first guy uses Force attack, then the second one can choose from Speed or Precision. Think of it as being a situational thing where either you or the opponent is an position which prevents certain attacks from being used. Like, if one gets close and attacks with a heavy battle-axe, then they remain in the way so there's no way somebody else could deliver a heavy blow without hitting your friend as well. So, they have to use another attack.

There are also bonus actions that either help reduce the luck in play or get additional damage or other actions. These are still WIP. You get a bonus point at the end of each combat round (everyone has attacked) or when you roll a 6 and get a critical hit. There's also a Longshot bonus (+1 damage) which you get if you choose the lowest available attack instead of the large go-to numbers.

That's about it for now I think. The idea is to incorporate all that into the game next. Everything exists individually but is not tied in properly. Before I conclude this post, have a look at a couple of mood images. Might find use for them in a cut-scene somewhere. I was just playing around with the colors for fun.

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #764 on: February 17, 2016, 02:20:09 PM »

Noice
vividhelix
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #765 on: February 17, 2016, 04:48:44 PM »

Glad to see this is still alive, was looking forward to it a while back when I was checking devlogs here more often!

Kurtis Beaulac
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #766 on: February 18, 2016, 11:39:20 AM »

Great post, can't wait to try it. When will be the 8th build?
Eigen
Level 10

Brobdingnagian ding dong

View Profile WWW
« Reply #767 on: March 21, 2016, 01:39:07 AM »

Great post, can't wait to try it. When will be the 8th build?

When it's ready Wink

Yesterday I was working on a temple interior tileset. Pretty happy with it but there will be a couple of additional wall variants probably. The temples will most likely be a series of rooms each with a little puzzle to solve. Pushing/pulling blocks to pressure plates, switch sequences, weighted pedestials or whatever. As the game progresses, temples will have more and more rooms until you reach the treasure. Initially I will create the rooms by hand but perhaps that part can be automated as well. We'll see.

The first color scheme is the current cave one, the second one is just an experimentation. Different temples could use different colors, or maybe rooms will be different colors depending on their difficulty.

Nothing says ancient temple like a bicycle chain motif in my mind... Roll Eyes

Eigen
Level 10

Brobdingnagian ding dong

View Profile WWW
« Reply #768 on: April 01, 2016, 02:50:28 AM »

For the longest of times pacing has been an issue with Pioneers. If there's one comment I get all the time it's that people have hard time keeping up with the twitchy gameplay. And I just want to say: I hear you and I agree. I too find myself struggling at times when the game just expects too much from me. I am not a quick man and I'm sure you aren't either. The times around us seem to move faster and faster each day, so I'd like my game to help balance that.

Introducing the inclusion of the all new postal correspondence two-player mode.

All you need to do is find a friend or a person you want to befriend and form great memories with, locate a pen and some paper and you're ready to go. Each turn you complete the game gives you a long string on numbers and characters that you need to pass to the other player. When they enter all this without making a single mistake, they get to go and reply with a similar letter.

What fond memories you will create over this, I'm sure!

If you have any questions, feel free to reply and don't forget to check the calendar and mark it so you don't miss the public beta.

kleiba
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #769 on: April 01, 2016, 12:49:38 PM »

Cheeky!
Eigen
Level 10

Brobdingnagian ding dong

View Profile WWW
« Reply #770 on: April 30, 2016, 02:21:32 AM »

“The only way out was through. We set going.”

cloudgods
Level 0

im j

View Profile WWW
« Reply #771 on: April 30, 2016, 05:54:12 AM »

I'm in love with the UI in this game, it carries a lot of character. The tunnel tilesets are also really lovely!

Eigen
Level 10

Brobdingnagian ding dong

View Profile WWW
« Reply #772 on: May 15, 2016, 06:21:57 AM »

I'm in love with the UI in this game, it carries a lot of character. The tunnel tilesets are also really lovely!

Thanks! Smiley

Will write a proper devlog post soon but here's a little progress update.

As part of implementing a new control scheme the sidebar got a little overhaul, especially the actions panel. Simplifying the UI has been an ongoing process for years as it's been the main concern of players. The change is rather drastic I think. Both visually and in the ways I've had to optimize the game mechanics to be able to remove all the clutter and features that previously had to be presented. Simply removing a button is not an option and moving it to another place is not a solution.

It's been an interesting challenge and I've definitely learned a lot.

boogieman
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #773 on: September 11, 2016, 06:44:37 PM »

Just catching up on the devlog.  I really like the idea of not having to control party members individually.  Doing so seems a bit like busy work.  I think the game will really benefit from this and the other streamlining action.

Just want to say thanks for making such a fun game.  It's one of those games that really add to the quality of life for the players!
CesarD8
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #774 on: October 19, 2016, 02:01:41 PM »

Shiieeet man, the art style is awesome.

Eigen
Level 10

Brobdingnagian ding dong

View Profile WWW
« Reply #775 on: October 20, 2016, 12:03:29 PM »

Eeeyyy everybody, it's yo boy Angry Game Developer aka Game Playa aka Eigen and back at it again with another devlog. It's been what, a millenia since I last posted anything? Writing these posts takes a while and I've been lazy like that. The summer's passed and it was pretty busy. I didn't have much vacation time but spent most of the time I had on the game. Rewriting, refactoring, fixing and tweaking. Gotten into a groove lately but some days are really tiring. I get home from work around 6 .. 6:30 and the last thing you wanna do at that point is programming. But I've been trying to push myself to work an additional hour, preferrably two, on the game every day. It's got nothing to do with motivation but rather discipline. Been also trying to share more images and stuff on Twitter to motivate myself at least a little. Thanks everybody for the comments and retweets. It really means a lot to me.

Just catching up on the devlog.  I really like the idea of not having to control party members individually.  Doing so seems a bit like busy work.  I think the game will really benefit from this and the other streamlining action.

Just want to say thanks for making such a fun game.  It's one of those games that really add to the quality of life for the players!

Thanks, I think so too. There are benefits to being able to control individual characters but it also complicates everything. I really like the current system although I'm not entirely happy with how some proficiencies (previously skills) play out. Like only one member having a climbing skill but still being able to climb up cliffs with the whole gang, albeit more slowly.

Shiieeet man, the art style is awesome.

Smiley

So, what is new? What's happening?

Warning: lots of images!

Been spending a lot of time rewriting current systems because things were fast becoming unmanagable. Just finished rewriting the tutorial into a proper quest script, it was a very ad hoc solution previously. Works a treat now and is easily extendable to include new steps. The quest script is completely self-contained, so it makes all the modifications to the world it needs (adds some objects, changes tile properties) and manages player progress.

I've been adding indoor areas. These include caves and temples and other special purpose rooms. Room persistence is on my plate right now. It means whenever you discover and explore a new cave its tiles and objects are saved whole, so whenever you go back to it all the resources you've collected and dead bodies left behind will still be there.

Added hunting and fishing. Nothing special, just a little minigame.

There's also basic crafting now but it's too incomplete to discuss any further right now. Basically you'll be able to make simple tools, weapons and other items. Things similar to what you can buy from the store in towns but a lot more cruder and less efficient. I'm guessing I'll add recipes basically which you have to learn to be able to make something. And even then you get better at making something the more you do it (getting better completes items faster and uses/wastes less material).

I then completely changed how you interact with the world. Previously you would right-click and select actions from the context menu but there were issues with it, especially being able to right click anywhere away from you.. sometimes you were able to traverse there, sometimes not, and it made things too complex. Now available actions are populated as you move. There are actions you can perform on your current square and squares next to you. To see the action you just move your cursor over the square and it pops up next to the cursor. When there are more actions available you scroll through them with the mousewheel. Basically, if you can move onto the square its actions are only available if you move there. If the tile or the object on it is not directly reachable you'll have to be next to it to engage.

That leaves right clicking available for other interactions. Right now it serves as an "examine" button. You get a little text prompt and a small graphic to describe the object.

I also experimented with showing actions in that window but it felt too much like the old right-click context menu.

The sidebar action buttons now work as well, all implemented in Lua. There's a new action called "survey" which takes a while to perform but essentially opens up large chunk of the map around you, given trees aren't blocking vision. The higher you are and the better survey gear the further you can see.

That brings me to Action Points. As you would expect these are used to perform actions. Most actions take 1 or 2 points but some, like the surveying, takes around 20. Each character in the party has 3-6 or 7 AP which are then all added up. So if you're trekking alone and have 4 AP to spend you take 5 turns to complete the surveying action. So the more members you have, the more you can do each turn. AP are reset every turn. The number of points for each character depends on their attribute points. If you're boring and set all attributes to being pretty much equal you get a bland character and like 3 AP in return. If you set some attributes low and max out others your character is considered being talented/more interesting/capable and rewarded with more AP.

Adding AP was one of the change done to player characters. There are also now portraits to choose between. No customization yet, but pretty faces like this:

So, all of that put together makes the game look like this right now. Here I am playing the tutorial quest and Takoda and I just reached some water we need to swim across to reach Oldden after survining the shipwreck. Since the game is now fully party based, Takoda can temporarily be a member and there's no need to implement any following logic like previously..

(Thumbnail)

Towns have also gotten a little overhaul. One of the more common feedback from players was that towns felt confusing as you just clicked on buildings and the characters didn't move around even if they were visible on the pier. I addressed that by using the same interaction logic as described previously. Unified as frick! You click anywhere and the party moves there. When near to buildings and objects actions become visible. Also made the towns larger to fit more locations and special things. Like so (pretty much full image. Not visible like this in game):

(Thumbnail)

In game it's more like this:

(Thumbnail)

Since Halloween is coming up soon, here's a spooky crypt I've been working on. Sidequest sort of thing. Expect spooks.

Sample of music composed just for this area

Anyway, that's about it for this time. No ETA for next build yet, sorry. Embarrassed

If you made it this far, thanks for reading. Until next decade!
« Last Edit: October 20, 2016, 12:15:39 PM by Eigen » Logged

Rarykos
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #776 on: October 22, 2016, 04:24:01 AM »

Great to see you're still working here! :D

Yeah, my biggest problem was the towns, and I'm super happy to hear you're improving them and making them less confusing!
What felt really weird is that all the buildings looked the same, for example I would be looking for one building in the tutorial, but I had really no idea and no clue where to start searching. So like every player I started from top left and started going to bottom right saying "ok not this building, not this building, maybe this one? oh this one isn't even labeled but looks like other -active- buildings."  Shrug

And I had a desire to move the city map, dunno why.  Who, Me?

So that's my thoughts. I'm looking forward to seeing what other amazing things you put in there, because the game is really interesting, the art style is awesome and I love the fact you're expanding it. So, good luck!

boogieman
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #777 on: October 22, 2016, 09:33:30 AM »

Looking great.  That crypt music is great.  Really atmospheric!  Glad to hear the towns are getting a revamp too. 
Ninety
Level 1

turnip boy

View Profile
« Reply #778 on: October 22, 2016, 05:24:49 PM »

So glad this is still in development. I'll never get tired of that four-colour palette.

Eigen
Level 10

Brobdingnagian ding dong

View Profile WWW
« Reply #779 on: February 09, 2017, 12:30:12 PM »

Hand Any Key

Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic