Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411491 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 04:17:47 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsPIONEERS (Build 7)
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 40
Print
Author Topic: PIONEERS (Build 7)  (Read 149872 times)
Eigen
Level 10

Brobdingnagian ding dong

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: May 16, 2012, 12:15:14 PM »

EDIT: also can you overlay sprites on top of eachother and display them all at once as only one sprite

If you mean batching, then you can't do that with Sprites, you still need separate draw calls. You can however create VertexArrays containings Quads for example, which you can render in one draw call. These quads would all have to use the same texture, but you can change the texture coordinates, so if you merge several textures into one, you could draw different stuff.

Sakar
« Reply #81 on: May 16, 2012, 02:53:45 PM »

Another cool thing to do with SFML is rendering stuff to a RenderTexture and drawing that as one sprite. That's what I do in my roguelike to efficiently draw lots of tiles.

Anyway back on topic, this is looking quite nice. I think having to bury the dead to not attract animals is a great idea
Quarry
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 16, 2012, 08:11:32 PM »

Augh.... So I have to multiply the positions by 2 too? :[
Eigen
Level 10

Brobdingnagian ding dong

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: May 16, 2012, 08:50:53 PM »

Depends on how you handle your Object position and how you manage your Camera/Viewport. I keep the objects positions unscaled and multiply them just before drawing since my viewport positions are scaled.

I might get around to unifying and re-writing that part eventually.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 10:56:22 PM by Eigen » Logged

Eigen
Level 10

Brobdingnagian ding dong

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: May 19, 2012, 09:25:42 AM »

Try out the tech demo!

Download here (Windows)

You can't do much but you can get a feel for the game, although the world is really empty so really, you don't. Oh well. On to first order of business. Does it run? Any DLL file missing?

There are plenty of issues that I'm aware of, such as you can build a camp at any distance from your position and sometimes when you want to board the ship, it does so instantly without traveling to the ship first (if you are away). No eating and drinking yet. No inventory. Just you wandering around and potentially dying if you don't rest somewhere.

All kinds of feedback is welcome. And I'm scared now, because it's out there Smiley

How to play

* Move around the map by either using the arrow keys or WASD
* You can switch between characters by either pressing the TAB key or clicking on the name in the sidebar. A list then pops up.
* To open the actions menu, you can choose it from the menubar or by right clicking on the game area.
* Shortcut key for ending the turn is E
« Last Edit: May 19, 2012, 10:08:38 AM by Eigen » Logged

Quarry
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 19, 2012, 09:35:52 AM »

ohmafoogingawd
sabajt
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: May 19, 2012, 09:49:25 AM »

Works for me on windows 7.  Fun just poking around in it!  Hard to give feedback now as there isn't much to do but looking forward to more of the game.

Quarry
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 19, 2012, 09:50:32 AM »

Something that annoyed me alot is that map isn't scaled
DustyDrake
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 19, 2012, 10:01:27 AM »

I made a party of 4 people, disembarked one and had him walk around 'till he died.
I then couldn't do anything, is there a button to go back to controlling the ship?

Eigen
Level 10

Brobdingnagian ding dong

View Profile WWW
« Reply #89 on: May 19, 2012, 10:04:17 AM »

Works for me on windows 7. Fun just poking around in it! Hard to give feedback now as there isn't much to do but looking forward to more of the game.

Thanks, actual stuff to do is coming soon. Things can only get better from now on (not so famous last words Roll Eyes)

Something that annoyed me alot is that map isn't scaled

The map is mostly for debugging atm. Eventually it will be much larger, scrollable (if needed) and only discovered areas will be shown. Also, cartography will come into play, so depending on the mapping skills, the map is either accurate or distorted.

I made a party of 4 people, disembarked one and had him walk around 'till he died.
I then couldn't do anything, is there a button to go back to controlling the ship?

Sorry, I should've given some instructions. You can switch between characters by either pressing the TAB key or clicking on the name in the sidebar. A list then pops up.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2012, 10:11:17 AM by Eigen » Logged

Quarry
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: May 19, 2012, 10:14:32 AM »

cartography

MY WALLETS
Eigen
Level 10

Brobdingnagian ding dong

View Profile WWW
« Reply #91 on: May 19, 2012, 10:40:19 PM »

cartography
MY WALLETS

I shall not be held accountable for features that might not be implemented in the end. Gentleman

I just need a pretty way to represent the map, also something that would make deforming it inaccurate easy. Verticessomethingsomething probably. We'll see.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2012, 11:05:07 PM by Eigen » Logged

Quarry
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 19, 2012, 11:24:19 PM »

I'd rather have places far away from you use randomized pixels rather than an actual disortion
Eigen
Level 10

Brobdingnagian ding dong

View Profile WWW
« Reply #93 on: May 19, 2012, 11:35:14 PM »

On the map, you shouldn't be able to see any further than the areas you've explored. I'm not sure if the map should be generated automatically or not. One idea is that you pick the character with cartography skills and then click "draw up map" and it draws up a piece of map in a certain radius of the character. That would get tedious I think. A better solution would be that the map drawing happens automatically but it takes time, so you need to stay in one area for a while. The longer you stay put, the more accurate the map is. How accurate the map should be and if it's even needed at all is up to the player.

IndieGamesDig
Level 0

asdfjkl

View Profile WWW
« Reply #94 on: May 20, 2012, 10:33:50 AM »

It's cool to finally play this. There's alot to like with the graphical style and music (especially once it gets going).

Do you need to click End Turn every time you run out of moves? If so, it'd be more convenient to automatically end the players turn or have a popup or hotkey for to move to the next turn, just to streamline things when you're just trying to walk or sail.

Also, will there be any way to traverse treelines? I think it'd be cool if you could maybe move through trees, but it'd consume more moves. Are you planning on having people walk through trees, or just chop them down to move through.

And finally, are you planning on animating more things than just the boat and water, like the people (walking) and trees? At that one point in the song where it sounds like wind, I was really in the mood to see the trees rustle or sway.

Can't wait to play once more features get implemented  Smiley
Eigen
Level 10

Brobdingnagian ding dong

View Profile WWW
« Reply #95 on: May 20, 2012, 11:23:27 AM »

Thank you very much Smiley

Do you need to click End Turn every time you run out of moves? If so, it'd be more convenient to automatically end the players turn or have a popup or hotkey for to move to the next turn, just to streamline things when you're just trying to walk or sail.

I thought about it. Automatically ending the turn doesn't quite work because you can several characters to control. There's no way to tell if the character you're moving should end the turn after it has done its thing or if you want to move around with the others as well. I'm really used to pressing the E key so there's rarely any slowdown when moving for several turns. What if there was togglable option for a short countdown timer (2-3 seconds maybe), so when you complete the move and don't switch to another character (which cancels it), the turn is ended.

Also, will there be any way to traverse treelines? I think it'd be cool if you could maybe move through trees, but it'd consume more moves. Are you planning on having people walk through trees, or just chop them down to move through.

At first I considered trees impenetrable when not cut down, but slowing down the movement trough it (should cost 2-4 moves perhaps, depending on the density) makes sense too. And of course, you will have axes and stuff to chop down the trees. The slowdown in movement was planned for swampland and such from day one actually.

And finally, are you planning on animating more things than just the boat and water, like the people (walking) and trees? At that one point in the song where it sounds like wind, I was really in the mood to see the trees rustle or sway.

Yes, of course. It's just that animation is really not my thing. With characters on such a small scale it shouldn't be too difficult, as there's only so many pixels to push around, but the trees and such are probably quite challenging. I spend ages just trying to draw the darn things.

oyog
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #96 on: May 20, 2012, 12:11:50 PM »

I notice the animated ships wake continues onto land.
Ant
« Reply #97 on: May 20, 2012, 12:43:37 PM »

I don't have time to play this right now but I'll definitely be keeping an eye on this, it's shaping up rather nicely. Hand Thumbs Up Right
IndieGamesDig
Level 0

asdfjkl

View Profile WWW
« Reply #98 on: May 20, 2012, 01:20:09 PM »

Thank you very much Smiley
I'm really used to pressing the E key so there's rarely any slowdown when moving for several turns. What if there was togglable option for a short countdown timer (2-3 seconds maybe), so when you complete the move and don't switch to another character (which cancels it), the turn is ended.

Oh, ok, there was a hotkey. No that help alot then, although, a timer might be useful too...but only after your selected character is out of moves and you're not pressing anything, and 2 seconds seems too short to me...might be frustrating if I finish moving one char, then stop to think, then lose my moves with the other explorer.

I think one easy thing to do is, once one char is out of moves, to automatically select another (especially if they're out of the boat), then automatically end the player's turn if they're out of moves, sort of like Civilization or something.

With characters on such a small scale it shouldn't be too difficult, as there's only so many pixels to push around, but the trees and such are probably quite challenging. I spend ages just trying to draw the darn things.

I see, but even a 3 frame animation could end up looking cool. And to make a tree look like it's being blown slightly by the wind could maybe be achieved by moving a few pixels, maybe even in a fashion similar to the way you did the water. Just a suggestions ofcourse, such a decision is a matter of art-style preference, unanimated trees would be more retro charm, but I just found myself in the mood for some more visual stimulation while I was exploring.

I used to make sprites by just taking stills from an image, like, if you are behind the idea of adding animations for the trees, find a video of a blowing tree, then cut a few frames from it, pixelate the crap out of them in Paint.net or something, and then cartoon them up alittle if they still look too realistic or don't fit with your other sprites.

Again, there's already alot to like there though.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 01:25:34 PM by IndieGamesDig » Logged
eobet
Level 4

8-bit childhood

View Profile WWW
« Reply #99 on: May 21, 2012, 02:06:44 AM »

The tech demo is really nicely animated.

One thing which bugs me to no end, though, is the inability to scroll the view by using your mouse, either by moving the cursor near the border of the screen or by right-click dragging.

Also, one would think that the view would follow the selected unit during its moves, so one wouldn't need to scroll manually at all...

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 40
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic