Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 02:35:42 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessPR strategies
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: PR strategies  (Read 3890 times)
cliffski
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: April 23, 2012, 02:03:19 AM »

I've been trying to work out the best way to get decent press attention and for gamers to hear about my stuff, and thought I'd see how things seemed to other developers and gamers. I've done a big long list at my blog of the options as I see them:
http://positech.co.uk/cliffsblog/2012/04/23/knowing-where-to-aim-the-pr-conundrum/
But I've probably missed out whole areas and am looking at things purely from my point of view.
What PR strategies seem to work for you? and what ones seem to be a waste of time. Am I right in thinking youtube is rocketing in importance as a marketing medium for indies?

www.positech.co.uk Maker of Democracy Kudos and Gratuitous Space Battles for the PC. owner of showmethegames.com.
ANtY
Level 10

i accidentally did that on purpose

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2012, 02:12:56 AM »

great topic, *off to read the article*

Christian Knudsen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2012, 02:28:14 AM »

Am I right in thinking youtube is rocketing in importance as a marketing medium for indies?

It certainly seems like it. Guys like TotalHalibut certainly get a lot of views. I'm sure it's a massive traffic boost when he covers an indie game.

Laserbrain Studios
Currently working on Hidden Asset (TIGSource DevLog)
cliffski
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2012, 02:50:53 AM »

Its amazing how quickly youtube went from virtually irrelevant to essential, for indie game coverage. I've never been featured by thiose mega-popular guys so can only assume it leads to big sales.

www.positech.co.uk Maker of Democracy Kudos and Gratuitous Space Battles for the PC. owner of showmethegames.com.
larsiusprime
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2012, 05:43:39 AM »

Great thread, Cliff, and nice article!

I'm going to chime in on the Youtube thing - Anyone know how to approach the "Let's Play" crowd on Youtube? Do you approach them like regular journalists?

I know DeceasedCrab, for instance, has the policy of not reviewing any games that he receives free copies of, which is the opposite of your average game reviewer (who will just delete your email if it doesn't come with a free review copy). DC prefers to just review games that interest him, and doesn't take suggestions/submissions, so sending him a message just decreases your chances of getting a Let's Play.

(I'm not complaining about DC, I get that it's his policy and I respect that)

That said, I gotta imagine some of these guys are open to "Hey, love your channel, here's a free copy of our game if you feel like reviewing it some glorious day."

Of course, Total(Biscuit|Halibut) (which is it?) is probably spammed with so many suggestions every day that getting him to cover your game might be like trying to get Strongbad to answer your email five years ago...

Anyone have any experience with this?

One more question while I'm at it, Cliff - you mentioned Advertising *Does* work for you whereas the conventional wisdom is that it doesn't. Have you written any posts on that in the past? Sounds worth looking in to.

« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 05:50:02 AM by larsiusprime » Logged

Nostrils!
AuthenticKaizen
Freeware Ninja
Level 10

*Prestige Worldwide*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2012, 05:55:37 AM »

Its amazing how quickly youtube went from virtually irrelevant to essential, for indie game coverage. I've never been featured by thiose mega-popular guys so can only assume it leads to big sales.

Have you already tried to contact him?
TotalBisquit: "If you're a developer and would like your game featured on our WTF is? series, please contact pr[at]cynicalbrit.com"

I think you have good chances that he takes a look at GTB.

PixelProspector.com - the indie goldmine + Marketing Guide for Indie Game Developers             
“Knowing is not enough, you must apply; willing is not enough, you must do.” (Bruce Lee)
cliffski
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2012, 10:00:20 AM »

yes, I do plan to contact them, but Thought I'd wait until my game was out of beta so people were more likely to see it and then buy, added to the fact that beta games still have bugs I'd rather not have imortalised in a very popular video :D

My blog has a lot of posts, if you search, on the advertising strategies I've used, with graphs and stats galore :D

AuthenticKaizen
Freeware Ninja
Level 10

*Prestige Worldwide*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2012, 12:59:10 PM »

Good idea. Smiley
The more finished and polished the version is that you submit the better.

PixelProspector.com - the indie goldmine + Marketing Guide for Indie Game Developers             
“Knowing is not enough, you must apply; willing is not enough, you must do.” (Bruce Lee)
normanyclark
BANNED
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2012, 10:04:07 PM »

Am I right in thinking youtube is rocketing in importance as a marketing medium for indies?

It certainly seems like it. Guys like TotalHalibut certainly get a lot of views. I'm sure it's a massive traffic boost when he covers an indie game.

I think the Youtube is the best option for promoting indies.The other source also available but you should give the first priority to the Youtube.It gives your more traffics than other.

Schwiggy
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2012, 12:59:46 PM »

Ah, yet another helpful post from Cliffski. These make my day.

Also, it doesn't bother me, but I think you forget a 'g' on 'beg' and after the list say "PC" instead of "PR." It doesn't affect the message but I'm just letting you know.

TylerYork
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2012, 02:49:21 PM »

Great article! On a sidenote, I can't believe one guy made Gratuitous Space Battles. That game is amazing

Anyways, as far as PR goes, you've covered the majority of it. I think the one thing I'd stress is having a good demo video to fuel both the Youtube and Game Reviews channels. This is worth hiring someone to do professionally for <$3K if you're serious about PR for your game. It essentially becomes the brand ambassador for your game on other sites and sparks conversation on review sites, reddit and forums alike

Also, as far as promoting indie releases reddit goes, nothing beats reddit.com/r/indiegaming Smiley

Cheers,

Tyler

I work for Betable, a game monetization platform. I also write about startups, gaming, and marketing.
Poya
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2012, 05:04:19 AM »

Excellent article! Thanks for sharing that.

One thing I would add (and maybe this is too obvious), is to look for the *right* communities and engage with them. Coming to big sites/forums that are more general purpose (like this one) is great and necessary, but it's also important to find those smaller communities that are more closely following the specific area you're developing for (e.g. educational children's game in my case). These groups are harder to find, but the quality of contacts and following is probably higher.

tzachs
Level 1

Look normal...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2012, 07:25:40 AM »

A great resource for when I've got something worthy of promotion.

One thing I've read elsewhere is doing a smaller free version, linking it to your game, and then putting it on the major portals.

ANtY
Level 10

i accidentally did that on purpose

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2012, 07:36:42 AM »

One thing I would add (and maybe this is too obvious), is to look for the *right* communities and engage with them. Coming to big sites/forums that are more general purpose (like this one) is great and necessary, but it's also important to find those smaller communities that are more closely following the specific area you're developing for (e.g. educational children's game in my case). These groups are harder to find, but the quality of contacts and following is probably higher.
That's worth noting, gotta go find some community fitting my game

TylerYork
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2012, 10:06:17 AM »

+1. This is totally true. What niche is your game in? There's likely a forum of gamers that love that niche. Find it and show it to them Smiley

I work for Betable, a game monetization platform. I also write about startups, gaming, and marketing.
James Coote
Level 1

Spoon Thumb

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2012, 02:41:23 PM »

It took me some time to hunt down the niche communities that will hopefully help my game. A couple of forums were so well hidden I accidentally stumbled upon them looking for something else!

I think one of the nicest ways to engage with a community is to volunteer to help with whatever work is being done by other members. That way, you can give something back, rather than have a continual lingering feeling that you're just there to boost your post count and get your name heard.

Crystalline Green - Android Games Developers
nyyjen
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2012, 11:00:11 AM »

I went to an event called 'Meet the Game Press' a while ago. A couple of UK journalists gave advice to indies on how to get press coverage for their games. I summarized the advice here:

http://nyamyam.com/112/news/meet-the-game-press-event

Hope you find it useful.

BR Top
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2016, 02:56:02 PM »

I really would use most of the information I've got here. But I'm not sure in the right place. My game is a casual game for android, and as I see all people you are talking about only review or play games for PC or more elaborated games. What should I do to get my casual game reviewed?

Taky
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2016, 04:07:32 AM »

Thanks for the article. A lot of the information still seems relevant.

Down here, it's our time.
bateleur
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2016, 08:47:45 AM »

Quick warning: Reddit has strict rules against self-promotion. Tread carefully or you'll get banned. TBH that site isn't really a "community" anyway. Small subreddits can be, but because they're small they're not getting you much. The big ones that get you serious traffic care mostly about funny GIFs. If your game has cows with rocket launchers then maybe it can help, but otherwise...

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic