Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411478 Posts in 69369 Topics- by 58424 Members - Latest Member: FlyingFreeStudios

April 23, 2024, 06:49:50 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsGAMMA (Moderator: fish)GAMMA 3D
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9
Print
Author Topic: GAMMA 3D  (Read 97360 times)
GregWS
Level 10

a module, repeatable in any direction and rotation

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: November 08, 2008, 03:24:35 AM »

This is going to be awesome.

Yes. Yes it is. Someday I will go to one of these.
Same here, it'll be another excuse to take a trip to Montreal (I'm starting to have quite a few actually, which is really saying something as I'm not a big fan of Quebec).  Regrettably, it'll have to wait until I'm done my undergrad, as there's no way I'd be able to just take a weekend off (and I'd probably want more than a weekend anyway, what with paying for airfare and all; haha, I have no desire to drive all the way from Western Canada).
DoctorAnus
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: November 20, 2008, 12:59:00 AM »

Been an hour since I came back from there. I shall copy/paste my comment from the Kokoromi site... (since I have nothing more interesting to say)

My friend and I had a good time, even though we managed to mistake Petri and Jason for other fairly renowned people… Guess we all carry our share of blunders.

- Too bad the controls for Fireflies were broken, it didn’t look bad.
- Toad was all right but maybe a little rough on the timing.
- Blatto had a great tunnel effect although the triangles weren’t always working properly.
- Good trippy times with Depths after a few beers.
- Paper Moon was great, very well done.
- Hybercube spoke for itself.

Although I am not sure the use of 3D was exactly crucial or greatly applied to the play of every game, it did add at least a little to the overall aesthetic experience. After a few tries (and beers I guess…) the effect did mostly kick in for both of us.

You shall expect us again next year.
DoctorAnus
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: November 20, 2008, 01:14:32 AM »

Pretty nice music too.
___
Vice President of Marketing, Romeo Pie Software
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: November 20, 2008, 07:29:16 PM »

I still have no idea how to play that blotto game.  I just could not find any way to win. :I
DoctorAnus
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: November 20, 2008, 09:20:04 PM »

Well... It's complicated. But as I said, it wasn't always working properly.
Zaknafein
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #145 on: November 20, 2008, 09:55:39 PM »

HYPERCUBE (sans "super", no headtracking) is now available for download!

Blog entry about it : http://www.theinstructionlimit.com/?p=123

Direct link : http://www.theinstructionlimit.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/sHC_final.zip

And thanks to everyone who went to the event, I was blown away by how many people showed up. There were line-ups, for games! Shocked
Also, I absolutely loved Paper Moon and Fireflies.

TalKeaton
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: November 21, 2008, 12:00:53 AM »

So, question: Is the ability to DO the headtracking still in there, provided we had working equipment, or is it removed from the downloadable version? Because I may be able to whip up some IR glasses a la the ones at the event, and I think it would be totally worth it to try and do it.
Zaknafein
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #147 on: November 21, 2008, 12:15:37 AM »

Yes, the ability is still there. Smiley

If a Wiimote is detected via bluetooth when you start the game, it'll switch to Super mode and it'll work like at Gamma. You can find stuff about the wiimote connection (some bluetooth adapters/drivers are really picky) on the Wiimote-Projects forums.

TalKeaton
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: November 21, 2008, 04:26:09 AM »

Sweet!

I have Wiimotes working with my computer via Bluetooth, I just haven't quite gotten the IR stuff down yet. Thanks!

Ivan
Owl Country
Level 10

alright, let's see what we can see

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: November 21, 2008, 10:07:55 AM »

http://www.flickr.com/photos/67592629@N00/sets/72157609621060687/

picturs

http://polycode.org/ - Free, cross-platform, open-source engine.
team_q
Level 10

Divide by everything is fine and nothing is wrong.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #150 on: November 21, 2008, 12:48:04 PM »

Shweet pics!
Man, that was a kickin' rad party, it was cool to meet all you folks. How was the train ride back?

Dirty Rectangles

_PRINCE OF ARCADE_
___
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: November 21, 2008, 02:09:44 PM »

We had like a 6 hour discussion with Jason Rohrer on the train ride home.  Then another 5 hours of game making/sleeping.
james
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #152 on: November 21, 2008, 06:38:44 PM »

Disappointed I wasn't able to make it out, but New Zealand to Montreal is a little more daunting than Vancouver to Montreal. We sent BlottoBrace in our stead, and what a weird little game it was.

It began life as a tunnel shooter where you'd be able to fire in four directions and move in 8, dodging "enemies" and trying to knock them off the tunnel walls. Then we got annoyed with Yet Another Shooting Thing and it morphed into Geometric Painting. Our day jobs making commercial games got seriously hectic so it went through a period of getting ignored for almost a week at a time then picking it back up again and we'd have re-thought some aspect of it which would then get mashed in...

I'm curious what people thought about Blotto, (good/bad/other) as we got down to the last day before Antony (programmer) went on vacation, had weird issues surrounding GRIM2D and fullscreen which were critical to fix, and went back and forth on the controls a bunch. We had a different version of the controls which were marginally easier to control but felt almost automatic when they worked and when they didn't really sucked. In the end I made the call that the controls were difficult but could be mastered if you learned the simple trick of setting the stick to neutral after each stroke. It led to the introduction of the Don't Panic text before the beginning of the level because the game isn't too hard so long as you follow that advice and are quite deliberate about how you create your triangles.

In hindsight (and from the few comments I've seen so far) I think this was the wrong way to go and I really should have gone back to the drawing board on the controls. I spend all day worrying about accessibility of play in commercial games and given rope to go do my own thing I hang myself  Roll Eyes

Next year, easier to play. People are at a party and drinking, it shouldn't be hard!

Huge congrats to the other teams, some great looking games. I <3 Infinite Ammo! The video blogs are the next best thing to being there and Paper Moon is awesome. Also, starting a studio in Winnipeg takes guts.
DoctorAnus
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: November 21, 2008, 10:24:25 PM »

As I said about Blotto, the triangles weren't always ''working''. By that I mean that when, for instance, I drew two consecutive triangles in rather quick succession, the first could register with the braces (thus clearing them) while the second would often just pass right through them. Or vice versa. I had this problem again trying it at home today (with the additional difficulty of the diagonals being really hard to nail on the keyboard). I don't know if it was just me who was doing something wrong, but it sure didn't seem like a deliberate challenge.
team_q
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #154 on: November 22, 2008, 09:09:43 AM »

I couldn't get it to consistently draw diagonal lines, so I failed a lot because of that.

Dirty Rectangles

_PRINCE OF ARCADE_
___
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: November 22, 2008, 01:26:32 PM »

Blotto was just hard as hell to control.  While I was watching it, I thought that you could only draw lines that were of uniform length, so I thought "why the hell is everyone failing at this game?"  Then while playing it I knew why.  Some of the lines are just slightly shorter than normal, or hovering in the middle of the screen, and it's just waaay too hard to match all these lines before they hit the camera.
TalKeaton
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: November 22, 2008, 02:02:02 PM »

I only got to play Blotto briefly before the event started(I was one of the event volunteers), and then I did have some trouble controlling it.

I kind of want to see if extended play on it would help someone get the hang of it... it may not be a problem with controls so much as a mechanic that takes longer to get used to than the 3-5 minutes allowed by the Gamma guidelines.

I'll give it some solid playtime when I get the chance and see what I can figure out.
___
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: November 22, 2008, 04:09:36 PM »

Did you guys know that a fight broke out at Gamma?  Yes, its true.

Jason Rohrer is totally punching Phil Fish in the face.
team_q
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #158 on: November 22, 2008, 04:12:18 PM »

To be fair, Phil kinda deserved it.

Dirty Rectangles

_PRINCE OF ARCADE_
GregWS
Level 10

a module, repeatable in any direction and rotation

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: November 22, 2008, 06:21:20 PM »

Details, please!  :D
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9