Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411276 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 12:17:46 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsGAMMA (Moderator: fish)GAMMA 3D
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9
Print
Author Topic: GAMMA 3D  (Read 96906 times)
fish
Level 10

cant spell selfish without fish

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2008, 05:32:10 AM »

there's all sorts of different ways to handle things, for different effects.
we're just starting to mess around ourselves.
we're just going to have to find out.

the best effect ive seen so far was a spinning polyhedron, with edges on (red edges and blue edges), i think additive blending (overlap was pink), on a black background. thing was just jumping off to screen and stopping inches away from my face. amazing stuff.

charon
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2008, 06:33:13 AM »

The correct method is addition, basically because red and blue (cyan in this case, which is blue and green) occupy different channels in RGB. Addition will simply add your red or cyan values to 0 (0 + x) meaning no information is lost (where they overlap, cyan and red appear as pink but there is no actual 'mixing' of colors meaning again, no information loss).

In other words, the end result of using additional blending is mathematically equivallent to simply rendering one camera into the R channel of the image, and the other in G+B channels of the image.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2008, 06:44:37 AM by charon » Logged

Chris Whitman
Sepia Toned
Level 10

A master of karate and friendship for everyone.

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2008, 09:09:21 AM »

Why does Montreal have to be so far away?

Fish, could you guys consider maybe moving your province or at least your city a bit to the west? I mean, Alberta is pretty much just sitting there taking up space. Maybe if we move Alberta into the ocean somewhere, and then move Quebec to where Alberta used to be, I could go to Gamma and everything would be considerably better.

Formerly "I Like Cake."
Cymon
Level 9

Computer Kid

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2008, 09:47:03 AM »

This event would be a good chance to explore the idea of multiplayer on one screen with one player getting double red and one player getting double blue.

Was that on this forum or the RetroRemakes forum that was discussing this?

Cymon's Games, free source code, tutorials, and a new game every week!
Follow me on twitter
increpare
« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2008, 11:02:10 AM »

So far as I can tell, thinking about the theme here, the only way I can think of to take advantage of stereoscopy is to have wireframe rendering without back-surface; if you have depth perception, then it'll be a lot more comprehensible.  Like that snake game swear (or macswear).  No doubt other people will be able to think of sexier things though.

Was that on this forum or the RetroRemakes forum that was discussing this?
there was certainly such a discussion here.
BenH
Level 2

Dirty boy, wash your hands!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2008, 12:12:52 PM »

You don't have to use wireframe rendering. If you make the scene greyscale then you can render it from two slightly different camera views with a red tint and a blue tint. Personally I think I'll be using 2D greyscale sprites since I'm not really adapt at proper 3d stuff.

Fish, you said only games which make use of the 3D element for more than just visuals would be allowed to enter, would a game like Space Harrier qualify for its use of 3d as a game mechanic?

increpare
« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2008, 12:25:35 PM »

You don't have to use wireframe rendering.
To clarify my point, lest it be not clear: Yep, you don't have to use wireframe rendering I know, but I was trying to think of situations where stereoscopy could dramatically increase comprehension of objects that might seem very messy otherwise.
fish
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2008, 01:31:54 PM »

You don't have to use wireframe rendering. If you make the scene greyscale then you can render it from two slightly different camera views with a red tint and a blue tint. Personally I think I'll be using 2D greyscale sprites since I'm not really adapt at proper 3d stuff.

Fish, you said only games which make use of the 3D element for more than just visuals would be allowed to enter, would a game like Space Harrier qualify for its use of 3d as a game mechanic?

the game itself dosent have to use 3D graphics per se.
could very well be 2D, sprite based, as long as it does use stereoscopy in some way.

William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2008, 02:34:05 AM »

Would this be eligible?

fish
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2008, 07:19:46 AM »

Would this be eligible?

yes.
we know this kind of trickery works perfectly with shutter and polarized glasses, but we dont know if it will really work all that well anaglyphically, since it's really hard to get EXACTLY the right shade of red or blue to completely disappear. 

Cymon
Level 9

Computer Kid

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: August 18, 2008, 10:29:05 AM »

Would this be eligible?

yes.
we know this kind of trickery works perfectly with shutter and polarized glasses, but we dont know if it will really work all that well anaglyphically, since it's really hard to get EXACTLY the right shade of red or blue to completely disappear. 
But that's what I was talking about earlier.

By the way, aside from prestige these event don't carry any prizes for entrants, do they?

Follow me on twitter
muku
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 18, 2008, 11:57:21 AM »

Would this be eligible?

yes.

But! If one uses increpare's great idea with some random noise mixed in, I think it would work just fine.
increpare
« Reply #32 on: August 18, 2008, 12:42:50 PM »

Stereoscopic dwarf-fortress-like roguelike would be cool.

Another idea:  A stereoscopic roguelike might work quite well, EXCEPT that adjusting any interpupilar distance parameters might be awkward.  Unless one was to abandon the idea that the composite image would have to be rogue-like, in which case it would be a zillion times easier.  (One problem is that it's harder I assume to visually match up discrete characters than more complicated, connected, 3D objects).

Man.  Totally going to have to get me a pair of 3D glasses...
Cymon
Level 9

Computer Kid

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: August 18, 2008, 01:11:38 PM »

Stereoscopic dwarf-fortress-like roguelike would be cool.

Another idea:  A stereoscopic roguelike might work quite well, EXCEPT that adjusting any interpupilar distance parameters might be awkward.  Unless one was to abandon the idea that the composite image would have to be rogue-like, in which case it would be a zillion times easier.  (One problem is that it's harder I assume to visually match up discrete characters than more complicated, connected, 3D objects).

Man.  Totally going to have to get me a pair of 3D glasses...
I have a pair. I just need to start programming stuff more often. (Man I wish I could do that 9-5 for money.)

The problem with roguelikes is not the difficulty in matching up discrete characters as much as the fact that you can't overlap text characters. So unless you're going to have every character be the same you can't use text mode, and which point why worry about discrete characters?

Follow me on twitter
fish
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: August 18, 2008, 01:27:36 PM »

Would this be eligible?

yes.
But that's what I was talking about earlier.

By the way, aside from prestige these event don't carry any prizes for entrants, do they?

well, this year we're throwing in MIGS passes, which is kind of amazing because in previous years we had ONE pass for the whole collective. this year theyre giving away a bunch of em. theyre worth something like what, 700$?

but gamma isnt a competition. it's a curated art show. it just so happen to come with a bit of prestige, yes.
which might make you consider it a competition.

moboid
Level 0

I know it.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: August 18, 2008, 01:33:54 PM »

well, this year we're throwing in MIGS passes, which is kind of amazing because in previous years we had ONE pass for the whole collective. this year theyre giving away a bunch of em. theyre worth something like what, 700$?

To clarify, the MIGS passes go to the creators of the games that are selected for the event.  Not for everyone who enters the challenge.

increpare
« Reply #36 on: August 18, 2008, 01:48:32 PM »

So unless you're going to have every character be the same you can't use text mode, and which point why worry about discrete characters?
Don't worry, I'm not really going to worry about anything until I get some 3D glasses (and the demake compo's over)  Smiley
Terry
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: August 18, 2008, 01:53:37 PM »

I'm getting a pair too - for some reason they seem to sell them in packs of two on ebay...

Terry
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: August 18, 2008, 01:55:54 PM »

Also, What the hell?

increpare
« Reply #39 on: August 18, 2008, 01:57:34 PM »

I'm getting a pair too - for some reason they seem to sell them in packs of two on ebay...
have you ordered them yet?  I'd like if you could get a pair for me tooooo (I'm afraid of mail-order at the moment).  I think it's a good idea to have a spare pair of such glasses handy.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic