Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411493 Posts in 69372 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 05:37:48 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsGAMMA (Moderator: fish)GAMMA 3D
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9
Print
Author Topic: GAMMA 3D  (Read 97378 times)
Cymon
Level 9

Computer Kid

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: August 28, 2008, 08:21:21 AM »

FUCK! Since there were no 3d glasses around here in Ankara, I'd ordered a copy of Spy Kids 3D... But it came without glasses... apparanetly there's a non-3d version, but it says 3D on the box.... fuck this, I'm gonna make my own glasses
Spy Kids 3D 2D, with 33% more hues.

That so sucks. Not only do you not have 3D glasses, but now you're stuck with Spy Kids 3D.

Cymon's Games, free source code, tutorials, and a new game every week!
Follow me on twitter
nayon
Level 5

dickfish

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 28, 2008, 08:38:33 AM »

Precisely. Why the f*** are they calling it 3D if it's a 2D version!!!!?

Shpydir
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: August 28, 2008, 10:41:09 AM »

I see what you did wrong.  You should've bought Spy Kids 3D 3D.

That's an easy mistake to make.   Grin

Dainty Rhino - I'll make games...eventually.
Cymon
Level 9

Computer Kid

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: August 29, 2008, 06:38:19 AM »

Because it's the third one. So they officially titled it Spy Kids 3...D. The D is a part of the official title. Plus in theaters it was 3D, but IIRC it was done with cross polarized glasses. That not being an option on home screens it was retooled to 2 different versions; one with blue-green glasses, and one with no 3D effects.

It's just like full screen vs wide screen. You've got to check before you buy.

Follow me on twitter
Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: August 29, 2008, 07:02:57 AM »

Started prototyping for this...

Lookin' pretty hawt so far.  Cool

nayon
Level 5

dickfish

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 29, 2008, 07:54:40 AM »

Because it's the third one. So they officially titled it Spy Kids 3...D. The D is a part of the official title. Plus in theaters it was 3D, but IIRC it was done with cross polarized glasses. That not being an option on home screens it was retooled to 2 different versions; one with blue-green glasses, and one with no 3D effects.

It's just like full screen vs wide screen. You've got to check before you buy.

I saw it in the theater with red/cyan im pretty sure... Maybe it was different here in Turkey... So that's why I just assumed so.

michael
Pixelhead
Level 10

yo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: August 29, 2008, 08:31:29 AM »

yo, so i finally got some 3D glasses, turns out portland has center devoted to 3D imagery! i was playing around all day yesterday with colors, chutup and i are working on that two players one screen idea. i must say, im more confused now than when i started. this is the best color combination i could find for hiding the other players sprites, let me know if they work for you:

just look through one eye at a time. do you see any ghosting?, does it work with your glasses? after staring at it for so long i cant tell if i see ghosts or if the image has been permanently burned into my eyeball....

i found a couple other colors that worked in photoshop, but when exported, they ghosted  WTF its a pretty odd palette, but after hours and hours of color sliding, its the most ghost proof combo i could find. even red and cyan on purple ghosts abit. if anyone knows of better combinations, id love to hear them.

you rob the bank, i'll rob stewart
Cymon
Level 9

Computer Kid

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: August 29, 2008, 12:40:48 PM »

i found a couple other colors that worked in photoshop, but when exported, they ghosted  WTF its a pretty odd palette, but after hours and hours of color sliding, its the most ghost proof combo i could find. even red and cyan on purple ghosts abit. if anyone knows of better combinations, id love to hear them.
Did you save them as a gif or png?

Ghosting, I think, is something that the game will just have to take into account. You can either keep the screen so filled with stuff that the ghosting becomes inconsequential or accept it and work it into the mythos of the game.

Follow me on twitter
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 30, 2008, 05:08:36 AM »

For me, there is no ghosting in that image, but the problem is that the yellow figure is pretty hard to make out even through the cyan filter. It would be just about functional, but not very pleasant to look at. I think noise is a better solution to ghosting.

Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #89 on: September 08, 2008, 01:14:21 PM »

We did it! It works! :D

muku
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: September 08, 2008, 01:20:36 PM »

We did it! It works! :D

Spontaneous association:

Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #91 on: September 08, 2008, 05:57:52 PM »

Spontaneous association:

FotC rawks

mikeaka
« Reply #92 on: September 09, 2008, 12:19:33 AM »

Alright cool I got me some red/cyan 3D glasses from...Hannah Montana 3D concert, anyway...so exactly how do we make this work without using 3D programs?  Everywhere I have looked only shows how to make it work with photos and it's a long and arduous process, not suitable for game making at all.  Any one know of a way to do it with sprites or something?
Golds
Loves Juno
Level 10

Juno sucks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #93 on: September 09, 2008, 03:24:29 PM »

yo, so i finally got some 3D glasses, turns out portland has center devoted to 3D imagery! i was playing around all day yesterday with colors, chutup and i are working on that two players one screen idea. i must say, im more confused now than when i started. this is the best color combination i could find for hiding the other players sprites, let me know if they work for you:

just look through one eye at a time. do you see any ghosting?, does it work with your glasses? after staring at it for so long i cant tell if i see ghosts or if the image has been permanently burned into my eyeball....

I think the problem here is that everybody at the show will have red/cyan glasses on, not red/red or cyan/cyan glasses.  so if you were to wlak up and try to play this with someone, you'd have to tust that they're each closing the appropriate eye and not peeking.  dunno if that'll work well.

@doomlaser, mark johns
Zaphos
« Reply #94 on: September 09, 2008, 05:39:46 PM »

Alright cool I got me some red/cyan 3D glasses from...Hannah Montana 3D concert, anyway...so exactly how do we make this work without using 3D programs?  Everywhere I have looked only shows how to make it work with photos and it's a long and arduous process, not suitable for game making at all.  Any one know of a way to do it with sprites or something?
Well, you can make a red-channel version of your sprite and a cyan-channel version, and draw them at <x - d, y> and <x + d, y), where d is some function of the depth of the sprite.  d should probably be defined so it's close to 0 for the region of the scene you'd likely focus on, and it changes sign as you cross that depth.  Draw the sprites with additive blending so they mix to give the original sprite if you draw them at the same place.

I think the problem here is that everybody at the show will have red/cyan glasses on, not red/red or cyan/cyan glasses.  so if you were to wlak up and try to play this with someone, you'd have to tust that they're each closing the appropriate eye and not peeking.  dunno if that'll work well.
Or you could try to distribute pirate eye patches (anti-monocles?) and call it "custom display hardware" ...
Ishi
Pixelhead
Level 10

coffee&coding

View Profile WWW
« Reply #95 on: September 10, 2008, 04:23:38 AM »

Silly question: what does one have to do to get xbox controller support?  Is it going to be the same as normal gamepad support (like one might do with SDL), or could one even cheat and assume some sor of keyboard remapping, or?

I didn't notice an answer to this, so:

You can use the sexy XInput API to detect and get the state of 360 pads in C++, which will let you do vibration as well.

Alternatively you can treat the pad as a normal Windows joypad, I'm not sure which buttons map to what number though. Also it does weird stuff like the left and right triggers map to the same analogue axis so you can't use them at the same time.

Crackerblocks
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #96 on: September 10, 2008, 04:14:29 PM »

I'd be interested to hear about the gameplay ideas folks have for this.

Being negative nancy for a sec, but this seems impossible to me:

"Your game must use stereoscopy in a way that is integral to the gameplay.
A game that simply uses stereoscopy as a visual effect will not make the cut."
(The Golden Rule from the Gamma site)

I don't think there's anything you can do stereoscopically that you couldn't do with vanilla 3D rendering. It's a really cool effect, but it's just a depth cue. Games can already do this with perspective and texture detail differentials. We don't get any new variables from stereoscopy that we can somehow tie into gameplay.

increpare
« Reply #97 on: September 10, 2008, 04:17:34 PM »

Ah, cheers for the response Ishi.  It's not looking like I'm going to have the time/energy to make an entry though  Sad
mikeaka
« Reply #98 on: September 10, 2008, 06:02:40 PM »

I'd be interested to hear about the gameplay ideas folks have for this.

Being negative nancy for a sec, but this seems impossible to me:

"Your game must use stereoscopy in a way that is integral to the gameplay.
A game that simply uses stereoscopy as a visual effect will not make the cut."
(The Golden Rule from the Gamma site)

I don't think there's anything you can do stereoscopically that you couldn't do with vanilla 3D rendering. It's a really cool effect, but it's just a depth cue. Games can already do this with perspective and texture detail differentials. We don't get any new variables from stereoscopy that we can somehow tie into gameplay.

It is possible if you mess with the positions of the red and cyan channels to increase and decrease depth, however when you split it the hit detection is going to get wacky.  Maybe you can have a real hit detector always placed directly where the eye makes the 2 images become one...I don't know...  Here are a few 3D places that may get your guys hopes up about what is possible.

http://www.barcinski-jeanjean.com/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:AbaglypMonochromeToy.jpg
Zaphos
« Reply #99 on: September 10, 2008, 09:56:22 PM »

Can you thread a needle or swat a fly with one eye closed?  Stereoscopy as a depth cue gives different details than other depth cues, and it's very important for some tasks. Can any of those be made in to a game?

It is also possible that the stereoscopic effect could be abused in interesting ways.  For example, what if the stereoscopic depth cues convey different or conflicting information from the other cues in the image?  Or what if you encode two separate images, so the game must be played with one eye closed and the viewer may 'switch worlds' by switching which eye is open?  (How could the two worlds interact?)

Experiment, and maybe you'll find something you didn't expect!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic