Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411281 Posts in 69324 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 11:00:57 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsBootleg DemakesFable of Griselda [FINISHED]
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Author Topic: Fable of Griselda [FINISHED]  (Read 45554 times)
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 17, 2008, 11:23:52 PM »

Playing this made me realise a couple of things that I'd have to keep in mind if I made a real time grid ASCII game:

- It's very hard to judge the enemies' movement, because they obviously clip from one tile to the next and you can't tell where they'll go, leading to you trying to hit them but being hit instead. Some kind of telegraph to show what tile adjacent to them they're going to move to would basically solve this problem.

- In order to hit an enemy adjacent to you you can't press the directional key to that direction and then swing, cause then you'll run right onto the enemy and lose health. One idea to solve this is to let you hold the swing button and press on the arrow key to turn to that direction without moving and slash the enemy.

- It's always a good idea to mind the color contrast. The white sword on the bright yellow sand makes it basically disappear.

well, that's it for now. I did enjoy it though. Grin

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
theparticleman
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: September 18, 2008, 08:58:07 AM »

Yay!  40 posts!  Again, we'll ignore the fact that probably half of them are mine.

Holy cow!  Fable of Griselda made someone's top 10 list!?!!  I just saw this

http://www.bytejacker.com/episodes/008

I feel totally out-classed by everyone else on the list, not to mention the entries that aren't on that list that are much more awesome than what I did.

I'm guessing I got put on there more for nostalgic reasons than technical or gameplay reasons.  Way to milk people's childhood memories!
theparticleman
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: June 11, 2020, 04:30:41 PM »

I realize this is almost 12 years later, so no one may ever see this. But if someone does happen to see this, I ported Fable of Griselda to run as a web app instead of a console app. You can find it at https://www.fableofgriselda.com. Enjoy!
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic