Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 02:30:17 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsBootleg Demakes[Beta finished] DamN
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: [Beta finished] DamN  (Read 17200 times)
TooMuchSpareTime
Level 3

Came for the VGNG comp, stayed for the other stuff

View Profile WWW
« on: August 15, 2008, 08:13:35 PM »

After a high-tech experiment on Mars goes awry, all Hell literally breaks loose........ and you're out of ammo. DamN. Guess you'll have to use your brains to solve 20(?) different robo-demon-infested puzzles and defeat the all-powerful boss!

I'm starting a bit late, and I'll have hardly any spare time next week, but what the hell. At worst, it'll be a fun trainwreck.  :D

Basically it's going to be a top-down puzzle adventure whose sprites look suspiciously like those of DooM (not DooM3), and whose gameplay feels suspiciously like the old DOS game Paganitzu. Once the guts are made (in Flash), level design will be open to anyone who's interested.  Gentleman

Updates:
Aug 16: The basics are working!

Aug 17: Teleporters and Goblins and T-shirts oh my! (damnlevmap3.swf)

Sept 1: Blagh! I had no more time to work on this. Just threw some "frills" onto it and made 2 levels... Enjoy!

Sept 7: Okay there's a few more levels now. Smiley
« Last Edit: September 07, 2008, 01:13:58 AM by TooMuchSpareTime » Logged
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2008, 08:46:36 PM »

MAD LOVE. Kiss
aparrish
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2008, 08:58:58 PM »

This is right on the money.  I can't wait to see what you come up with.
TooMuchSpareTime
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2008, 08:59:22 PM »

Kiss

I just rediscovered a tile-based level mapper I'd made in Flash earlier this year and never used for anything. This will give me the headstart I need. Smiley
coderneedsfood
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2008, 09:06:27 PM »

and i was just 2 hours ago wondering what Doom would look like on the Nes . i even found Derek's DoomRL spriteset Smiley
Noyb
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2008, 09:12:03 PM »

Oooh. Were you the flash artist that had that Doom marine with a funny voice in some of your cartoons?

And demaking Doom into a puzzle game is hilarious.

TooMuchSpareTime
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2008, 09:14:52 PM »

That was me! How thoughtful of you for remembering! </marinevoice>

Haha. I didn't actually play DooM all that much, compared to many other games, but it's still a classic.
Josh R
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2008, 04:57:08 AM »

DaMn thats an awesome title screen, I hope you include some rip-off of the huge rocket launcher wielding bosses in Doom.

Film/TV/Game Composer
TooMuchSpareTime
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2008, 07:12:30 AM »

Aug 16: The basics are working!
Have fun pushing the barrels around (arrow keys) and collecting coins in this test-level! The story is that you have to gather up quarters to use in the only "gun vending machine" in Hell in order to get a REALLY BIG GUN to shoot the evil big "boss" with. Paganitzu fans may note the arrangement of those three barrels at the start with a certain nostalgia.  Gentleman

Haha. :D I'm actually pretty impressed with how easy that part was to make. Let me know how the speed works for you. I'm making this on an old-ish PC, and I notice that it runs slower in a browser than just in Flashplayer.
Just wait 'til I add monsters etc - then it'll all start getting quite hairy.  Tired

(Note that the graphics will probably be changed to look more pixelly if I have time, although I will make it look VGA, not EGA.)
theparticleman
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2008, 07:20:38 AM »

Pushing the toxic barrel in the lava results in an AWESOME death scene!
increpare
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2008, 08:36:20 AM »

waaitttt a sec: how do I get to the door?
deadeye
First Manbaby Home
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2008, 11:03:02 AM »

The screen wraps around.

tweet tweet @j_younger
increpare
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2008, 12:23:27 PM »

The screen wraps around.
Ah right.  I had checked, but hadn't noticed that the two passageways were aligned differently  Roll Eyes
TooMuchSpareTime
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2008, 05:31:10 PM »

Actually there's a small delay between the barrel hitting the lava and it exploding, so you can run away if you reverse direction quickly. I wasn't going to bother with having this but on second thought it's quite cool. Once I set up explosion-triggered explosions with those barrels, you'll be able to set off wicked chain reactions.  :D
increpare
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2008, 06:02:50 PM »

Actually there's a small delay between the barrel hitting the lava and it exploding, so you can run away if you reverse direction quickly. I wasn't going to bother with having this but on second thought it's quite cool. Once I set up explosion-triggered explosions with those barrels, you'll be able to set off wicked chain reactions.  :D
Ah yeah, I had noticed that, but hadn't thought about the potential for puzzle-fun Smiley
TooMuchSpareTime
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2008, 04:31:38 AM »

Aug 17: Teleporters and Goblins and T-shirts oh my! (damnlevmap3.swf)

Hints:

* To use a teleporter, just try to run into the face of the wall that has the pentagram.

* Beware, not all teleporters have reversible paths!

* Goblins (or Imps) are the same as snakes in Paganitzu. If anything is between them and you, horizontally, they can't get a clear shot. You can't outrun their shots, and getting hit means instant firey death.

* You can push a barrel-o-radiation into the lava and step back one square to avoid the explosion, which only affects the 8 squares immediately surrounding it.

* Any other barrels-o-radiation within this 1-tile blast radius will similarly explode.

* The only thing (thus far) that survives explosions is lava. So don't blow up the coins or the elevator, or you're screwed.  Tongue

Please feel free to give me suggestions, and feedback - especially on the game speed! That's starting to worry me just a tad. Gentleman
MaverickUK
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2008, 07:21:29 AM »

Nice work there Sluggy, it's a fully working game!

I can see the years spent writing Q-Basic games have combined with your Flash talents to create another generation of Sluggy created gaming.

Keep up the motivation and you're onto a winner Smiley
TooMuchSpareTime
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2008, 04:23:06 AM »

DamMit, I won't have time to work on this until next month. I'll wrap it up and throw a few levels together for the competition deadline, and release version 1.1 after this comp is over.  Gentleman
Jimbob
Level 3

Not a Detective

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2008, 04:40:07 AM »

Um, in your level design you kinda neglected to realise that you push the first barrel down a square to explode it, so no actual chain reaction happens... or am I being a little silly here?  Embarrassed

Last release: sync::routine
TooMuchSpareTime
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2008, 04:50:54 PM »

You have to work out how to set up the barrels correctly so that the chain reaction WILL happen.  Wink
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic