Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411845 Posts in 69419 Topics- by 58464 Members - Latest Member: Riya21

June 01, 2024, 05:28:50 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralDo Customers Deserve Opinions?
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Do Customers Deserve Opinions?  (Read 2430 times)
UnrealClock
Level 0

View Profile
« on: May 05, 2012, 02:52:46 PM »

Criticism upon art is virtually worthless. What does anyone else's opinions have to do with the creation of something as independently personal as art?
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2012, 02:54:31 PM »

i'm not sure what you mean by "deserve" -- what does it mean to deserve a thing?

Blademasterbobo
Level 10

dum

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2012, 03:07:43 PM »

no

Hand Point Left Hand Shake Left Hand Thumbs Down Left Hand Thumbs Up Left Bro Fist Left Hand Metal Left Toast Left Hand Fork Left Hand Money Left Hand Clap Hand Any Key Tiger Hand Joystick Hand Pencil Hand Money Right Hand Knife Right Toast Right Hand Metal Right Bro Fist Right Hand Thumbs Up Right Hand Thumbs Down Right Hand Shake Right Hand Point Right
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2012, 03:15:08 PM »

no

but doesn't that mean you don't deserve to hate LoL?

noah!
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2012, 03:15:31 PM »

I would like to respond to this post, but in order for me to do so, I would need to know a bit of context. Simple stuff, like where you're coming from, where you would like to go, your interests, fetishes, blood type, favorite Katawa Shoujo character, BMI, eye color, hair length, preferred hair length, etc. All the basic stuff, really.

Otherwise I would have to cram a ton of words into your mouth before I could even begin. It'd be the semantics equivalent of Chubby Bunny and nobody wants that.
st33d
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2012, 03:22:11 PM »

Art is a thing of quality defined by it's position in space and time.

When you criticise something, you should consider what has come before that piece, what will follow, where the piece has been hung.

A good critic will consider all of these, and their report will inform others if they should make the effort to attend.

Example:

An artist today exhibits an empty gallery proclaiming "it's art". An informed critic would point out that Yves Klein had already performed such an exhibition in the 1950s with the opening toasting empty champagne glasses. The exhibit was called The Void. And so the critic would save us a wasted journey to view something which had already been done, and done for the first time.

Such is the value of the critic. They know their shit, so that we do not wade through it.
Blademasterbobo
Level 10

dum

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2012, 03:25:25 PM »

i'm not sure what you mean by "deserve" -- what does it mean to deserve a thing?

That depends on what you mean by "a thing"?

Hand Point Left Hand Shake Left Hand Thumbs Down Left Hand Thumbs Up Left Bro Fist Left Hand Metal Left Toast Left Hand Fork Left Hand Money Left Hand Clap Hand Any Key Tiger Hand Joystick Hand Pencil Hand Money Right Hand Knife Right Toast Right Hand Metal Right Bro Fist Right Hand Thumbs Up Right Hand Thumbs Down Right Hand Shake Right Hand Point Right
emacs
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2012, 03:31:01 PM »

Criticism upon art is virtually worthless.
How so?  Criticism is great, it can make the creator a better artist.  Look at John Sandoval's work, when he started painting a face it looked good, but not great.  A bunch of people criticized it and did paintovers, and now John is a great artist.

iffi
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2012, 03:37:52 PM »

It's not whether others should have opinions or not, but whether artists should listen to those opinions.
DavidCaruso
YEEEAAAHHHHHH
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2012, 04:24:46 PM »

Dunno man, I mean as we all know just because something is "independently personal" it's always gonna be equal to everything else that's "independently personal" because all "independent personas" are "independent personas" and therefore equal in creating "independently personal" works, and no one can tell the difference no matter how many of these "independently personal" works they've seen or how intelligent and selective they are, so everyone's opinions on these "independently personal" works are equally informed and useful, so I gotta agree 200% with this thesis statement of yours, and I'm looking forward to subscribing to your magazine which consists of a list of every videogame, movie, painting, sculpture, song, and car ever made transposed onto giant equal signs, except done with complementary colors so it has a cool bleeding effect, and if you stare at it too long you see hidden Satanic messages when you look away that tell you to convert immediately and "MURDER ROGER EBERT."

Art is a thing of quality defined by it's position in space and time.

Are atoms art?

Steel Assault devlog - NES-style 2D action platformer: successfully Kickstarted!
rogerlevy
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2012, 04:27:48 PM »

sometimes your goal is to make people feel things

their input is valuable because it allows you to see whether or not YOUR goals are being met

you can take or leave whatever parts of their criticism you want

either way, YOU are the one who is always in charge of your work

not only is the value of criticism subjective from person to person, but for any given person, it depends on both the piece and which parts of the criticism they care about

people do it basically to let you know how they feel about something.  you should just close your ears to people who take your art and basically tell you how they would have done it.  and i mean, that depends if you respect them as artists, like their style, want to emulate any part of their work or way of thinking, or not.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2012, 04:32:58 PM by dormin-kun » Logged
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2012, 04:31:29 PM »

ya i think the answer is more like this -- people are entitled to their opinions, and you're entitled to ignore them if you feel that they don't know what they're talking about

deathtotheweird
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2012, 05:05:49 PM »

I am of the opinion that this thread is stupid.
shig
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2012, 05:12:08 PM »

something as independently personal
as opposed to dependently personal???
« Last Edit: May 05, 2012, 05:49:02 PM by shig » Logged
emacs
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2012, 05:22:40 PM »

I am of the opinion that allen is correct.

C.D Buckmaster
Level 7

Death via video games

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2012, 05:24:17 PM »

Opinions should be judged outside of who spoke them, whether they were created by the designer or a customer, it doesn't influence how "good" they are.  Of course the designer will choose which opinions to consider in the end and whether to ignore the opinions of his/her customers entirely, but just because they came from customers doesn't mean they are completely irrelevant.
Player 3
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2012, 06:02:06 PM »

If the customer's always right, what does it matter?
iffi
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2012, 06:14:20 PM »

If they're wrong they're not actually customers. I foresee this being used as a new form of DRM.
Player 3
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2012, 06:28:11 PM »

If they're wrong they're not actually customers. I foresee this being used as a new form of DRM.

Always right is the key word, no matter how wrong. Even if they proclaim the sky is orange or The Big Bang Theory is a good show.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2012, 07:23:39 PM by Player 3 » Logged
Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2012, 07:00:59 PM »

Criticism and a discerning audience are what make art into self-expression rather than self-indulgence.

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic