Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 06:59:49 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsPower Heroes (iOS)
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7
Print
Author Topic: Power Heroes (iOS)  (Read 32210 times)
Arnold
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #100 on: October 10, 2013, 09:30:54 AM »

looks good. its always tricky to come up with some ideas for the different devices.

I'm 1/2 of @Tinytouchtales and I collect Video-Game stuff on @Speicherstand
JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #101 on: October 10, 2013, 12:12:23 PM »

I think Eobets edit works. The levels should extend past, but nothing important. you can even keep all the doors and stuff in the same place.  if you want shoot me a PM. I can talk about what we did on previous iOS and Android games.

i-kari
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #102 on: October 11, 2013, 01:24:23 AM »

Hmm.

Currently, enemies enter the area from the edges of the screen.

If I block left & right edges on 20 x 9 maps, I will be limited to have enemies spawn from top and bottom only, unless:

1) I change the spawn method completely, or
2) I open the edges on 20 x 9 maps, giving players with newer devices more space on an area

And how should I handle the half tiles on the edges? Are player and enemies allowed to move there, basically being 50% off screen? Or limit the movement to full tiles only and having an odd half tile invisible fence blocking the path to the edge?

Decisions, decisions.

Reilly
Level 2

14/f/tx

View Profile WWW
« Reply #103 on: October 11, 2013, 12:03:06 PM »

I think eobet's solution is the best if you can figure out how to do it.

Little Nando
Level 1

Working on Tough Coded Project

View Profile WWW
« Reply #104 on: October 16, 2013, 12:34:31 PM »

DAMN, so cool! I wanna play this, like, right now. And pay for it. Is there a build anywhere?  Hand Money Left

Little Nando / Twitter / Blog
i-kari
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #105 on: October 17, 2013, 02:37:50 AM »

Thanks a lot! Unfortunately there is no test build available yet. I'm working hard on the game though. Stay tuned!

i-kari
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #106 on: October 28, 2013, 09:57:12 AM »

Last week I wrote about how I could support various screen resolutions. I listed a couple of options with pros and cons, but there seemed to be no easy way to it.

Fast forward one week and here I am with a solution. It was really obvious now that I think of it.

Support for various screen resolutions (solved!)

Oh man. Since beginning of development (which seems like ages ago), I was so set on having static one screen maps in Power Heroes. Large areas would not make sense considering the game's short, action packed gameplay sessions that I aimed for. Wipe out an area of enemies, collect loot and head on to the next area. That's what I wanted. I did not want big maps to navigate in. I had a tileset of 10 x 10 tiles, scaled up 3x. By using 16 x 9 maps and having a HUD, I covered the whole screen on all iOS devices.

Except iPhone 5 and later. That was a problem.

The solution that struck me is kind of a compromise, but it works so well that it's worth it.

I made a 20 x 9 map and made it scroll. Horizontally.

On an iPhone 5 (and 5S) there will be just a little bit of scrolling while on other devices the map will scroll more but you are still able to access it all. All of the problems I originally thought I had were gone. Half tiles on the edges? Blocked edges? Inaccessible areas outside the screen? Enemy spawn issues? Not any more.

So with a 20 x 9 map there's some horizontal scrolling but no vertical. Then I experimented more. I made 20 x 11, 20 x 13 and even 20 x 20 maps before finally settling down to 20 x 11. Although 9 tiles high was the original size, 20 x 9 felt a little cramped probably because of the newly added small horizontal freedom. And going over 11 started to feel too large. 20 x 11 felt just right.

After all this it was just a matter of juggling some things around to make everything work with scrollable maps. I'm really happy how it turned out. The maps are still "small" so that you don't get lost, but with scrolling I can support any screen resolution.

Here's a GIF of me clearing an area with the ranger:

Enemies

I gave names to the different enemies that you encounter in the world of Power Heroes. They are on the cute side to suit the game's style. Below is a bunch of them (not all), and remember, if you have more ideas for enemies or their special moves, let's hear them!

Buggy

Movement type: Walk

Special: None

Spotty

Special: None

Tootl

Special: When killed, Tootl releases a shell that slides around with high speed. Shell deals damage to anyone on its path!

Boomba

Movement type: Jump

Special: When killed, Boomba turns into a bomb that explodes soon after. It can destroy some objects, like rocks. Watch out for its blast radius!

Burnr

Movement type: Jump

Special: Burnr can set flammable objects on fire. In close combat, Burnr's hot surface will cause the player to drop all of his/hers power coins.

ericmbernier
Level 3

Sometimes I make games.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #107 on: October 28, 2013, 11:11:50 AM »

Saw this over on the animated GIFs thread. Posting to follow Smiley

eobet
Level 4

8-bit childhood

View Profile WWW
« Reply #108 on: October 28, 2013, 11:16:36 AM »

Haha, the powerup that spells out the word "HERO" made me nostalgia hard for Bubble Bobble. I would make the letter in the bubble more readable though, because I didn't see it until I went looking for it. Perhaps stream a rainbow through it or something?

EDIT: Also, why are the trees in that gif pointy at the top? If you were going for evergreens, you need to make more modifications than that. Smiley

i-kari
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #109 on: October 28, 2013, 11:48:29 AM »

Actually, the bubble is not a powerup but part of the daily quest. Complete a random word by collecting all letter bubbles to get a reward. Bubble Bobble has been a strong inspiration though. Wink

Yes, they are supposed to be evergreens. Do you have an idea on how to improve?

i-kari
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #110 on: October 28, 2013, 11:50:31 AM »

Saw this over on the animated GIFs thread. Posting to follow Smiley

Welcome! Smiley

happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #111 on: October 28, 2013, 12:01:06 PM »

The scrolling map looks like it works really well..  Hand Thumbs Up Left
i-kari
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #112 on: October 28, 2013, 12:05:30 PM »

Thanks! Yeah I'm really happy how it turned out. It solved all the map issues I was struggling with last week.

eobet
Level 4

8-bit childhood

View Profile WWW
« Reply #113 on: October 28, 2013, 02:12:30 PM »

Actually, the bubble is not a powerup but part of the daily quest. Complete a random word by collecting all letter bubbles to get a reward. Bubble Bobble has been a strong inspiration though. Wink

Yes, they are supposed to be evergreens. Do you have an idea on how to improve?

Again, a horribly quick and dirty edit:

I still think you need to add some Bubble Bobble rainbow to that letter bubble...  Gentleman

i-kari
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #114 on: October 29, 2013, 02:41:23 AM »

Gotcha. My version:

Not exactly sure what you mean by "Bubble Bobble rainbow". The extend bubbles?

JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #115 on: October 29, 2013, 05:03:34 AM »

I might suggest redoing the word bubbles to center the letter a bit. It looks a little off.

i-kari
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #116 on: October 29, 2013, 05:17:41 AM »

I might suggest redoing the word bubbles to center the letter a bit. It looks a little off.

I know. The bubble is 10x10 and the letters are 7x7 from the NES font so that's why. I might redo the bubbles 9x9 but yeah you are right.

Arnold
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #117 on: October 29, 2013, 09:02:44 AM »

dat progress! awesome!

I'm 1/2 of @Tinytouchtales and I collect Video-Game stuff on @Speicherstand
JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #118 on: October 29, 2013, 05:56:56 PM »

did the NES always use the same font? could you change that?

i-kari
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #119 on: October 30, 2013, 01:15:32 AM »

Custom fonts are always possible.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic