Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411433 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58418 Members - Latest Member: Pix_RolleR

April 20, 2024, 06:19:57 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsPower Heroes (iOS)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7
Print
Author Topic: Power Heroes (iOS)  (Read 32211 times)
happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: April 18, 2013, 01:13:20 PM »

Any progress?
i-kari
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: April 24, 2013, 05:35:49 AM »

Any progress?

Hi there and thanks for asking. Yes, this game is still being made! I've gone back and forth with different ideas, how to execute them, including them into the game and playtesting. The reason I've not posted any updates is that an idea I have may or may not work in the game, so I've become hesitant to publish them here in the first place. But now that someone asked I may as well post on the recent development.

One of the major changes is how the areas work, or how the game flows from an area to the next. Earlier there was this key that would open an exit, and once the exit was reached the game would load a new area with fadeout/fadein transition. While areas are still randomized on each game, the transition between areas has changed completely.

First of all, there can be directional exits on each side of an area. These exits are activated and pointed out by a flashing arrow after last enemy on an area is killed. Upon reaching an exit of this type, a new area will be loaded and the map will scroll like in the old Zelda games. There are two ways the next area is selected: if the exit tile has a map filename as a property, we use that. Otherwise the next area will be randomly selected. By setting the filename on the map during map design, we can have larger pre-determined areas joined together that fit into the natural flow of randomly selected maps.

Next, there is an exit that takes you to a new area but with a fade transition instead of scrolling. For example, an overworld map with a dungeon entrance could have an exit of this type.

Finally there is an exit which can lead to a sub-area such as a bonus stage with lots of coins for example. These sub-areas are single rooms that return back to the main area.

Maps can also be set as 'consumable'. These could be special areas that should not appear more than once in a single game.

In other news I have a title for the game: 'Power Heroes'. What do you think? I think it describes the game quite nicely. 'Power coins' are essential part of the game, and 'heroes', well there are a couple of them...

i-kari
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: May 21, 2013, 12:17:11 AM »

To keep better track of progress on the game, I'll start posting smaller day-to-day updates on my Twitter. Any achieved milestones and bigger updates can be found on this thread.

i-kari
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: May 27, 2013, 03:24:45 AM »

It's been a week since I started posting updates on Twitter. Here's what has happened.

Save & load game data

Long-term progress is now saved after every game and loaded every time the application launches.

Game over screen

It shows your score, high score and collected gold coins. Coins are then added to your total amount which carries over between games.

New item: Freeze enemies

When collected, enemies freeze for a moment.

New feature: Daily Quests

This is a (totally optional) daily meta game where you are tasked with completing a word by collecting letters trapped in bubbles floating around the maps. Players will be rewarded for completed words with extra bonuses for completed words on consecutive days.

Red flash effect on HUD

Just a visual feedback when taking damage.

Weapon drop / equip system

I'm going with a roguelike weapon system, as opposed to a static system where you could buy and equip weapons before every game. There are a few reasons to this, but most importantly simplicity & randomness.

Simplicity: Fewer choices before game start. It's quicker to get into the game because there is no weapon select.

Randomness: Every play is different due to randomized weapon drops. Also you can't just buy the best weapon in the game after which the game could become uninteresting.

So now weapons dropped by enemies can be collected and are automatically equipped. The current weapon in use is displayed on the HUD.

The way I'm currently handling combat is that every hit by the player costs 1 power coin, but depending on enemy type & current weapon the number of hits required to kill an enemy varies. I also have ranged attacks where the ranger character will shoot arrows if an enemy is on the same line as the ranger. Again, each hit will cost 1 power coin.

Interactive map elements

Testing a feature where signs, for example, will be highlighted and become touchable (readable) when player is near them.

Arnold
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: May 27, 2013, 07:51:26 AM »

any chance for a gameplay video? would love to see that game in motion!

I'm 1/2 of @Tinytouchtales and I collect Video-Game stuff on @Speicherstand
harry)))
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 27, 2013, 10:56:19 AM »

visual style is super super cool

i-kari
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: June 03, 2013, 11:40:59 PM »

You can expect a gameplay video soon.

Last week's updates (slow week mainly due to gorgeous weather over here):

New HUD

Did another re-layout of the HUD. It was a bit outdated considering the game's current state. The button triggering the super power attack when the power meter is full was removed, and an image displaying the current weapon was added. The super power attacks are not yet implemented and I'm thinking of the best method they should be triggered. There are a few options including manual (button) and automatical (full power meter / full power meter and first enemy hit) execution.

Adjusted enemy invincibility timers after being hit

The timer was based on enemy move speed but that sometimes resulted in unfair situations where the enemy was able to hit back while the player was still within the enemy's hit area. The timer is now constant for all enemies.

i-kari
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: June 04, 2013, 05:00:13 AM »

The picture quality is what it is. Shrug

Arnold
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: June 04, 2013, 06:18:17 AM »

haha yeah cool, looks really good. i'm not sure if i like the controls though.

I'm 1/2 of @Tinytouchtales and I collect Video-Game stuff on @Speicherstand
i-kari
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: June 04, 2013, 07:19:51 AM »

Yeah from that video it may seem like a hassle with a mouse.

SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: June 04, 2013, 09:27:46 AM »

I liked the video you showed and how simple the controls are. I assume Power allows you to attack without taking damage?

i-kari
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: June 04, 2013, 11:14:43 AM »

I liked the video you showed and how simple the controls are. I assume Power allows you to attack without taking damage?

Thanks. Yes the combat rules are very simple. If you have at least one power letter, you will hit the enemy. Otherwise the enemy will hit you and deal one damage (heart). That's the basic mechanic. There are variations though, where certain enemies may make you drop all remaining power coins upon contact so you are vulnerable until you collect another coin. Or floor spikes that always damage the player. Things like that.

i-kari
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: June 10, 2013, 12:29:57 AM »

Another week, another round of updates.

Pits

Enemies will avoid them and so should you. Instant death!

New items: keys & chests

Collect a key and a chest will appear on the next area containing a power up and coins. So far I have two power ups implemented: a coin magnet and a clock (which freezes enemies for a moment).

Sign text is read from the tile ID on the map file

The text can be typed in during map design phase. I think this update now completes the sign feature.

Dialog/text box for game messages

Your common text box for any messages that you may receive during gameplay. For now it's for the signs only.

Turtle shells revisited

Kill a turtle and its shell starts sliding around the area like in Mario. However it does not damage other enemies as I think that would be too powerful.

Shooting enemies

In addition to the ranger character able to shoot arrows, also enemies can now shoot projectiles. In the screenshot below you can see shooting spiders. Arrow sprite is just a placeholder.

i-kari
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: June 17, 2013, 03:12:43 AM »

Updates from past week.

Fires

Fireballs traversing through bushes can set them on fire. Fire damages the player and enemies.

Turtle shell kicking

While enemies know how to avoid pits, turtle shells do not and will vanish into the abyss.

Map selection routine improved

I can now define a set of area themes (forest, desert, dungeon, etc.) and the order & cycle in which they appear during gameplay. The map loader then selects a qualifying map from an array of map files using a criteria.

Shop UI design & implementation

I've spent many hours working on the shop feature of the game, virtually accomplishing nothing. It feels like a chore and I'd rather spend time on the main game features.

Whiteclaws
Level 10

#include <funny.h>

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 17, 2013, 04:39:38 AM »

Looking charming  Grin

I'm sure I'll become one of Appstores gems !
i-kari
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: June 18, 2013, 02:09:36 AM »

How's this for a title screen?

Picture this:

<logo slides in from the top>

<bounces a few times>

<screen flashes white>

<a deep male voice saying "POWER HEROES!">

<music starts playing>

Cheesy

i-kari
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: June 24, 2013, 03:47:34 AM »

Some highlights from past week.

Sounds!

First sounds are in! I used sfxr/cfxr to create few beeps and blips. Collecting coins and beating enemies feels so much better now with some audio. Thanks to SimpleAudioEngine that comes with cocos2d framework, adding sounds required only two lines of code: one for pre-loading the sound and the other for playing it.

Updated chests

Chests will now remain in the area to be looted for gold coins until they break.

Title screen

As described in my previous post, the animated title screen is now in place. Of course it needs more fine tuning but at least it's there. It's missing the voice. Sad

Joined Apple Developer Program

So far I've been running the game in the iPhone simulator in Xcode, but I felt that it is time to step up and enroll for the developer program. After few twists and turns I got the game running on my iPhone for the very first time. It was a quite awesome feeling. Smiley

Updated coin magnet power up

The coin magnet power up now has an effect radius so that it attracts nearby coins only. I plan the radius to be upgradeable.

BomberTREE
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 24, 2013, 03:55:24 AM »

Nice title screen, loving the updates  Smiley
i-kari
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: June 24, 2013, 12:29:16 PM »

Thanks. Smiley

i-kari
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: July 01, 2013, 06:30:18 AM »

Instructions

I added arcade style instruction screens that cycle through during the title screen sequence. The screens explain the controls and give some basic information on what the game is about. However I should probably incorporate the instructions into the game as a simple tutorial because most players don't want to read but learn by doing. Introduce the player to the controls, power coins and simple combat. Things like that.

Hero select

The hero can now be selected before game starts. I have knight and ranger characters available.

Weapon drops

Weapons appearing during the game depend on the chosen hero. Select a knight and you will get melee weapons. Select a ranger and you will find ranged weapons. This is to:

1. Streamline the gameplay

There is no inventory and to keep things simple the current weapon is replaced with whatever weapon you pick up. You don't really have to worry if the next weapon is somehow inferior to the current one as weapons you find are always an improvement. Also you won't find ranged weapons if you have chosen a melee character because that weapon type doesn't suit the character's style. And vice versa. It gives the game that arcade feel and the weapon names reflect that as well. For example, I originally named swords as wooden, copper, iron, etc. I replaced those with just "sword", followed by "power sword" and "super power sword".

2. Give incentive to use different characters

Because available weapons are tied to the current character class, you will have to use different characters to experience all the different weapons. Just like with the swords, there will be "bows", "power bows" and "super power bows" for the ranger character. Gameplay is also totally different as you have to keep a distance instead of rushing at enemies.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic