Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 04:46:53 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignScore in videogames
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Print
Author Topic: Score in videogames  (Read 12000 times)
Uykered
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2012, 03:26:58 AM »

You shouldn't, it's retarded.
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2012, 07:33:00 PM »

Actually, an argument about scoring came up on the shmups.com forums last week, due to an article icycalm wrote called "On Why Scoring Sucks And Those Who Defend It Are Aspies". I can tell a number of people in this thread read it, but here it is for those who haven't:

http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=41394

I'm guessing that many icycalm fans are doing a complete 180 on how they feel about scoring right about now... considering that he once wrote this about Ketsui:

But the extreme level of difficulty is only half the attraction; the other half is the simplicity of the scoring system. This involves collecting chips of different values left behind by destroyed enemies. The trick is to grab a few high-value chips by killing an enemy at close range, and then switch to the lock shot and chain as many other enemies as possible, which for a short time will also release large chips. The idea therefore is to go through the stages identifying opportunities for high-scoring chains, and string them together to achieve decent runs. Given the game's merciless, unrelenting assault, this is as difficult in execution as it is simple in concept.

It is this perfect combination of simplicity and challenge that makes Ketsui special. Had it been less manic, its simple system would have seemed a fault; had the system been more complex, the game's sheer manicness would have been unbearable. Add two kinds of second loops and a legendary True Last Boss, and you've got a game capable of compelling one to give up on all other games — in order to conquer it.

The article is pretty entertaining... but as usual it seems like much ado about nothing, with icycalm conjuring up the scarecrow of an "aspie" the same way he did with an "indie artfag", in order to co-opt ideas that have been around for forever (that scoring and other oldschool "videogamey" traditions hurt immersion, that playing video games is physically unhealthy, etc.).

Also, it's bad logic to ask what if Metroid games had numeric scoring systems in them. You could easily ask what if Metroid games had thousands of flowering pink bullets in them... obviously, the game's atmosphere would get destroyed in that scenario, too. It's a meaningless comparison that really just underlines the idea that games are developed with different goals in mind, all enjoyable if they're executed well.

Regarding the OP's article... I think your article should really be about why you think endless replayability is so important for games and how mastering a game is like mastering an instrument or painting. Those are not givens by a long shot.

You shouldn't, it's retarded.

So I'm curious, is this something you decided recently (maybe due to the above article)? Because Arvoesine has a relatively involved scoring system in it.

• there are almost definitely other great games I could playing at any given moment, and many for the first time ever, where I wouldn't have already experienced the majority of the game's level design and audiovisuals (nobody actually wants to replay a game "infinitely," and before someone mentions it randomly generated levels are no exception to this -- the only difference is how long it takes, and also most probably crappy level design which will probably make you want to play the game less than if it was hand-crafted anyway)

The problem with this logic is that by the time you've finished most challenging arcade games you've had to replay the same levels many, many times. Now, your argument has always been that the level design in your favorite games is so good that you don't mind replaying them over and over again... but you can't tell me that it's only worth it until you've seen the (usually very short and inconsequential) endings of these titles?

It seems like, in challenging yourself to beat arcade games on one credit, there's very little distinction here between playing for score and playing to see the ending of the game. In both cases you get to experience (and have to RE-experience, possibly more than you'd like to) the level design and audiovisuals. In both cases you're also receiving a fairly arbitrary measure of accomplishment within the game.

Not to mention that many of your favorite games, like Armed Police Batrider, came out a long time ago. By the time you played them, I imagine that there were many better-looking, more challenging, and more immersive games (not to mention genres) around. You picked it out of a large pool of "better" games, so there must be something else about it that made it immersive for you.
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2012, 08:15:30 PM »

i think scores are fun if

a) there's an online high score list that lists your friends' scores, and you have friends who play that particular game

or

b) the game rewards you in an interesting way for reaching higher score values; the classic way is extra lives, but there are plenty of other creative ways to do it (for instance, guardian legend increased your life power / hp if your score passed certain thresholds, and some games open up new levels or new content if your score is high enough)

or

c) the game is "endless" with the only goal to get the highest score possible (like classic arcade games). in this sense, score operates as a *measure* of how far you can get in the game. think of pac man here. your score in pac man isn't arbitrary, but it's basically a measure of how far you got in the game: how many ghosts you ate, how many stages you passed. the only way to "progress" in pac man is to increase your score

Uykered
« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2012, 08:24:52 PM »

So I'm curious, is this something you decided recently (maybe due to the above article)?
Yeah the book helped me learn a ton about game design. I guess I was ambivalent about it before, but the chapter on score clarified a lot.

Because Arvoesine has a relatively involved scoring system in it.
Not really, I could remove it and it'd be a lot better (instead of the score orbs I'd link it to javelin stock) but I'm not fond of that game anymore so I don't touch it.
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2012, 09:02:03 PM »

i think score can be thought of in evolutionary terms, like so:

in early games, score was important to keep track of progress. which team was winning is the simplest. i mentioned pac man, but there are a lot of other games like asteroids where if you didn't keep score, there's no easy way to tell how well you are doing or how far you are into the game

later on score was kept just out of tradition, and was 99% of the time pointless, like in super mario bros. 1 and 3

but still that doesn't necessarily mean that score is completely pointless in *all* newer games, because score "evolved" and adapted for other purposes besides keeping track of the game and giving extra lives (which worked like goal posts)

so score evolved in a number of different ways in different games, and came to have some utility in those games completely different from its original purpose. the competitive high score list is one such (early) evolution, but new ones arise all the time. the experience point system of rpgs (whatever one thinks of their actual value) is in essence a "score" -- you gain points for killing enemies, and those points increase your stats. currency in games which use a currency system is another type of score. the time it takes to complete a game is also a score (in speedruns or in racing games). there are many more (e.g. score being used ironically in "passage" to make a (somewhat hackneyed) point about how the accumulation of meaningless small things means nothing when you're dead)

in other words, it's similar to biology, where some part of a species which became useless then evolved and gained a new use. there are countless examples of that in evolution. it's easier to build off of something no longer useful and make it useful for something else instead than to completely get rid of it, both in games and in biology. so score itself in the classic sense is outdated, but in its modern evolutions -- currency, experience points, speedrun times -- is still useful, at least for certain genres of game. it's *still* completely pointless most of the time it's used, however. i regularly see games that have a scoring system but which don't actually need it for any reason whatsoever. but some games are the exceptions and make intelligent use of it

Sharkoss
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2012, 09:10:54 PM »

Actually, an argument about scoring came up on the shmups.com forums last week, due to an article icycalm wrote called "On Why Scoring Sucks And Those Who Defend It Are Aspies". I can tell a number of people in this thread read it, but here it is for those who haven't:

http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=41394

I honestly loathe icycalm and his worthless shitbag fanboys, and actually considered chopping 'aspergers' from my earlier post because I did, in fact, read that thing and hated the idea that somebody might think I was parroting him.  The problem, fundamentally, with scoring in Cave shooters and similar games, is not that it interferes with the atmosphere (it can do, ofc), it's that they don't mix things up and don't react to the player.  It makes scoring a grind.  The ability to memorise the whole game takes the risk out of those risk/reward mechanics because once you know the game there is no risk.  In old algorithm/behavior-based games like Asteroids/Galaga/Robotron, which have their own scoring issues (but not nearly to the same extent), that's just not possible.  Cave-style games are too rigidly constructed for the scores to actually mean anything worthwhile and mastery depends heavily on the players inability to get bored with shooting fish in a barrel.  Stuff like dynamic rank only goes so far.  That's my issue anyway.
Graham-
Level 10

ftw

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2012, 09:28:58 PM »

Leaderboards have been a big deal lately. Compete with your friends.
JWK5
« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2012, 09:30:07 PM »

I think the best use of score currently is time scores (especially where speed-running is concerned). Breaking par (and getting far below it as possible) in Mighty Switch Force is ridiculously addictive and practically makes the game. I like this kind of scoring because it isn't so much arbitrary as it is pushing your skills to the limits to shave off precious seconds.

Fighting Games often have survival mode where you face off against opponent after opponent earning back a little life depending how well you fought and the "score" is how many opponents you can defeat (with the battles getting tougher and tougher as you go). Much like par times, this kind of scoring is fun because of the tension it creates. The farther in the game you get the more every battle, every hit, pushes your skills to the limit.

Time Splitters 3 (a FPS) had an awesome mode where when you killed enemies they dropped a bunch of coins (copper, silver, and gold). Each coin had a different score value associated with them and you didn't get points for kills, only for picking up the coins dropped by killed opponents. When you die you drop coins as well, and the more you have the more you drop (thus skilled opponents tend to drop more than unskilled ones). Earning score was ridiculously fun because not only were you trying to mow down opponents to get their coins you were also trying to steal the spoils of conflicts you weren't involved with or recover your own dropped coins before your killer can finish collecting them. What I especially liked is the fact you didn't have to be a skilled shooter to get ahead, good scavengers also excelled (creating lion and hyena setups).

Multi-kills and other trick-kills introduced in FPS are a great mechanic, especially in the CoD series where the matches aren't determined by kills but by score (earned via kills, trick kills, assists, etc.). It creates interesting situations where a bunch of players can excel in score but all in different manners (one might be racking them up with accurate sniping, another might be racking them up by stealth-shanking opponents in the back, another might be multi-killing groups of players with explosives, etc.).

I prefer score setups like these, where you are rewarded for adaption and creative use of skill much more than classic scoring conventions where it just comes down to memorizing a static pattern.
Sharkoss
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2012, 09:35:16 PM »

Oh yeah:  And Super Metroid is played heavily for speed runs/collection percentage.  That's really the equivalent of scoring in a Metroid game.  I don't know if that breaks immersion or whatever - but watching a Super Metroid speedrun is awesome.  Couple of days ago I watched a Metroid Prime speed run and it's amazing what people can do with that game - locking on to scannable objects to 'swing' on them - sorta like something out of Chaindive:

Graham-
Level 10

ftw

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2012, 09:37:00 PM »

I prefer score setups like these, where you are rewarded for adaption and creative use of skill much more than classic scoring conventions where it just comes down to memorizing a static pattern.

Yep. Score is a nice way to make multiple play styles appealing, and to make teamwork more likely (players play to their strengths).
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: May 16, 2012, 12:10:49 AM »

So I'm curious, is this something you decided recently (maybe due to the above article)?
Yeah the book helped me learn a ton about game design. I guess I was ambivalent about it before, but the chapter on score clarified a lot.

Because Arvoesine has a relatively involved scoring system in it.
Not really, I could remove it and it'd be a lot better (instead of the score orbs I'd link it to javelin stock) but I'm not fond of that game anymore so I don't touch it.

Your first couple of games were fairly novel platformers inspired by JRPGs and then you crapped on those and made a fun, but standard, arcade-style platformer with a high score system. Now you think score sucks and you're crapping on THAT game.

I dunno if you're really learning as much about game design so much as figuring out what icycalm likes (which can apparently change quite drastically, as shown by his flip flops on scoring, Canabalt, and whatever else).

I think it's really dangerous as a game designer to go down that path of following critics and theorists so wholeheartedly. It's worth considering that what critics do, for the most part, is evaluate what's already been done and nearly all of the best game designers, beloved by critics after the fact, broke new ground precisely because they had a strong PERSONAL vision and trampled right over existing conventions and theories. They also had a good understanding of past games, to be sure, but you can't make history just by studying it, is what I'm saying, I guess.
EdgeOfProphecy
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2012, 12:16:45 AM »

Pointless iconoclasm at its finest.

Score is a wonderful tool.  Part of the learning process, which is a big part of games, is providing feedback to the player on their performance.  Not all games need an explicit rating system to do so, but some can benefit greatly from it.  Score is a simple, direct, yet often effective way of doing so.  It can be used poorly, but it's certainly far from being bad.  I would venture to say it can be difficult to mess up a halfway decent scoring system implementation.

It's not so important that a person be able to know whether or not a score of 560335 is good or bad the first time they play your game, but rather that they're readily able to track their performance trajectory over time.  They should be able to tell if the actions they're performing are better or worse as per the scoring system, and see themselves do better or worse, and know if what they're trying works or not.

Lots of things can be used in conjunction with score to shore up its weaknesses.  Big, flashing, thumping letters when you kill an enemy going "+10000" very clearly tell the player "Ya did good, champ."  A rolling score counter that is just going absolutely nuts feels rewarding.  Other elements can give context to raw numbers, and thus greatly enhance their effectiveness.  Leaderboards can give players a very good comparison mechanism to see how much a point is really worth.  It's foolish to cast aside a useful tool like score just because it's not a complete, out of the box solution.

Also don't ignore history.  Score is part of games, and has been part of games, and was featured very heavily in arcade games.  If you want to make an arcade-style game, including a good scoring system with an arcade-style presentation could be an extremely good idea.  Playing with expectation and precedent can be a powerful design tool.

Lastly, my favorite thing about score is how it provides a soft way to add different layers of gameplay into the same game.  Thief II used gold stolen as a score, and you could do hard mode challenges where you had to steal a LOT of stuff, which led you to explore levels more thoroughly and enter riskier areas.  Unless that challenge was plunked in front of me, I wouldn't have really considered it.  SHMUPs in particular use score as an incentive for tiered gameplay styles.  There's your standard "shoot everything and try to survive to beat the game" style, and your "cheese the point system" style.  I would have never felt compelled in Radiant Silver Gun to only shoot enemies of one color.  The scoring system introduced the concept through rewards, and I like the challenge.  The whole scoring system was built around that playstyle, and it was cool to explore playing the game in that way.
Uykered
« Reply #32 on: May 16, 2012, 01:56:37 AM »

Quote from: derek
Your first couple of games were fairly novel platformers inspired by JRPGs and then you crapped on those and made a fun, but standard, arcade-style platformer with a high score system.

Nice observation! But they're not my first games, I've a huge amount of games that I've either abandonded or finished. I just put those on my site because they're the highest quality ones that I've finished so far. (The first game I put on the internet was a Pang clone called Bubbly Pop).

Now you think score sucks and you're crapping on THAT game.
Ya. I wouldn't say I'm crapping on it though (well actually I guess the game is kind of crappy, haha). I always get tired of a game once I finish it, then I get excited about making a new game!

I dunno if you're really learning as much about game design so much as figuring out what icycalm likes.
Well I think I've learned a lot about game design/theory from his writing, even if you're not getting anything from it. I wouldn't have made Arvoesine if I was doing it to try and make a game icycalm would like, I don't have the skillz or money to afford to do that. I've always been a fan of Castlevania and was making a castlevania

, but stopped making it cause I wanted to make my own original action game like it (Arvoesine).
mirosurabu
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 16, 2012, 03:18:12 AM »

Crucial observation: all games have scores. They are called "end states". If you can observe your end-state, you can know your score. In strategy games, it's resources you own. In linear action games, it's level you're at. So if you finish your game at level 5 that's your score right there. Level 5.

So what the hell is this number in the upper right screen?

Sometimes, it's a quantified end-state that makes performance comparisons easier. And that's okay I guess.
But sometimes, it's a way to introduce alternative rules that violate the integrity of the game world. And that's not okay.

So yeah, too lazy to go into detail right now. Just read icycalm's essay cause it echoes my thoughts word for word. And it's a fun read too, the aspie-dog part made me laugh so hard.
st33d
« Reply #34 on: May 16, 2012, 03:42:54 AM »

Anyone got a link to this article?

I Googled it and came up with a load of links talking about it and not the actual link.
mirosurabu
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 16, 2012, 04:18:10 AM »

If you refer to icycalm's link, you gotta buy the book I'm afraid.

Or be a pirate and read it

(removed link to pirated book)
« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 08:26:00 AM by C.A. Sinclair » Logged
st33d
« Reply #36 on: May 16, 2012, 05:01:12 AM »

I can't think of a more deserving victim. Thanks.
Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: May 16, 2012, 05:37:24 AM »

Score is a pretty bad way to gauge player skill or progress when you have to be

:P

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
DavidCaruso
YEEEAAAHHHHHH
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 16, 2012, 08:04:24 AM »

Oh man, I knew that article would be mentioned eventually. I have some time to kill right now and not much else besides a web browser, so let's talk about it then!

Quote from: Derek
I'm guessing that many icycalm fans are doing a complete 180 on how they feel about scoring right about now... considering that he once wrote this about Ketsui:

Nope, always generally felt this way about scoring -- the essay just makes it clearer, stronger, and more specific for me (as well as proposing solutions to the issue, etc.)

And to answer the contradiction on Ketsui (the review, btw, was written about 5 years ago -- people tend to change their minds on things over time), here are some posts he recently made on Insomnia which should more than cover it (edited together into a few huge quote blocks, because they're actually around 20 or so posts made over time, etc.):

Quote from: icycalm
Okay, it's time to get around to answering zinger's opening post. The Pong review is three-quarters done but it doesn't look I'll be able to finish it today, so I am going to switch gears and tackle this in-between cooking some pasta and other stuff. It will be stream-of-consciousness and probably broken up among several posts as I eat, etc., but I am sure most people will get the gist of it.

First off, you need to understand why these comments did not go in the essay. They did not go in the essay because the purpose of the essay was to DESTROY scoring (and also, by extension, the cyber"athletics" and second-loop, alternate mode, newgame+ fagotries to which it ultimately leads), consequently anything that could DETRACT from this goal had to be cut. Even the last couple of paragraphs on the positive effects of cerebral genres were shoehorned in at the last moment and with some hesitation, because I didn't want to give anyone who wanted to defend scoring anything to hold on to, or ammunition to use against me.

That is not to say that the positive comments on cerebral games or what I am about to post here CAN be used to defend scoring -- what I am saying is that these comments could very easily be MISused to defend scoring, because, if you are dense and not capable of understanding the difference between theory and practice, you could misconstrue them to do so.

So I am going to analyze here the entire immediate PRACTICAL dimension of the issue, whose implications zinger did not fully grasp (since his post implies that he simply stopped playing for score, which as I will be explaining here is not quite a very good idea), and then I'll probably end up reshaping these formulations and adding them to the "Notes on the Arcade Culture" essay in Volume II, which will include a number of random discussions on the topic, including Recap's "correct" way to 1CC, etc.

So why is it a bad idea to completely stop playing for score?

First thing you need to understand here is the difference between theory and practice. Theory is a kind of practice, and practice a kind of theory, but the difference is that practice is concerned with IMMEDIATE things and actions, whereas theory for the FUTURE. So my essay explained why scoring systems in videogames with stage progression is a bad idea (except for transitional titles like Pac-Man, etc.), but that is an almost entirely different issue than the one we are faced with when we ALREADY have a game in front of us -- say, Mushihime-sama Futari -- and are trying to figure out what is the best way to play it in order to extract the maximum of enjoyment from it.

Here is an example outside of shooting games, so that more people will understand it. The first stages in Halo are awesome, but the later ones suck balls. Therefore, from a THEORY perspective, which is not really concerned with Halo but with A HALO SEQUEL, the later stages should be completely removed (at least if it's not for whatever reason possible to significantly improve them). But when we say this, we don't mean that someone should turn back time and remove the later stages from Halo and release it with only the first ones (since this is not only physically impossible, but even undesirable, since we only LEARNED that it's best to remove the later stages BY PLAYING THEM) -- all we are doing is setting down the PRINCIPLES by which FUTURE games in the Halo mold should be made in order to MAXIMIZE pleasure.

But all of that has nothing to do with two dudes sitting in front of their TV and trying to have as much fun as possible with Halo. For first off, the dudes have no idea that the later stages suck before actually playing them. Second off, when they get to the FIRST stage that sucks, they have no idea if the NEXT stage will also suck, or if things will end up improving there. And moreover, even if they know, from some other trustworthy source, that all the later stages suck, that means IN COMPARISON TO THE FIRST ONES -- not that there's absolutely NO PLEASURE AT ALL to be had from playing them.

See what I am saying here?

So in the specific case of Halo, the criticism/theory (and they work the exact same way here, because criticism is also not really ever concerned with its object, but always with the optimal method to construct similar future objects) would say that the game would have been better off if the later stages had not been included, whereas the best advice on how to play the game (which would again come from the critic, of course, i.e. from me) would be to play them with a friend in co-op, because at least then you can run through them faster (and thus experience less tedium), by piggybacking on each other's deaths (i.e. players dying and respawning in succession, so that they are always moving forward), instead of in single-player, where every death sends you back to the last checkpoint, and thus, if you are playing in Legendary, or even Heroic, it could take you fucking days to get through it -- IF you could stomach the tedium of those endless featureless corridors and identikit attack scenarios -- which I wouldn't be able to, which is why I am advocating the co-op tactic.

That does NOT mean that that fucking retarded co-op tactic is a good way around which to design a game, or even to just simply play it. If you play a great game like that, or, even worse, if you DESIGN your game with that idea in mind, YOU ARE RUINING IT. But in the specific case of the later stages of Halo, assuming you WANT to play them, and you don't just want to turn off the console when you reach them (which you understandably are not going to want to, since you ARE, after all, immersed in this game's high-immersion world, and would like some kind of closure before leaving it), then this is the best way to do it.

And here's an even more tangible example.

The theory says that eating fast food is bad for you. In ideal conditions no one should ever eat fast food; there is absolutely no reason to do so and you'd have nothing to gain by it; on the contrary, you'll only be harming your health.

And yet, when I was in Stockholm last year, there were a couple of nights that I didn't make the "kitchen closing" time of their retarded restaurants (something like 10pm lol), and was forced to eat McDonalds, BECAUSE I SIMPLY HAD NO OTHER OPTION. I can't even remember the last time I ate McDonalds, I think it was sometime around '96 or so in my student days, and even then only because I was dragged there by people with whom I'd gone out. And yet there I was in Stockholm last year, ordering two double cheesburgers with fries, etc., drenched with salt to the point of not being able to taste anything, because I couldn't stand the idea of going to bed on an empty stomach (I wouldn't have been able to sleep, or at least to sleep well, which would probably have been even more harmful to my health than eating McDonald's).

So the subhumans would immediately come out and say LOOK HE'S EATING FAST FOOD -- ALL HIS TALK ABOUT FAST FOOD BEING BAD FOR YOU WAS PURE POSING.

But as I hope everyone should be able to understand by now, that is pure nonsense.

Let's now take a shooting game, to start getting back to zinger, and let's pick a generally well-known one so more people can follow. Take Giga Wing, for instance. Now Giga Wing is a very aesthetically awkward game, which can even be called downright ugly, if you want to be mean about it. So being immersed inside its fairly ugly stages is not exactly a huge incentive to keep playing it. Moreover, due to the charge-shield mechanic, it's not a very hard game either (which in this specific case is good, by the way, since a hard AND ugly game is a bad idea, since the ugliness gives you one more reason to NOT put up with its difficulty, etc.)

BUT, here's where the scoring system comes in. By using the shield at the exact point when the screen is full of bullets, you can turn the bullets into medals. You can practically flood the screen with medals if you know what you are doing. Then you collect the medals and your score shoots up exponentially.

Now, from a theory perspective, all this shit is fucking retarded. WTF bullets turn into medals? I mean even in comic books, where basically anything goes, you will never see a panel with a spaceship in outer space surrounded by fucking medals -- even fucking comic book writers can't pull this stunt off while maintaining suspension of disbelief -- so what the medalling fagotry does is basically DESTROY the immersion factor of the game, AT LEAST FOR PEOPLE WHO ARE AESTHETICALLY SENSITIVE AND NOT AUTISTIC ASPIES.

So basically, you have two choices here. If you are determined to play only the NATURAL way (i.e. for survival, which by the way is a misnomer which I will also be explaining in the "Notes on the Arcade Culture" essay -- no one plays for "survival", people play for "domination"), then you might as well give up on Giga Wing because it's ugly and easy, and play one of the countless other STGs which are a hundred times prettier and harder.

On the other hand, if you try out the reflect-medalling mechanic a little bit, you'll probably realize that it is HELLA ADDICTIVE. Which is the point at which the aspies will exclaim SEE WE TOLD YOU SO! PLAYING FOR SCORE IS SO MUCH MORE COMPLICATED AND BETTER, AND HENCE MORE IMMERSIVE, EVEN GOING BY YOUR OWN THEORY!

But as people should be able to grasp by now, this objection is pure bullshit, for in the order of rank of shooting games Giga Wing played for score stands FAR LESS BELOW not of GIGA WING PLAYED FOR SURVIVAL, but of, for example, KETSUI PLAYED FOR SURVIVAL.

See what I did there? Take a look at the order of rank:

Ketsui (survival)
Giga Wing (score)
Giga Wing (survival)

It's the typical subhuman inability to conceptualize anything beyond an erection. They see that A SINGLE GAME PLAYED FOR SCORE is more fun THAN A SINGLE GAME PLAYED FOR SURVIVAL, but they fail to see the THOUSANDS OF GAMES PLAYED FOR SURVIVAL which stand ABOVE THAT SINGLE GAME (or five or six or seven) PLAYED FOR SCORE, get it? If I were to fully populate that list with all the shooting games ever, the top of the list would be full of survival titles (or titles played for survival), and the scoring ones (or titles played for scoring) would occupy the bottom part, or at least the middle.

So we saw that the theoretical problem is how to maximize pleasure IN FUTURE TITLES, whereas the practical problem is how to maximize pleasure FROM EXISTING ONES.

So, in the case of Giga Wing, the way to maximize pleasure is quite simply to play for score. So when the aspies defend the idea that playing for score in some games is preferable, they are not at all mistaken.

And this does not only hold for Giga Wing, but for ALL shooting games (and by extension all games). For even with a game like Ketsui, where survival-play is basically more or less the zenith, the highest point that shooting games have achieved, IF YOU ARE DETERMINED TO SUCK OUT EVERY LAST OUNCE OF ENJOYMENT FROM THE GAMEWORLD, YOU WILL SOONER OR LATER BE COMPELLED TO PLAY FOR SCORE.

I explained all this in the essay. It's why Josh mastered Metal Slug's scoring system, and when he was done with it even went BEYOND IT, by making his OWN scoring system, and in fact SEVERAL of them, and counting how many times he pressed up or down on the controller or whatever.

You HAVE to do shit like this if you want to remain inside that tiny world forever WITHOUT GOING FUCKING MAD FROM BOREDOM.

See what I am saying?

You know when you are eating a really delicious cake, or gulping down a great mixed fruit juice? And like, the first few mouthfuls, or gulpfuls, are pure bliss, and then you get to the end, and you are left with some crumbs on your plate, or a few drops of liquid in the glass, and are desperately trying to scoop them up, spending more time scooping than eating or drinking. Isn't that quite annoying?

Wouldn't you rather have a new glass of juice, or another plate of cake, than to keep scooping all the tiny bits that are left for half a fucking hour, only you can't quite justify to yourself the extra 5 or 10 euros for the new plate or glass (since you are, after all, at an expensive restaurant), so you are in this middle state which is more torture than enjoyment?

And then, there is the fact that, even if you were willing to order another plate or glass, you'd have to actually ORDER it, and it'd take a while for them to BRING it to you, so you keep procrastinating, and out of pure INERTIA simply keep scooping up or sucking on your straw or whatever, like a fucking idiot while everyone can see you?

That's what these dudes are basically doing, only worse, because in the food analogy you don't get the extra incentive to keep going from the prestige of being the person with the FEWEST crumbs on his plate or the LEAST amount of liquid in his glass.

In real life such a person would be ridiculed for being poor and a miser.

In videogames he becomes a champion.

Or take Rando's comments in the Shmups thread. Where he says that "the score helps the player to see how well he is doing" -- or something to that effect. It's hard to believe that someone as experienced with scoring systems as Rando could make such a mistake. For I might be on the very last stage, just one shot from killing the final boss, while having a LOWER score from someone who just died on the second stage -- so in what way was the score showing us how well we were doing? I was doing better than the aspie all the while having a LOWER score. I finished the goddamn game, and got a cool CONGRATULATIONS screen, whereas the aspie got a screen that said "WHY DON'T YOU TRY HARD NEXT TIME", so there's no question of who was doing better. Essentially, if you have really deeply understood what a scoring system is and how it works, you will have realized that it is IMPOSSIBLE for the score to be an accurate reflection of a player's progress in all but the most primitive of games. Even in something as simple score-wise as R-Type, the moment the player figures out how your scoring system works he can begin min-maxing and milking it, and all idea of the score actually representing anything other than itself goes out the window.

Did you get the last sentence? The score ultimately represents nothing more and nothing less than HOW WELL YOU ARE SCORING, just like IQ tests only reflect how good you are at taking IQ tests, and may or may not have anything to do with your actual intelligence (or even normal school tests, for that matter). Past a certain point, when the player has become, after a shitload of strategizing, etc., very familiar with how your system works, a huge score even indicates the OPPOSITE of progress: the player who pushed himself TO THE VERY EDGE in order to maximize his first stage score will ALMOST CERTAINLY end up DYING IN IT, just as someone who spends his whole time preparing for IQ tests, or studying for school tests with the only object of making the highest grades, without taking any actual interest in the subjects he studies, or extra-curricular activities, will end up a worthless idiot who is simply good at passing tests.

There's a ton more interesting stuff in that thread, but that's what's most relevant to what you posted and I don't feel like copypasting more right now. Hopefully you get the general gist, he provided more than enough examples and analogies I think. If you still need more clarification I can try and provide it myself (if it wasn't already addressed later in the thread, in which case it's easier and more useful just to quote it.)

Quote from: Derek
The problem with this logic is that by the time you've finished most challenging arcade games you've had to replay the same levels many, many times. Now, your argument has always been that the level design in your favorite games is so good that you don't mind replaying them over and over again... but you can't tell me that it's only worth it until you've seen the (usually very short and inconsequential) endings of these titles?

It seems like, in challenging yourself to beat arcade games on one credit, there's very little distinction here between playing for score and playing to see the ending of the game. In both cases you get to experience (and have to RE-experience, possibly more than you'd like to) the level design and audiovisuals. In both cases you're also receiving a fairly arbitrary measure of accomplishment within the game.

It's worth it the entire time, or else I would have just stopped playing.

The difference is that in the first case one of the main reasons I keep playing the same levels is because I want to experience what happens next, a reward which is far less arbitrary and far more important than a number increasing in the top of the screen. In the second case the point is to basically make a number go up after I've already seen practically everything (secret bosses, etc. notwithstanding) in the first place.* It's an attempt to basically extend the "life" of the game after you beat it by injecting a shitload of (usually unnatural) complexity into the scoring system, but the more logical and natural approach would be to integrate that complexity into survival (aesthetically/atmospherically as well ofc) and require the player to use it to beat the game in the first place (and if you really wanted you could make a "regular" easy mode or something, idk -- which is still a compromise of course, but it seems like a better one to me than having one natural system and one unnatural one), "endless replayability" be damned. In fact, link about all this below!

* Now you might say "but what about extra lives, don't you want those?" Yeah, that's generally the extent to which I play for score (to get them on the earlier stages, etc.) Ideally even that wouldn't really be necessary, though.

---------

While we're posting Shmups links, I'd like to draw everyone's attention to austere's topic "Scoreless shooting mode: 'Scoring' for survival", which essentially serves as an application of the theory mentioned in icy's essay. I'd recommend that everyone read the thread (as well as the originating essay of course), he's a smart dude and there are some interesting posts by others as well. (Some of you might remember him on here as "substance." =P)

I can't think of a more deserving victim. Thanks.

I can: ξ
« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 08:13:31 AM by DavidCaruso » Logged

Steel Assault devlog - NES-style 2D action platformer: successfully Kickstarted!
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: May 16, 2012, 08:20:56 AM »

i'd suggest against openly linking to pirated material on this forum, because forums that do that tend to be taken down due to complaints to the server that hosts the website. all icycalm now has to do is to report this site to the company that owns its server, and no more tigsource

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic