Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 20, 2024, 01:00:33 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralWhat was I playing?
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: What was I playing?  (Read 14845 times)
Arne
The Pantymaster
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« on: February 17, 2007, 03:20:27 PM »

What was I playing?

First one was a diving game I played on a Vic-20 on a B/W TV. I recall getting to the second level where there were some shelves with stuff on I couldn't figure out what to do with.

Second one was a platform game for the Master System. There were 3 characters (or several) and each had a special ability which allowed them to aproach a level differently. One of them could smash blocks.
Edit: Most likely Psycho Fox, thanks!

The last one was a sidescrolling (to right, unless my memory is mirrored) shoot em up for a pre-NES system. There was ome sort of temple ground and black cannon balls coming at you.

Anyone else have games they don't remember the name of? Maybe we could help each other out?
« Last Edit: February 17, 2007, 07:32:56 PM by Arne » Logged
Anthony Flack
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2007, 05:01:52 PM »

Was the Master System game Psycho Fox?

Currently in development: Cletus Clay
FARTRON
Level 4

the last man in space

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2007, 05:12:59 PM »

Did they release Lost Vikings on Master?  Cause that sounds like that pre-Bungie game.  Were they called Silicon and Synapse back then?

What was the name of that Apple IIe platformer where you dug holes and the opposing stick figures would fall in when they walked over?

Everything that was once directly lived has receded into a representation. - debord
PoV
Level 5

Click on the eye and something might happen..maybe

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2007, 05:41:02 PM »

Did they release Lost Vikings on Master?  Cause that sounds like that pre-Bungie game.  Were they called Silicon and Synapse back then?
Wasn't that Blizzard, not Bungie?

Mike Kasprzak | Sykhronics Entertainment - Smiles (HD), PuffBOMB, towlr, Ludum Dare - Blog
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2007, 06:57:13 PM »

Second one was a platform game for the Master System. There were 3 characters (or several) and each had a special ability which allowed them to aproach a level differently. One of them could smash blocks.
Sounds like WonderBoy III.

The last one was a sidescrolling shoot em up for a pre-NES system. There was ome sort of temple ground and black cannon balls coming at you.
I remember playing two games top-down games with this distinctive greek temple graphics. One was on megadrive and the other one on a NES, I don't remember the names unfortunately.

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Arne
The Pantymaster
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2007, 07:21:04 PM »

Psycho Fox... I don't recognize it instantly, but it was probably some 15-20 years ago. Could be it though, cuz I confused the name with Phantasy star, which is remotely similar.

Did Wonderboy III have different player characters?

Edit: I think it is Psycho Fox, I just watched a youtube video of it. I remember the trampolines.

The templeground game was scrolling to the right. It was nearly 20 years ago aswell, definately not NES or Sega Genesis.

What was the name of that Apple IIe platformer where you dug holes and the opposing stick figures would fall in when they walked over?

A LodeRunner clone?
« Last Edit: February 17, 2007, 07:31:20 PM by Arne » Logged
FARTRON
Level 4

the last man in space

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2007, 09:31:19 PM »

Wasn't that Blizzard, not Bungie?

Most definately.  I mis-typed.

Everything that was once directly lived has receded into a representation. - debord
Arne
The Pantymaster
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2007, 10:36:16 PM »

Apparently Psycho Fox had a charmy sequel of sorts called Magical Flying Hat Turbo Adventure.
ravuya
Level 7

Yip yip yip yip yip

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2007, 11:56:45 PM »

That last game doodle reminds me a lot of Oxyd, though I don't think it is.

Abadox
Level 0

full metal jackass

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2007, 02:01:25 AM »

I think the last one is Knightmare by Konami. But the version I have is for Dos and scrolls vertically. You play a little blue knight who shoots arrows at black shiny round things and bats. Maybe that's not it but the picture made me think of it as soon as I saw it.
Arne
The Pantymaster
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2007, 02:25:18 AM »

Hmmm no, I don't think that's it. This was before I got a NES, so maybe around 1986-1987. I might be mistaken about the temples, I was probably like 10 at the time and I only played it at a friend's place, one of my early contacts with videogames.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2007, 02:27:26 AM by Arne » Logged
Arne
The Pantymaster
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2007, 02:56:47 AM »

It might have looked something like this (Photoshop fake screen):

Abadox
Level 0

full metal jackass

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2007, 03:17:20 AM »

I was mistaken, Knightmare was for MSX in 1986.

no, not it?
Arne
The Pantymaster
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2007, 03:49:36 AM »

It looks familiar, now I'm getting unsure. If it had been a horiz-scroller that would've been it. It must have been 20 years ago, so my memory is old and probably corrupted.

Knightwars is a bit like GunSmoke (NES) in gameplay?
Anthony Flack
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2007, 06:10:24 AM »

Man, that looks too close to not be right, surely? Perhaps you were lying down at the time.

Currently in development: Cletus Clay
Abadox
Level 0

full metal jackass

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2007, 02:45:47 PM »

Knightwars is a bit like GunSmoke (NES) in gameplay?
It's more just a standard shooter except you're a little dude instead of a space ship. Stuff just comes down at you from the top of the screen and you can only shoot straight up. It's got power ups and stuff. It uses the "shoot the power up to change it to a different one" mechanic, like 1942. I haven't gotten too far into it because the port I have is for dos (I don't know if it runs under emulation or what) and uses the pc speaker to emit high pitched sqeals for "sound effects". other than that it's actually kind of a fun little game. I think I got it from HOTU. Oh, it's "mare", not "wars".
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2007, 02:59:54 PM »

Yeah knightmare is the one I was thinking, was it released for NES too? if not it's on MSX that I've played it.
There was a game with similar gameplay and graphics for Megadrive too.

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Madgarden
Level 1

C=

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2007, 05:15:24 PM »

It does indeed exist for NES, though I think it may have a different title...

Yea, here it is: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King's_Knight
« Last Edit: February 19, 2007, 08:37:48 PM by Madgarden » Logged
Gargantua
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2007, 08:02:21 PM »

This is so many generations later it hurts, but there was a game by konami that I guess was an rpg. Anyway you were in a mech going down into the moon investigating whatever strange things were happening; all I remember as from my childish memories is that it was actually interesting as the people you know started to change/ get infected. It wasn't anything groundbreaking, but I remember actually being scared by it, and now I can't remember it for the life of me. Oh it was for the playstation, so  shoot me if it's too un-indie.
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2007, 11:59:22 PM »

This is so many generations later it hurts, but there was a game by konami that I guess was an rpg. Anyway you were in a mech going down into the moon investigating whatever strange things were happening; all I remember as from my childish memories is that it was actually interesting as the people you know started to change/ get infected. It wasn't anything groundbreaking, but I remember actually being scared by it, and now I can't remember it for the life of me. Oh it was for the playstation, so  shoot me if it's too un-indie.

That sounds pretty sweet... what was the gameplay like?  What was the perspective?
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic