Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411468 Posts in 69368 Topics- by 58422 Members - Latest Member: daffodil_dev

April 22, 2024, 11:29:05 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsJobsCollaborationsArkham Shadows - LoFi Oryx Horror - Looking for code/design
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Arkham Shadows - LoFi Oryx Horror - Looking for code/design  (Read 16873 times)
oryx
Level 3

View Profile
« on: May 13, 2012, 04:12:29 PM »

After the success of the Assemblee competition Fantasy sprites I made (http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=8970.0) - I did a similar set based in the Lovecraftian horror universe. They've sat dormant for a few years unused and I think that's a tragedy! Let's put them to use!

Are any coders/designers interested in making a game out of this set? A roguelike? An rpg? PC? iOS? something else? Please send me your proposals!

Oryx
http://www.oryxdesignlab.com/
All artwork (C)2012
« Last Edit: May 13, 2012, 07:00:25 PM by oryx » Logged
DustyDrake
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2012, 04:36:12 PM »

Heh, I don't know if it's intentional but I chuckled at the fact that you use Realm of the Mad God-esque sprites and your name is Oryx.

...Wait...
 Shocked
Oh, you ARE Oryx!

Uh... carry on.

Odinulf
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2012, 08:29:40 AM »

This guy was the one who made the original sprites for realm.

I really admire your work Smiley
cystem glitch
Level 2

wack

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2012, 11:27:30 AM »

those scenes at the top are amazing

You told me, never to limit myself to one style...to use any move that works...TO KEEP AN OPEN MIND!
oryx
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2012, 08:11:44 PM »

those scenes at the top are amazing

Thanks! They were fun to make. They are intended to be used as level/mission/story/module introductions. With a title or character standing in the foreground with parallax.
JMickle
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2012, 02:01:31 AM »

I'd love to help, but I think it'd be wise for me to finish my current project first.

Snowzurfer
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2012, 10:50:43 AM »

Man, you are just the best  Shocked .

Really.

Could I make a game with all that god stuff? I was planing to make a retro-style game, and these graphics are simply perfect and awesome!   Kiss
Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2012, 01:20:18 PM »

Could do something with those graphics using Strat Tech's game engine.  http://rydia.net/udder/prog/strattech/index.html

The Strat Tech engine is quite flexible and it would be cool to do something more with it.  It would also be quite different since in Strat Tech, you only ever fight the same types of units you have yourself (except the 3 boss fights).  It would be your 8 classes versus 24 enemy classes, and 10 sub-boss level enemy classes.

Edit: I just remembered I had written up a document for a dungeon crawler version of Strat Tech, could be modified a bit for this.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2012, 07:34:37 AM by Udderdude » Logged
Jerom
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2012, 05:24:21 AM »

What font did you use for "The Casts/The Horrors" and for "The House on the Hill" ? They fit very well with these sprite sheets!

Panurge
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2012, 11:14:03 AM »

Man, those Old Ones look so cute I could just take them home and cuddle them. Hmmm, maybe that's what they want me to do...

TacoBell_Lord
Level 2

Burrito Connoisseur

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2012, 03:58:19 PM »

so yeah.......I'm tracking this one *bookmarks*

RPG Gamer/Burrito Addict

Explore the Cosmos. Working on Project 88x doods.
velch
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2012, 10:55:54 PM »

I would be very interested from a sound designer view point, if you decide to combine not-so-low-fi sound design (not music) with the lo-fi imagery!

Looking amazing though! Hand Thumbs Up Right
Faust06
Level 5

terminally laid-back

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2012, 08:10:27 PM »

I was actually thinking of creating a roguelike with small sprites.
looter
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2012, 10:25:00 PM »

Id love to use these for something im working on.
Zarpar
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2012, 03:33:16 AM »

I could make a small roguelike or rpg with a bit of time and some more tiles for level design. I am only 14 so do not have much experience but have been teaching myself to code in the Unity3d engine which can also be used for 2d games so will be able to make a small game. I like your tiles a lot, thanks for reading and sorry for a late reply
Zarpar
R1N6MAN
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2012, 10:22:53 AM »

Wow, these are great!!!  I was wondering if I could use them for a 3d first person game.  I was working on a "wolfenstein 3d" like engine in opengl.  I was curious to see how these sprites would look in that engine.  I'll let you know if I get anything cool done with them.
Games Inquirer
Level 4

I love video games.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2012, 12:25:45 AM »

Would love to play that concept game, looks rad, great work.

Check out my amateur blog in Greek or English.
TertiumQuid
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2012, 01:32:48 AM »

Those are just great; lush and evocative. I've half-a-dozen Lovecraftian game prototypes, but none for which these sprites work. *crushing disappointment*!

BomberJacket
TIGBaby

Programmer and Leather Jacket Enthusiast

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2012, 07:50:56 PM »

Some fantastic art there!

I've actually been thinking for some time about making an action roguelike with primarily loot-based progression rather than stats. I initially tried to do it in 3D in Unity3d but issues with lighting and room generation made the project pretty frustrating. I think I bit off a bit more than I could chew.

Anyway, as a Lovecraft fan, experienced Unity3d programmer, and admirer of your previous work, I'd definitely be interested. Going with the Lovecraftian theme, you almost have to have a sanity meter. One idea I had in conjunction with that was having each class (nun,explorer,etc.) have one active and one passive ability to define the class. So, for example, here's something the user might see when selecting a class.

Nun
A shadow has fallen over not only Arkham, but the entire world. And only those of unwavering faith can hope to overcome it.
Health: Low
Sanity: High
Melee: Low
Guns: Med
Spells: High

Possible Starting Equipment:
Rosary (Sanity Damage Reduced)
Bible (Prayer More Effective)
Censer (Slightly Masks Presence)

Special Ability: Prayer
And yea, though I walk through the valley in the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for thou art with me
Prayer, it seems, is not only healthy for the soul, but the mind as well. While praying, the Nun can regain Sanity, but she must remain stationary, her sight radius is heavily reduced and she will take more Health damage from enemy attacks.
Passive Ability: Faith
I am the Lord your God. You shall have no other gods before me
The Nun's strong faith in God enables her to press on through impossible trials. Any Sanity or Health damage taken is reduced

Anyway, on top of these two abilities, I think that when the characters go insane (at 1/2 or 1/4 max sanity), that one of their abilities should go inactive and the other go from being a benefit to being a detriment. So, for example, when the Nun goes insane, she loses the ability to pray, and Faith is replaced by Lost Faith.

Passive Ability: Lost Faith
My God, My God, why have you forsaken me?
No nihilism is stronger than lost faith. Having lost the foundation of her entire being, the Nun now takes increased Health and Sanity damage.

So, whaddya think? I've got to admit, now that I've come up with this stuff, I'm already thinking of more potential characters.
HarrisonJK
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2012, 11:43:45 AM »

The art looks a lot like that from the Lost Cities card game, and I mean that it is very cool!

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/50/lost-cities

Also, the game is pretty good.

Keep it up bomberjacket, pretty cool nun you got there!
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic