Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1412072 Posts in 69447 Topics- by 58484 Members - Latest Member: bigdog243

June 25, 2024, 04:45:45 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitions7DFPS
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]
Print
Author Topic: 7DFPS  (Read 26963 times)
deathtotheweird
« Reply #140 on: June 21, 2012, 11:41:24 AM »

you made it in unity right? there's literally no reason why you couldn't have done a browser build. put it up on kongregate and you would have gotten 2 to 5 times more plays at the very least. making a jam game in unity and not publishing a browser version for no reason should be a crime.

I liked the overall presentation of the game, you made it look pretty good for how basic it is. wasn't able to play it with a decent frame-rate on this laptop, I'll try it later when I get my computer problems sorted.
Chris Pavia
« Reply #141 on: June 21, 2012, 12:11:46 PM »

I wish I had done a browser version, but it was mainly due to my lack of experience with that format. I've never made a browser build before, and there were several things I'm using in the game (such as the full-screen image effects) that I wasn't sure would work seamlessly in-browser like they do in the standalone version. I won't make that mistake in future jams though, of course.
deathtotheweird
« Reply #142 on: June 21, 2012, 12:43:45 PM »

they should work fine, it would have taken you a few minutes just to publish and test the browser build. most of the time I just publish and upload, unity's browser export is very solid and I've never had a single issue.

it would have taken you less time to export a browser build and upload it than it would have for you to write your post complaining about lack of plays. meh.
Chris Pavia
« Reply #143 on: June 21, 2012, 12:47:45 PM »

Eh, it's not that big a deal to me. I'm really happy with the output and I can't wait to expand on it, which is more important to me than number of plays.

I also have no idea how to actually get it up onto my website. Is there a quick reference for that? I haven't done any web/server stuff before, which is the more daunting part of the process for me.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 12:59:55 PM by Chris Pavia » Logged
deathtotheweird
« Reply #144 on: June 21, 2012, 01:38:31 PM »

unity does all that for you, just export it to any directory. it'll export an html file to go along with the .unity3d file. it gives you the option to disable the right click context menu, so choose that if your game uses the right mouse button.

or for kongregate, all you have to do is upload the .unity3d file

here's the documentation if you want to take every advantage of the web player. but generally speaking you can just export it and immediately host it and be fine.
Chris Pavia
« Reply #145 on: June 21, 2012, 01:48:15 PM »

Cool thanks, I'm at work so it's tough to search for that stuff until I get home (typing on my phone atm). I'll give it a try with future WIP builds of the game.
PompiPompi
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #146 on: June 22, 2012, 12:46:04 AM »

This competition is really inspiring that you can make an FPS in such a short time. Of course it's a bit misleading because some people used their own engine\game code, but once you got all the framework set up or have use Unity or the likes it shouldn't take long to create an FPS game.
This has lead me to decide on making an FPS game with my 3D framework in prety short time. No need to work on a game for a few years.
I will probably make it a free game because my games arn't succesful anyway. :/

Master of all trades.
Dragonmaw
« Reply #147 on: June 22, 2012, 01:07:00 AM »

personal favs: timescale and receiver.

Hey, thanks! I feel like timescale has gone mostly unnoticed, which I chalk up to the gameplay being fairly traditional and the high-concept not being as off-the-wall as others. So I get excited when someone has played and enjoyed it!  Kiss

It's one of the slicker games. Polished and fun!
GZ
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #148 on: June 22, 2012, 07:23:44 PM »

Since this is the closest thing to a 7DFPS megathread here, I guess I'll just post what I did:

http://gzstorm.com/the-4th-wall/download.php

It's probably best described as an abstract horror puzzle game.

Screenshot:

Some background: For some reason I did this project before 7DFPS started, I'm not sure why, because I didn't even remember the competition was going to start soon and kind of did this on a whim. In fact, I probably couldn't have participated in 7DFPS's official time anyway because my cooler died and took my computer out of commission during it. I very rarely do 3D games, but this was fun to do and it took 3-4 days to complete.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2012, 10:06:28 PM by GZ » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic