Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411488 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 29, 2024, 03:24:43 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingRobGetOut - what do you think about this 3D platformer(-ish)?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: RobGetOut - what do you think about this 3D platformer(-ish)?  (Read 2387 times)
Bad Sector
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« on: May 17, 2012, 12:47:03 PM »

There.

I'm working on it since a while. I started it to learn XNA for a job that never worked out (apparently they wanted freelancers with revenue share instead of employees) but then i decided to continue working on it because controlling the bot around the maps actually was fun. I replaced the original textures with new using a more consistent look (a some sort of sketchy look with a bit of 90s 3D games inspiration - yes, the choice was because i can't do 1024x1024 normalspecularmapped textures yet, so i decided to stick to something i can do consistently :-P). I haven't replaced the robot yet to fit in the style though, but that will happen soon. Here is a small shot from the game (more in the site above, including a download link):

The game is obviously in prealpha stage and hardly has any kind of gameplay. At some point it'll be ported to a custom C engine for Mac OS X and Linux versions (the "game code" will be mostly in LIL anyway, which is usable via C#/XNA so i'll only need to write the rendering and input parts in C - and i already have an engine in works, it just cannot load maps from my 3D world editor yet).

However i'm interested in feedback sooner than later. What people think about how the game looks and plays (btw, i'll add XBox360 controller support soon... i just need a controller first :-P)?

Note that the music is a temporary track i got from Jamendo. I'll replace it at some point with proper music for the game. If anyone wishes to offer some other placeholder that might fit better, please do :-).

~bs~
Eendhoorn
Level 6

Quak

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2012, 01:25:55 PM »

Never heard of this LIL thing, sounds interesting. Could you tell a bit more how you will use LIL to communicate between C en C#?

As for the game, I loved the atmosphere, it felt really 90's indeed. I really wish I could jump though.

Bad Sector
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2012, 02:10:11 PM »

LIL is a scripting language i have written in C (and made a second implementation in FreePascal for my 3D world editor). It is very Tcl-like, although in my opinion a bit simpler (and *way* smaller, since the C implementation is just a pair of c/h files and the FP implementation a single unit). The code looks like (fake function names, just to get an idea):

Code:
set dude [spawn dude]
set-texture $dude dude.jpg
on $dude collision { print $other hit $me }

It is a fully dynamic language based on string substitution, which makes it extremely flexible (and extremely slow :-P but if you use it for decision making and leave the workload to the native side, it is fine even for old machines). As an example, control structures like if, while, set even func (for function declaration) are regular functions.

About how this will be used via C#, it is simple: i have written C# bindings for the C DLL, so i can use the language from C# too. The current C#/XNA engine will simply expose the same functions to LIL scripts as the C engine so the game scripts will be transferred without issues. The C#/XNA engine is temporary because it wasn't written for a big project and i don't plan on doing advanced stuff there like menus, guis, etc - these will be done in the C engine.

An example of something i'm talking about are pickable entities. These entities emit a "picked" message to all the entities they are linked to (links are made via the editor) so that they can trigger other things. The code for creating a pickable entity could be

Code:
func spawn-pickable {} {
    set entity [spawn]
    on $entity collision {
        if [is-player $other] {
            foreach link [links $entity] {
                send $link picked $link $other
            }
        }
    }
    # other setup here, like rotation, etc
    return $entity
}

The golden pickaxe could use the above like

Code:
func spawn-pickaxe {} {
    set entity [spawn-pickable]
    entity-model $entity pickaxe
    # other setup here, like collision modes, etc
    return $entity
}

When loading the world file, the engine will simply call a spawn-<blah> function (where <blah> is the name of the entity as stored in the world file) and expect an entity as the function's result.

~bs~
Bad Sector
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2012, 06:36:06 PM »

Just out of curiosity i replaced the floor texture with a more realistic-ish texture (made by modelling the surface in blender and coloring it in GIMP) and i doubled the texels per world unit so that there is more texture resolution (which is why the other textures look smaller since they're the original). How does that look?

For what is worth, that took me around 20 times more time than the original texture, even though the general "shape idea" is the same :-P

Also it is tempting to put some normal mapping there since i already have the depth buffer from Blender.

~bs~
Bad Sector
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2012, 06:23:00 AM »

After some comments about the dark and single-color palette, i did some tests with light colors and added a bit of contrast in the rendering to make it a bit more vivid:

~bs~
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2012, 08:23:58 AM »

you need to use more than one texture on the whole level

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Bad Sector
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2012, 02:30:50 PM »

How about three? :-P

It is three times as good!

(yeah, i need, it just takes ages to make one of these - at least for me, being the first time i use Blender to make textures, it takes at least ~3h per texture).

I also plan on using decals and such to break repetitiveness.

~bs~
Bad Sector
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2012, 03:20:46 PM »

Yet another texture replaced (the one the bot is standing on) :-)

I think i replaced all the major textures. Now for the smaller (like the one at the left side of the screen).

~bs~
Bad Sector
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2012, 10:21:29 PM »

Uploaded a new version.

~bs~
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2012, 05:00:04 AM »

Yet another texture replaced (the one the bot is standing on) :-)

badly aligned, can you imagine they would bolt metal tile diagonally like that irl?
The texture on the slope isn't very good either
The number one texture to change is the one on the pilars

There are many tutorials about level texturing, you should hang around unreal engine or quake engine forums

here's one

Good luck

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Bad Sector
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2012, 10:54:35 AM »

Actually the texture has a rombus shape:

As about why, it is simple: to break the rectangular look of the other textures :-P. I'm not too bothered if someone in real life would bolt tiles like that - i'm more concerned if it looks nice (visually, not from a realism perspective) or not.

The texture on the left was from the previous style and wasn't updated. In the new version i uploaded yesterday the texture has been replaced and extra geometry was added to avoid the abrupt cut off of the tiles texture:

Thanks for the tutorial link, the part about brightness was very interesting. I'm not too sure about limiting palettes for the textures, however (even if myself so far i'm using only 2-3 colors in the new textures). It seems to create monochromatic scenes, which isn't something i like. As far as Unreal Engine games go, i think i'm aiming for something like Bioshock (which is far from colorless and not that realistic either). Not that i'm trying to use the same style (i'm not, my game has a clear sci-fi theme) - just that in a scale between <generic UE game> and Bioshock i'm closer to Bioshock, if only for the colors alone. Of course i also can't do the same detail :-).

~bs~
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic