Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 08:09:11 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsCrea
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8
Print
Author Topic: Crea  (Read 32360 times)
Austiyn
« Reply #100 on: March 20, 2013, 07:56:58 PM »

This looks pretty nice.
jmcmorris
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #101 on: March 20, 2013, 08:36:05 PM »

Thanks guys for the feedback. This is the first I've heard someone say the text seems bloated but I can see that. One thing I have been uncertain about with this logo is the possibly over abundant level of detail in it.

However, as far as the price goes, I just have to say ouch. I definitely won't be buying it until there's a price drop unless there's a really convincing demo. I can't generally afford it and without knowing what it provides that similar games that cost less and do relatively the same thing don't, it's hard to convince myself to pay that. If I'm jumping the gun, though, and the price isn't finalized, then just ignore this.

During our kickstarter we had a $25 reward tier that included the game, beta access, soundtrack and a digital artbook. The initial release matches this since we will be making it available the same time we give access to those $25 kickstarter backers. After a few weeks we'll make a $10 option for just the game.

Reggie
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: March 20, 2013, 08:41:54 PM »

I decided to watch one of your recorded streams and you were playing Fez music... <3  Gomez <3
jmcmorris
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #103 on: March 20, 2013, 09:17:43 PM »

I decided to watch one of your recorded streams and you were playing Fez music... <3  Gomez <3

Haha, I'm always playing that. At least once a day.

Connor
Level 8

Smooth talker, musician. Loves all things 70s.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #104 on: May 03, 2013, 08:50:05 AM »

is this dead?
-insert 007 skyfall theme here-

Firearrow games
www.firearrowgames.net

blitzkampfer:
https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=52009.msg1280646#msg1280646

too bad eggybooms ents are actually men in paper mache suits and they NEED to be agile
jmcmorris
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #105 on: May 03, 2013, 10:00:59 AM »

is this dead?
-insert 007 skyfall theme here-

Not at all! We launched a private beta with about 25 players and will be increasing that number soon. Things have been slow lately but that will be changing soon. I still make fairly regular devblog posts. I mostly just forgot to post here even though I visit multiple times a day haha.

Connor
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #106 on: May 21, 2013, 07:47:12 AM »

oh alright. XD

Firearrow games
www.firearrowgames.net

blitzkampfer:

too bad eggybooms ents are actually men in paper mache suits and they NEED to be agile
jmcmorris
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #107 on: June 17, 2013, 01:25:36 PM »

It has been forever since I posted an update here. We are finally at the point that the majority of the systems are fully implemented and have been refined and progress is much more visible now. Consequently, I started doing weekly updates last week and I thought I could at the least start posted those here. I'll post last weeks update and this weeks update will be up tomorrow.

I am going to kick off these weekly recaps with a big one – we have a lot of catching up to do!

Back in March, I brought a new developer on board to help with Crea, Max. He is a freelance programmer and self-described “monster hunter” who supported our Kickstarter and ran a successful Kickstarter of his own. Two weeks ago, Max flew out from the East Coast to stay at our place for a while to make some serious damage to Crea’s task list.

This is what Max looks like.

As I mentioned in my last post, we are working on refining existing content and systems. Since Max got here we started doing a lot of designing and planning out how everything in Crea fits together. This includes things like items, game progression and bosses. Lots of fun stuff. This last week we heavily focused on equipment (weapons and armor).

There is so much to talk about regarding the equipment that I’ll save it for its own post. What I will say for now is that we completely scrapped all of the existing equipment in favor of a much more interesting system. Before our equipment was in tiers awfully similar to Minecraft and Terraria – i.e. “Copper Sword” -> “Iron Sword” -> “Gold Sword”. There is beauty in the simplicity but after talking we realized we wanted something else; something new. Now equipment will be upgraded and provide more unique attributes that will actually have an impact on gameplay rather than only increasing stats. Ok I’ve already said way more than I was wanting to…

Some sketches for the weapon progression

The majority of our week was spent designing the new equipment and implementing it into the game. Kelley worked on the equipment art assets, Aaron helped implement the equipment content files and I finished off the equipment by working on the unique attributes.

The Winged Bow shoots 3 arrows at once!

Beyond equipment I did a plethora of small to medium changes:
  • Finished up a completely new physics system
  • Added in movement sloping (so players can run up one high blocks)
  • Trees and blocks emit particles when hit
  • Added tile placement preview
  • Fixed a handful of bugs

Look at those particles bounce!

Max spent the first half of the week finishing up some world generation enhancement with a focus on making the underground more interesting. The second part of the week was spent working on reworking the monster spawning system some because there was some fundamental problems with the frequency at which monster spawners were created. We are still going to have spawners but we are trying to get the rate at which monsters are around to fight to be just right. In the current beta version monsters are rather scarce and it breaks the pacing of the game completely.

Some of Max’s monster idea doodles

This next week we have lots planned. Here is a quick highlight:

• Crafting system needs to be updated to enable the new equipment upgrade system
  • Monster spawning is going to be wrapped up
  • Design and implement some equipment accessories
  • Water – Simulation is done but needs to affect gameplay
  • Waycrystals – Quick travel system

Alright, that’ll do it for this week’s update. Let me know what you think and if there are any parts you’d like us to go into detail more/less.

Original Post

jmcmorris
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #108 on: June 21, 2013, 09:30:38 AM »

Here again with a new recap.  I am pleased that we managed to finish most of what we set out to do this last week.

I finished upgrading the crafting system to make it possible to provide equipment as an ingredient. While I was at it, I cleaned up the crafting, equipment and talent UI. Both the crafting and talent UI used dropdown menus to select your current category/talent. At first I thought this was a wonderful idea because it is extremely expandable making it mod friendly; however, after time I have realized that this is a pre-optimization and 99% of new items could fit into the existing categories.

Max spent the majority of the week working on monster spawning. Now spawners are permanently placed in the world and, when taken down to 0HP, instead of being destroyed the spawner is temporarily disabled for 15 minutes. We have plans to give the player the power to destroy spawners and have them respawn much more slowly than what we had before. This is one of those things that needs lots and lots of tweaking to get just right.

The other big task I worked on this week was adding in water to the world. The simulation was a little broken from months of neglect and once I did get it back up I spent some time smoothing it out. A large chunk of my time was spent on getting the water to be saved with the world and transmitted to clients during multiplayer. I began to incorporate it into gameplay but only got as far as having it affect player movement when I made the decision to wrap up other things so we could release a new early beta build today.

Water (work in progress)

Wrapping things up involves lots of tiny tasks remaining from the larger features such as ensuring that all new items can be obtained one way or another. There is also the task of fixing the bugs that we have created over the last few weeks; fortunately there aren’t too many of those!

Over the next week we are going to be focusing on finishing up several features that need some love.
  • Way Crystals
  • Water
  • Tooltip visual overhaul
  • The “underground” biome

We will hopefully get to a few smaller things on our list as well but we have lots of planning to do before Max heads back home on Saturday. We have a great momentum and if we can keep it up then the next beta phase is just around the corner.

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #109 on: June 21, 2013, 04:02:08 PM »

Lots of progress, well done. Can't wait to play this! Smiley

jmcmorris
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #110 on: July 10, 2013, 10:34:21 PM »

I missed a few recaps that you can find here.[/flash]
Weekly Recap #3
Weekly Recap #4
Weekly Recap #5

In other news, Crea beta is finally up and available for preorder! This is a great milestone but Crea still has a long journey ahead.

A great amount of work has gone into polishing the existing content and features and fixing bugs over the last few weeks. Soon I will make a second pass at the mod API and get everything cleaned up for official mod support.

makerimages
Level 2

Makerimages Studios

View Profile WWW
« Reply #111 on: July 23, 2013, 10:44:09 PM »

Just to say so: twitch.tv/siegegames

Makerimages-Its in the pixel
Swifty
Level 2

Must Keep Walking.

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: July 24, 2013, 02:43:05 AM »

Love the graphics, and that crafting system GUI is real smooth! Hand Thumbs Up Left

makerimages
Level 2

Makerimages Studios

View Profile WWW
« Reply #113 on: July 25, 2013, 11:10:34 PM »

Taking the liberty to tell you that he is live again-this needs more publicity www.twitch.tv/siegegames

Makerimages-Its in the pixel
Connor
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #114 on: August 09, 2013, 05:51:42 PM »

this updated at all?

Firearrow games
www.firearrowgames.net

blitzkampfer:

jmcmorris
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #115 on: August 09, 2013, 06:11:37 PM »

Yup! All of the time. In fact, I just posted an update on my dev blog a few hours ago. Smiley

MrPlosion1243
« Reply #116 on: August 09, 2013, 07:25:11 PM »

I'm definitely following this, seems like it's coming along quite nicely.  Smiley Hand Thumbs Up Right
jmcmorris
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #117 on: November 04, 2013, 10:36:36 AM »

I've come to the conclusion that I suck at keeping this devlog updated. Here are some of the latest happenings.

Crea has a fancy new website. I'm really proud of how it turned out.

After a lot of work we now have a reasonably nice

and

After holding off for a very long time, Crea is now on Greenlight. Yay!

Overall things are going pretty well for Crea. It still has a ways to go before being finished but it is looking better and better by the day.

rundown
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #118 on: November 04, 2013, 01:36:34 PM »

I've come to the conclusion that I suck at keeping this devlog updated. Here are some of the latest happenings.

Crea has a fancy new website. I'm really proud of how it turned out.

After a lot of work we now have a reasonably nice

and

After holding off for a very long time, Crea is now on Greenlight. Yay!

Overall things are going pretty well for Crea. It still has a ways to go before being finished but it is looking better and better by the day.

Best of luck on greenlight. Looks great. And yes, you should give more updates for us to drool on!

jmcmorris
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #119 on: November 07, 2013, 10:33:11 AM »

Yesterday I managed to put together a standalone server for Crea. I am really glad I had been planning this all along otherwise it could have taken days instead of hours. It runs in the terminal and will soon be working on all platforms. I just need to add it to the Makefile for OSX and Linux.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic