Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411273 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 02:59:28 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsCrea
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8
Print
Author Topic: Crea  (Read 32242 times)
eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #120 on: November 07, 2013, 01:51:43 PM »

Awesome dude. You're getting so much done with this game, I don't know how you do it! Smiley

jmcmorris
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #121 on: November 08, 2013, 09:14:52 AM »

I am fueled by coffee and video game music. Being able to work fulltime on it might also have something to do with it.

Yesterday I decided I was going to add in the option to provide the RNG seed for world generation. It took about 1 minute to add in the option and the remainder of the day to get it to work correctly. After some fumbling around I discovered that I was using the same RNG after accumulating some amount of frametime. This of course could change a little bit each run. Now I have a RNG specifically for world related things.

makerimages
Level 2

Makerimages Studios

View Profile WWW
« Reply #122 on: November 09, 2013, 03:44:16 AM »

where have the twitch dev streams gone??I really enjoyed watching those whenever possible.

Makerimages-Its in the pixel
jmcmorris
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #123 on: November 09, 2013, 08:23:54 AM »

I moved to the middle of nowhere and my new internet connection is not very good. I can barely even watch a stream now. I do miss streaming.

jmcmorris
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #124 on: November 13, 2013, 10:23:06 PM »

The last two days I have been working on getting Python and content files in Crea to automatically reload when they're changed while the game is running. I've had this partially working in the past but I finally got it to a good state. Now it also tracks module dependencies. This means it will reload any files that are affected by the change.

Upon finishing this I was excited to share and made this video that showcases some modding features in Crea.

makerimages
Level 2

Makerimages Studios

View Profile WWW
« Reply #125 on: February 14, 2014, 03:50:19 AM »

I moved to the middle of nowhere and my new internet connection is not very good. I can barely even watch a stream now. I do miss streaming.

Do any other of the Crea devs stream? (I may have accidentally clicked the memebership request button on pivotaltracker Tongue, sorry)

Makerimages-Its in the pixel
jmcmorris
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #126 on: July 07, 2014, 06:14:29 PM »

*puts away his Rod of Necromancy +1*

I have been thinking about this devlog a lot recently. I love the community here but have mostly been lurking for awhile now. I am attempting to draw together my determination to be a larger part here and make meaningful contributions.

So Crea... A lot has happened in the last 1/2 year since I posted here. Crea was greenlit and is now available on Steam Early Access. For those interested I recently wrote this thing about the first month of Steam sales, "Sales in the Brave New Steam World". I have also been doing lots of livestreams recently and trying to be as active with Crea's community as dev-ly possible.

As for development on Crea, it is coming along nicely. Multiplayer is finally working nicely and there are lots of cool new features and content such as the first boss (second boss is currently being worked on). Speaking of stuff we're working on, right now we are making a massive overhaul to the game's minute-to-minute gameplay. Trying to speed it up some and add more juice to it. This includes lots of things that I will hopefully get into soon. Until then, I'll keep trying to remember to actually post here!

Connor
Level 8

Smooth talker, musician. Loves all things 70s.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #127 on: July 07, 2014, 07:22:27 PM »

i havent seen updates on this in so long, so glad its still being worked on

Firearrow games
www.firearrowgames.net

blitzkampfer:
https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=52009.msg1280646#msg1280646

too bad eggybooms ents are actually men in paper mache suits and they NEED to be agile
eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #128 on: July 07, 2014, 09:26:11 PM »

Yep Crea is definitely alive and kicking, but like most little TIG babies, it grew legs and started it's own little community elsewhere. Meanwhile, Moonman's legs budded off from his body and he remained, perpetually glued to TIG via a purple odorous sap.

Great to hear dev is coming along well dude! I see updates on Twitter so I'm definitely casting my petrifying gaze over your wares every blue moon. Unfortunately I don't track RSS anymore (does anyone?), so you should mirror your blog posts here, or at least post a summary and link. Twitter is cool and all but it's super noisy, and so its hard to keep track of the important things.

SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #129 on: July 07, 2014, 10:30:45 PM »

Yep Crea is definitely alive and kicking, but like most little TIG babies, it grew legs and started it's own little community elsewhere. Meanwhile, Moonman's legs budded off from his body and he remained, perpetually glued to TIG via a purple odorous sap.

Yes, hmm, hmm. Yes, yes, I see.

As for this game, it's cool to hear that development continues, and I see that it's going well on the EA forum as well. Keep it up, man!

jmcmorris
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #130 on: July 09, 2014, 11:43:25 AM »

Thanks guys!

Some of the changes being worked on in Crea right now is reworking the movement and combat system. For movement this means adding in things like dodge roll, edge grabbing and eventual access to a air jump. For combat we're adding in a simple attack combo (up to 3 consecutive attacks), much more visual feedback for attacks, shields and a few other small things. As mentioned previously, the overall goal here is to make minute-to-minute gameplay more enjoyable. For combat the goal is to make it more strategic and skill based. This mostly means adding in options to stop damage (shields and dodge roll).

Dodge roll WIP with silly placeholder animations

Currently the player has access to a heal spell which can easily heal any damage taken if given some time. This results in the player going all out and having a slugfest with monsters because they almost always win if at full health because they can just heal to full afterwards. Being hit needs some form of longer lasting penalty than temporarily losing some health. The solution I've come up with so far is a max hp reduction when the player is hit. Right now 10% of unblocked damage decreases your maximum HP down to 70% of your total maximum HP. In order to restore this you must either return to a Way Crystal or use a semi-expensive item.

Muzz
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: July 09, 2014, 11:02:33 PM »

Oh hey Jasson! This is looking really sweet. When i get the time I'm going to go back and read through all this log.

(i met you at GDC through lex and terrance)
~Murry
« Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 01:58:46 AM by Muzz » Logged

SamLouix
Level 1

Solo Game Developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #132 on: July 09, 2014, 11:54:21 PM »

That one on the right is the... black sheep of the bunch  Well, hello there!

No but seriously your game looks good, I'll play it Smiley

← Avatar from my  Healing Process: Tokyo. 3 years in so far. Daily dev-log is here. I have advice for composers looking for work, join here, I'll tell you.
jmcmorris
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #133 on: July 14, 2014, 07:25:42 PM »

So the last few days I've been working on a new magic system. Any players that attempted being a mage quickly discovered it was unmanageable due to the lack of toolbar space. Crea has elemental damage and each arcane spell type had all 4 element flavors of it. Players would just pick a few spells to focus on and ignore the elements completely.

To remedy this we decided to split spells into two categories: channels and forms. A channel spell will channel the powers of an Aer (god-type creatures from Crea's mythos). Forms are essentially spell types such as projectile, support, enchant, etc. The resulting spell of casting a form will change depending on what you're channeling. Channel Aegnix the Aer of fire and cast a enshroud form to create a Firestorm spell that envelopes your character dealing damage to nearby enemies.

In addition to this I'm going to play around with the idea of adding this concept of a channeling level. By using a channeling spell and some lower tier spells you can acquire additional channeling levels. Some higher tier spells will require and consume the channel level. With higher channel levels some spells will even be altered to gain additional effects. Such as casting a projectile spell with a high channel level would cause it to be slightly homing or possibly explode on impact dealing aoe damage. Changing what you're channeling always resets the level to 1. I like the idea of this because I can see it causing a nice ebb and flow of using magic in combat along with posing some potentially interesting strategizing on spell use. With that being said I am a little weary of the additional complexity that comes with it.

As you can see, this new system is much more scalable and will allow us to add new forms in with only requiring a single toolbar slot. We currently have 5 channel spells and 8~ forms planned which is 40 different possible spells but only takes up 13 toolbar slots if you wanted all of them. With the addition of a secondary toolbar players will now be able to fully focus on being a mage. Yay! I'll post some gifs once we get more visuals in.

Oh hey Jasson! This is looking really sweet. When i get the time I'm going to go back and read through all this log.

(i met you at GDC through lex and terrance)
~Murry

Hey Murry, yup I of course remember you. Although, I will admit I wouldn't have recognized you through your avatar Wink

jmcmorris
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #134 on: August 05, 2014, 12:54:21 PM »

After a slight lull in development spent visiting friends and wedding anniversary, we're back on track and working on finishing up this update. We finished getting all of the character wireframe animations in and will soon be working on replacing them all with actual character art. Here's what the character wireframes look like.

Lots of new stuff including attack combos that I'm especially excited about. I'll show off more of the animations once we have the final art.

One interesting thing I worked on recently is refining monster spawning. Throughout Crea's development I've slowly been learning what makes for good monster spawning. Monsters spawn offscreen because it is weird to have them appear out of nowhere. Keeping monsters around can be expensive though so we need to keep the number of active monsters low. This means we constantly need to be despawning faraway monsters and respawning them nearby the player. This is much more challenging than it sounds.

While players are on the move this means any monsters spawned behind the player will never be seen and make the world seem much more sparse. To combat this the game now tracks the player's movement over time and will more often spawn monsters in the direction the player is heading.

Another challenge occurs with spawning monsters underground. It is all too easy to spawn monsters offscreen in a cave/hole that is completely disconnected from the player. This means the player can rarely see monsters which makes underground much less exciting. To remedy this spawning underground is now usually done by using a flood fill to a valid spawn location that is connected to the player. Having monsters spawn in far off holes disconnected from the player is not all bad since many monsters underground have light sources and can help pull the player to interesting areas. So they still will spawn like this occasionally. Monsters will also slowly gravitate towards players now - to keep them company of course.

Savick
« Reply #135 on: August 05, 2014, 01:06:22 PM »

How will this compare to Starbound and Terraria? (I haven't read the whole thread, just wondering >_>)
jmcmorris
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #136 on: August 05, 2014, 01:24:07 PM »

How will this compare to Starbound and Terraria? (I haven't read the whole thread, just wondering >_>)
Haha, as you'd expect, this is a common question and we have an answer on our Steam Community Hub. Here's a description of Crea that points out some of the differences. Smiley

Crea takes the Terraria-like genre, and takes it in a different direction, namely a fantasy RPG. Rather than just having gear based progression, Crea has your character leveling up, spending skill points, wielding magic, etc. You level skills such as tool speed, attack boost, defense boost, tool reach, and more. The crafting system takes its own direction as well, using research to learn new recipes. This is done by consuming small amounts of materials you find in the world, which are then revealed as ingredients to recipes. Of all of it’s genre-mates, Crea’s personality is the most laid back and whimsical, but don’t let that fool you, there are plenty of bad guys to kill. Cute ones! Combat can be done through magic spells, ranged, or melee. Under the conflict system, monsters will spread throughout the world, growing in strength and numbers if left alone.

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #137 on: August 05, 2014, 03:09:09 PM »

Interesting notes about spawning! I might have to do something similar :D

jmcmorris
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #138 on: August 15, 2014, 09:42:27 AM »

Interesting notes about spawning! I might have to do something similar :D
Feel free to hit me up if you want any more details.

The last few days I've begun working on Steam features. I implemented Steam Cloud, which was fairly straightforward. Next I worked on the "join game" feature which was actually challenging since there are several possible flows. Such as the player can already have the game open or not also the player could be anywhere in the game - main menu or in the middle of a session. All of these possibilities had to be handled nicely such as saving and exiting and then automatically connecting once back on the main menu. It took about a full day of work.

I also implemented one of the features I'm most proud. Modders can now magically replace core game logic without having to modify any of the core game files. Much of the game logic is written in Python and fully exposed to modders; however, editing these files directly is not very mod friendly and would make mod maintenance (enable/disable/delete) very tricky. The solution I came up with is super awesome. Any files in your mods "coremod" directory will automatically be imported when the corresponding core file is being imported and anything tagged to overload the core will do so. This is achieved by changing Python's import logic to change the imported module before it is even returned. Here's a quick example of what it looks like:

mymod/coremod/combat.py
Code:
from coremod import overload

@overload
def calculateDamage(strength, defense, attackerLevel, target, power, attackType):
    return 100

This will replace the core/combat.py:calculateDamage so every attack will deal 100 damage. There is more to this such as being able to preload or postload a function that will enable you to have your code called before or after a core function is called. Also it is possible to replace entire classes or global variables in modules.

Now with this feature done I am now moving onto adding Steam Workshop support in and already have a good start!

jmcmorris
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #139 on: September 09, 2014, 07:12:16 PM »

This last month has been quite intense! I semi-seriously injured from a bicycle crash, went to PAX Dev and PAX Prime, and then a friend came to visit for the last week. Despite all of this I've gotten some awesome work done on Crea.

This current update has grown to be just too big and I finally made the decision to push many features back that are mostly 90% done including: Steam Workshop support, the next boss, new spells and a UI rework. One of the huge features that is going into this update is the new combat system I've been talking about in my last few posts.

Here's what the new combat is looking like.

We're putting some final touches on shields and then I'll show those off!

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic