Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 02:27:04 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)A Question on C#
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: A Question on C#  (Read 14390 times)
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2007, 02:43:19 AM »

The games on puppygames.com use Java exclusive, and are pretty neat.

Matthew
Rapture
Administrator
Level 3

Milling About

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2007, 10:08:45 AM »

Unity is worth looking into.  It uses Mono, and you have your choice of scripting in C#, JavaScript, or Boo (a Python variant).  The IDE is Mac-only, but it can publish to Windows:

http://unity3d.com/

Matthew Wegner
Currently: Aztez
Founder, Flashbang Studios
Partner, Indie Fund
Editor, Fun-Motion
Co-Chair, IGF
Outer God
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2007, 04:53:00 PM »

i don't have a mac Sad  my experiences of using one have never been good.
skaldicpoet9
Level 10

"The length of my life was fated long ago "

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2007, 03:46:41 AM »

This is a great game made with C# and the XNA framework....it is called "Super Mario War" and is basically a old-shcool style version of Smash Bros.(oh and by the way it is free and kicks tons of ass!!) here is the link: http://smw.72dpiarmy.com/ check it out!

\\\\\\\"Fearlessness is better than a faint heart for any man who puts his nose out of doors. The date of my death and length of my life were fated long ago.\\\\\\\"
ravuya
Level 7

Yip yip yip yip yip

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2007, 06:45:50 AM »

This is a great game made with C# and the XNA framework....it is called "Super Mario War" and is basically a old-shcool style version of Smash Bros.(oh and by the way it is free and kicks tons of ass!!) here is the link: http://smw.72dpiarmy.com/ check it out!
You sure? The last time I checked, it was written in C++ and SDL.

skaldicpoet9
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2007, 07:16:32 AM »

You sure? The last time I checked, it was written in C++ and SDL.

Oh, damn, you are right, sorry....I actually got that info from Games for Windows magazine..in the magazine it says,"If your wondering what the big deal with indie-enabling XNA Game Studio Express, here's what: Super Mario War(http://72dpiarmy.com)is a bit of Super Smash Bros.-ish freeware that you can play  on your PC-or soon on the Xbox360." Man I am retarded, ugh, I didn't even look at the website,duh, it says on the website that they used C++ and SDL...what the hell! So does that mean that you can use C++ with the XNA Framework?(I just assumed that you had to use C#...I have it on my computer and when I downloaded it the program required me to download C# Express too) Or is Games for Windows Magazine talking out of their asses?(No wonder I subscribe to PCGamer Smiley)
« Last Edit: June 24, 2007, 07:18:43 AM by skaldicpoet9 » Logged

\\\\\\\"Fearlessness is better than a faint heart for any man who puts his nose out of doors. The date of my death and length of my life were fated long ago.\\\\\\\"
ravuya
Level 7

Yip yip yip yip yip

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2007, 08:22:52 AM »

I don't think you can use Managed C++ with XNA, though I wouldn't be surprised if someone figured it out.

There may well be an XNA port upcoming, but the page itself says it's C++ and SDL.

skaldicpoet9
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2007, 09:05:40 AM »

I don't think you can use Managed C++ with XNA, though I wouldn't be surprised if someone figured it out.

There may well be an XNA port upcoming, but the page itself says it's C++ and SDL.

Yeah I don't know what they were talking about....I was saying to my girlfriend that maybe it's because GFW is run by Microsoft technically and they were trying to plug XNA using Super Mario War...or maybe they are just idiots lol...I don't know....but one thing is for sure they don't say anything about XNA or C# on their page...well at least GFW let me know about the game...I love it...been kicking my girlfriend's ass at it for about 2 weeks now :D

Bad Sector
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2007, 10:07:57 AM »

java?  i thought that was only for mobile phone games and small applications.  are there any fairly large games that have been made using java?

Tribal Trouble is made in Java.

ah, XNA.  that uses C#, right?  from wat i've heard, it does sound promising, but has anyone really used it for making games?

XNA is just a game engine with an overhyped name. Yes, you can make a game with XNA, but there are better engines out there (check DevMaster's 3D Engines database). I tried a little, not really a bad engine, but it really needs to be improved.

~bs~
Oaf
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2007, 12:30:55 AM »

Just download the XNA stuff (Visual C# 2005 and GameStudio Express) and get on with it. You can waste many, many months evaluating different games engines, graphics engines, physics engines before you even touch a line of code.

Torque is a good all-round solution, but I felt the engine is a bit clunky and you're tied to someone else's product.

If you want to target PCs and Macs (and I suppose Linux too), then Java will let you do that. But then you'll also need to work with LWJGL (Puppygames' Java OpenGL wrapper) or some other 3D library (Java3D, JME or Xith - they all have their foibles; I chose JME).

But to be honest the easiest, most straight-forward, pain free way to start tinkering with making games is to use XNA. There's a growing community around it, it's well documented (a huge plus!), and you'll have things going in a very short time.

Plus you'll have C# experience, which is starting to become useful in the games biz (either for games programming or for tools using .Net), or if the games biz rips you off and spits you out you'll have experience in a language that's in high demand in the business software world.

Outer God
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2007, 04:40:34 PM »

super mario war...i gotta check that out, thanks for the heads up Smiley  oh, and tribal trouble looks pretty sweet too...looks familiar though.  that's a good point Oaf, though atm i'm focusing on my art and am just skimming through my options with programming.  it's either C++ and openGL or C# and XNA, though thanks go out to everyone's recommendations.  my head feels lighter all of a sudden.
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic