Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411526 Posts in 69381 Topics- by 58437 Members - Latest Member: GlitchyPSI

May 02, 2024, 01:28:59 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsProcedural GenerationThe Blood Red Square
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: The Blood Red Square  (Read 7884 times)
dustin
Level 6

View Profile
« on: August 18, 2008, 08:57:04 AM »

Ok so I had an entry into the procedural competition which I finished (pretty much) before the deadline but unfortunately when it was done and I played it I realized it just wasn't much fun at all...

Since then I have started learning flash.  In thinking about what to do I wanted to I still wanted to finish a procedural game and post it, so here it is.  Note this is only the second game I have ever made in flash so constructive comments would be nice but I know it's simple and all.

http://www.kongregate.com/games/nitsud/the-blood-red-square

if anyone wants to see the first one it's here...

http://www.kongregate.com/games/nitsud/bagels-and-taxis
Dugan
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2008, 10:13:48 AM »

heya - fun game, I like how the player speeds up through the levels to make things more tricky.

2 things i think would help make the game feel more solid are...

1. to start your player somewhere more central on the screen if possible (currently you start top left on a new game/after death), because its a bit hard to see hidden up in that corner AND you get instant death from 50% of your control options (up/left=die).

2. Its not super obvious that the walls kill you, a cheap solution might be to run a green line around the outside of the play area - that way you have a clear language that green is bad to touch (as you already know from the rules that green blocks are to be avoided.

hope thats some help.

MekanikDestructiwKommando
Level 3

Let's ROCK!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2008, 05:38:54 PM »

I got into first place with 71, tied with the second place Smiley
Cool game! If you ever make a sequel, I suggest the green blocks move back and forth Smiley
Nice work, good game  Cool

There have always been interactive experiences that go beyond entertainment.  For example, if mafia games are too fun for you, then you can always join the mafia.
Jesseyay
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2008, 12:20:51 AM »

Nice!

Challenging little game you made there.
dustin
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2008, 09:38:52 AM »

1. to start your player somewhere more central on the screen if possible (currently you start top left on a new game/after death), because its a bit hard to see hidden up in that corner AND you get instant death from 50% of your control options (up/left=die).

yeah I see what you mean there in the next version I won't do that. 

2. Its not super obvious that the walls kill you, a cheap solution might be to run a green line around the outside of the play area - that way you have a clear language that green is bad to touch (as you already know from the rules that green blocks are to be avoided.

oh ok I didn't realise that.  I mean it's obvious to me because I programmed it but I can see why it wouldn't actually be.  I'll try to add that in next time too.

I got into first place with 71, tied with the second place Smiley
Cool game! If you ever make a sequel, I suggest the green blocks move back and forth Smiley
Nice work, good game  Cool

thanks!  I do plan on making a sequel and moving blocks is one of the things I plan on doing.  I already have that code working actually Smiley

Nice!

Challenging little game you made there.

Thanks!  yeah for some reason for arcade style games like that I hate it when they have a slow build up.  I don't know I guess i just get bored fast...
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic