Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411431 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 20, 2024, 03:39:00 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsHiddenThe DromeValley of the DeadUnpaid Workartist looking for motivated programmer (art inside)
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: artist looking for motivated programmer (art inside)  (Read 5856 times)
st0ven
Level 0

View Profile
« on: May 21, 2012, 07:04:48 PM »

What the hell ill take a stab at this again.

Artist here checking around to see if there are any interested parties in co-developing an RPG with me. Before you hang it up, understand that i know what youre thinking.

Recently ive gone through a few concepts and prototypes with another engineer who i highly respect but unfortunately sounds like he may be wrapped up with work work for quite some time. We considered sidescroller/platformer of several themes and mechanics. ive considered some other top down concepts... they wound up looking something like this.

http://spriteart.com/junk2/forest_flat_persp_3C.jpg
http://spriteart.com/junk2/techno_mock2.jpg
http://spriteart.com/junk2/tiles_rock2b.jpg
http://spriteart.com/junk2/worlds_end2.jpg

(these images are a little big to link directly without detracting from the point).

Unfortunately, many of these concepts require either a ton of hardcoding or a very healthy list of tools support to create. We found the time required to make those tools took too long to keep us motivated.

This is where ive settled into an RPG concept. Its something that is feasible to create in both an art and code departments. Music is also very important here but im not worried about wasting a musicians time just yet with no product.

Aside from the workload argument, i largely loathe how most RPG's are put together these days.(admittedly i hardly play anything anymore, so pardon the broad brush)> Theres too great a focus on plot and dialogue and not enough on exploration and intrigue.

So ideally im looking for an engineer/programmer/wizard to team up with me to help bring my strange concepts of what the ideal RPG should be to life. I have no final direction on specific plots or characters or love trysts at this point nor do i care to anytime in the near future, as im really hoping to try to breathe life into the concept with a more organic approach.

My ideal teammate would be, most important of all, a motivated engineer with a decent amount of time on their hands that isnt tied up in 3 other projects simultaneously and really wants to see something through and *gasp* get to MARKET. This is not intended to be a learning project. RPG's shouldnt require advanced tool support, but if you enjoy that sort of thing that could certainly be useful! Im much better suited to work with someone who enjoys putting in polish where necessary to make things nice! so if you like to just get stuff done and over with, i might not be a good fit for you.

If youre wondering at all what the prospective RPG might look like, im in the middle of creating a mockup for it. Its not finished yet so dont judge it too harshly for being so sparse. Ill be more than happy to explain to you my approach to creating assets for this game if youre quite interested in working with me.

without further adding to a wall of text, heres an image.

please either respond or PM me if youre interested and we can find out ways to chat otherwise from there.

thanks for reading! i know reading is such a torturous inconvenience these days Smiley
DanFessler
Pixelhead
Level 3

aka Indigo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2012, 08:16:33 PM »

Talented engineers, don't pass this guy up!  This is one of the best artists I know.  Worked with him at Glu Mobile - great dude.  He was one of the guys I looked up to when I started to learn how to pixel.

metaldemon
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2012, 07:20:32 AM »

I sent you an email. Smiley
Inhuman Entertainment
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2012, 06:15:03 PM »

Awesome work!!  Sent you a PM.
bjadams
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2012, 01:13:48 PM »

Love the GREAT artwork.
Would love to do some casual mobile game project in that style one day.

If you're ever interested in doing some small game project for mobiles, get in touch!

iOS & Android developer
agersant
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2012, 01:17:40 PM »

I've known your art for a good while and if I didn't already have an ongoing project I would kill people to work with you  Tongue
Have fun Smiley
syn9
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2012, 01:56:56 PM »

Holy shit it's st0ven... If I recall correctly, I've been following your work since Pixelation was on swoo.net... I just finished getting an old school RPG to market myself (Manor of the Damned). Unfortunately I fall into that 'working on 3 other projects' problem right now or else I'd be all over this...

Best of luck! If I come into free time and can help, I'll definitely come 'a knockin.
MoritzPGKatz
Level 3

"Was he an animal, that music could move him so?"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2012, 02:05:12 PM »

Looks great, I'd love to see more games like this!

Good luck finding someone!

Arcadian Atlas now on Steam!
>120 minute jazz OST on my Bandcamp
Vinyl pre-orders available
Head of Music at German Wahnsinn Studios
phyzix5761
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2012, 10:53:34 AM »

Sent you an email. Would definitely love to work with you.
Eponasoft
Level 0

PC Engine Developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2012, 04:44:44 PM »

I am actually in the market at the moment for a talented pixel artist for a top-down RPG. Fortunately, I only have 2 other projects right now. Smiley (Both of my existing productions are slow-moving right now since the other team members are on hiatus.) I am developing a traditional RPG for the Xbox 360. syn9 can vouch for my ability as a game designer and coder, and I am always open to new concepts and design ideas that make the game blossom into something awesome (hey, that almost rhymed). At present, I am relying on TheInquisitor's RMXP tilesets and character sprites by Sithjester and Akana Yukinai... they all mesh well, but having unique pixels is always preferable.

Eponasoft develops commercial PC Engine games.
NostalgicAlgorithms
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2012, 06:02:24 PM »

Nice art, very clean and styled but it lacks that pixely charm.  Wink
st0ven
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2012, 05:24:38 AM »

thanks all who have inquired so far. I suppose it might help if i do narrow down prospective platforms a bit as well as i dont think ive mentioned that previously. I have gotten some propositions to develop this concept from anywhere to mobile to web browser. Currently im favoring simply developing for PC at the moment. Other platforms sound interesting to work with, but not for me right now i dont think.

Eponasoft: Aww damn, does it HAVE to be pixel art? i cant convince you of the wonderous world of possibilities of HD art? seriously, ive entertained the pixel art thing, and it doesnt feel like i can add a whole lot to what is already out there with pixels in a traditional RPG sense. i would hope that as i am able to develop more conceptual work for this RPG idea, i am able to show that to some folks. perhaps it can have a very similar charm that pixels do.

Agersant: thanks, and sorry to hear that you are currently otherwise occupied Sad

Also, Dan: thanks for the rep Wink
Eponasoft
Level 0

PC Engine Developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2012, 05:37:39 AM »

Doesn't specifically have to be pixel-by-pixel crafted art. In fact, I presented the idea of porting one of our existing games to the Xbox 360, and one of the artists whipped up some HD work really quick... it looked REALLY slick. So yes, I'm open to all possibilities.

Original (PC Engine) | HD remake

My main focus right now is in XNA, and I am going to make a serious run in the XBLA. However, it would be easy to have most any game available for both, especially since I start out the project as a Windows game, and then convert it to an Xbox 360 game once it's ready... XNA Game Studio makes the process a breeze.

ANtY
Level 10

i accidentally did that on purpose

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2012, 07:27:49 AM »

Doesn't specifically have to be pixel-by-pixel crafted art. In fact, I presented the idea of porting one of our existing games to the Xbox 360, and one of the artists whipped up some HD work really quick... it looked REALLY slick. So yes, I'm open to all possibilities.

Original (PC Engine) | HD remakebreeze.
HD version looks worse Sad

But anyway st0ven's HD graphics are amazing and don't force him to make the game with pixel art pls, there's a lot of this already on in the world. We need more indie games with HD graphics!  Wink

DanFessler
Pixelhead
Level 3

aka Indigo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2012, 12:41:51 PM »

Ironically he's one of the best pixel artists there is these days Wink

Eponasoft
Level 0

PC Engine Developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2012, 12:43:31 PM »

HD version looks worse Sad
Probably because Justin whipped it up in a hurry... with some more time on it, it'd look nicer. I thought it looked pretty good for a rush-job, quite frankly.

But anyway st0ven's HD graphics are amazing and don't force him to make the game with pixel art pls, there's a lot of this already on in the world. We need more indie games with HD graphics!  Wink
I'm definitely game for HD graphics. I still see it as pixel art though... I guess the difference is all semantics. 2D = pixel art, 3D = not pixel art. I'm not a purist or an absolutist. Smiley

ink.inc
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2012, 01:40:51 PM »

the best pixel art
NostalgicAlgorithms
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2012, 08:04:56 PM »

Vector art I would never consider pixel art. Still great art but its not like those tasty pixels. The work above is undeniably quality stuff and skillful. It's hard to explain but have you ever played a game that had high quality art but it was uninspiring or not that appealing? In a sense just plain ugly... (I need to dig up a good example.)

I guess the problem with stylized art like this for me is that it makes everything look too clean and paper flat. Especially with the thick black outlines. In the early days of pixel art outlining your character in black pixels was a bad idea on anything above the capability of the NES.
st0ven
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2012, 05:28:37 AM »

Thanks to all who have emailed and responded to this thread, its been very successful, i got to talk to a lot of great people who are doing a wide variety of projects and study. I really appreciate all the support of those who have shown interest.

I think i have found a partner to go forward with on this rpg concept. We seem to think alike, have similar goals, and it feels like a natural fit.

I would like to continue posting updates somewhere, but im not really sure what the best avenue is to do this. hopefully it will find some viewers that are interested in seeing how it goes.

I sketched up another quick mockup for another aspect of the game i want to explore i thought id at least share in this thread for now though Smiley

Miguelito
Level 4

makes graphics

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2012, 09:07:07 AM »

Amazing!!

Heartfelt congratulations to your newfound programmer. Smiley

(← new art twitter)
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic