Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411468 Posts in 69368 Topics- by 58422 Members - Latest Member: daffodil_dev

April 23, 2024, 12:30:26 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessGame Journalism Style Guide 'eh?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Game Journalism Style Guide 'eh?  (Read 5854 times)
PoV
Level 5

Click on the eye and something might happen..maybe

View Profile WWW
« on: May 31, 2007, 01:43:37 PM »

Derek, Graham, Russell.  Apparently we're all so very bad at this game journalism thang, that a team got together a wrote a book to tell us what we're all doing wrong.   Wink

http://www.gamestyleguide.com/

Actually to be honest, it's not a bad read thus far.  Thoughts?

Mike Kasprzak | Sykhronics Entertainment - Smiles (HD), PuffBOMB, towlr, Ludum Dare - Blog
DrDerekDoctors
THE ARSEHAMMER
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2007, 01:50:41 AM »

I am perfect at reviewing and will hear none of this nonsense! Wink

Me, David Williamson and Mark Foster do an Indie Games podcast. Give it a listen. And then I'll send you an apology.
http://pigignorant.com/
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2007, 03:34:00 AM »

In Soviet Russia, games review YOU!!

Guert
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2007, 08:29:55 AM »

I like the idea of a guide for journalism. I read the introduction and it looks very interesting.
I'm actually thinking of purchasing this. It's always good to know how to write about your favorite topics. 

Thanks for the link!

Anthony Flack
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2007, 04:43:04 PM »

I guess that a style guide is a useful thing to have made, but if you really want to raise the quality of games journalism in general, I think the important things to address are:

Know your history
Play the games properly
Show some personality
Talk about your honest reaction to the game - did you REALLY enjoy it?
Put a few jokes in there
Don't be a shill for your advertisers

If you do all of that, then you can write xBO-x for all I care.

Currently in development: Cletus Clay
Robotacon
Pixelhead
Level 3

Story mode

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2007, 02:02:22 AM »

It might be a good read but I'm a little confused about what people think is game journalism.

Reviewing games is one thing ie expressing your own opinion and that shouldn't be a journalists first obligation. I wish there were more real game journalist that were reporting on actual game reated news.

Game reviews are best written by actual gamers that know how to write well and that don't exaggerate what they are feeling about a game.

If you want to be a great journalist learn something about journalism in general.

I used to work for www.goodgame.se that had two great journalists on the staff and a bunch of testgroups of various ages that did the actual testing. The journalists were in charge of helping the test groups write the reviews but did not try and change their view of a game. I think that's how they still operate even though they're now going into e-sports.
PoV
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2007, 02:31:05 AM »

Anthony and robotacon, you basically summarized what book says.  Smiley

The book also seems to be mostly a glossary of terms and history defined exactly they should be, with a few better writing articles mixed in.

Mike Kasprzak | Sykhronics Entertainment - Smiles (HD), PuffBOMB, towlr, Ludum Dare - Blog
DrDerekDoctors
THE ARSEHAMMER
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2007, 02:42:22 AM »

I guess that a style guide is a useful thing to have made, but if you really want to raise the quality of games journalism in general, I think the important things to address are:

Know your history
Play the games properly
Show some personality
Talk about your honest reaction to the game - did you REALLY enjoy it?
Put a few jokes in there
Don't be a shill for your advertisers

If you do all of that, then you can write xBO-x for all I care.

Shit, it was all going so well until that last point...

Me, David Williamson and Mark Foster do an Indie Games podcast. Give it a listen. And then I'll send you an apology.
http://pigignorant.com/
Ryan
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2007, 10:36:49 PM »

I wanna read this book but all I can concentrate on is Scott Steinberg's head.
Musenik
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2007, 12:01:34 AM »

The issue that worries me is, there are so many types of games, and so many types of game players, how does a journalist convince a reader to respect his observations?

The same can be said for movies. I shopped around until I found reviewers who seemed to mimic my tastes. I'm not sure how to do that with game reviewers. They aren't the 'personalities' movie reviewers are. Rotten Tomatoes aggregates movie reviews by author. They aggregate game reviews by publication, like every other game review aggregator.

In general, game reviewers tend to be young, and tend to enjoy more action in their games, and they like challenging games because they're powerful gamers. I'm older and have abandoned most action games. Some of that has changed with the Wii. But I digress.

Today, when I read game reviews, I feel like a stranger in an industry I've worked in for nearly twenty years.

PoV
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2007, 09:40:49 AM »

If reviews are considered important in picking and choosing game process, I'm convinced the best "reviews" aren't reviews at all.  It's a well constructed gameplay trailer.  From that I should be able to understand the core gameplay, and find merits to peak my interest.

Like most developers, I'm not a normal gamer.  I've learned that I really can't trust a "gamer's" opinion.  I cat take hints, games to check out, but digging through somebody else's analysis is a waste of my time.  Gimme a minute long video, and we can go from there.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic