Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411522 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 10:07:38 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhalliotaBuildIt
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: iotaBuildIt  (Read 487 times)
bluemonkmn
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: May 24, 2012, 03:41:00 PM »

Blink Blink

iotaBuildIt is an experimental project in crowd-sourced 2-D game development. It's not intended to be flashy or polished, at least not yet. The idea is to get many people involved and answer the question: can all of us make a better game than some of us? Participants are encouraged to contribute enahncements small and large to any aspect of the game (and to web site and process itself for that matter) using software that allows newcomers (non-coders) and seasoned developers all to contribute various kinds of improvements ranging from graphics to AI behaviors to level design, and more. Traditional games usually limit how much you can change and customize, but I want to see what happens when everybody can change everything. One key point of interest is that the game is hosted in a browser so it can likely be played on any platform with a keyboard. I could go on in great detail, but I think the video and web site explain it best.

Take a look at these links for more:

2. Quick Links
3. Homepage (wiki)

Screenshots

Game

Editing
Maud'Dib Atreides
Level 4

Obsessed with space

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2012, 06:39:36 AM »

So there's an HTML5 game that allows people to edit the game online? Graphics, sound, maps, even the core engine? Whoa, this is big!

Guy: Give me all of your money.
Chap: You can't talk to me that way, I'M BRITISH!
Guy: Well, You can't talk to me that way, I'm brutish.
Chap: Somebody help me, I'm about to lose 300 pounds!
Guy: Why's that a bad thing?
Chap: I'M BRITISH.
bluemonkmn
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2012, 06:44:21 AM »

Indeed there is. The editing environment is currently Windows only, but the run-time environment is HTML5. Depending on which direction this project takes, I may be compelled to support an online editor, or I may be compelled to advance the project in other areas. But I think this is a pretty strong starting point as far as editing capabilities go. I hope people can see past the simple graphics to the power that exists behind the ability to edit this game and play it anywhere and share with anyone.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic