Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 11:46:26 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessWhy people use eCommerce instead of direct PayPal?
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Why people use eCommerce instead of direct PayPal?  (Read 11598 times)
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2012, 03:28:51 PM »

affiliate sales are important for every genre. many indies make most of their sales through affiliate networks. you could even say affiliation was one of the basis of the indie game shareware revolution in the late 90s / early 00s

here's an example. from what i gather, the owner of the servers tigsource is hosted on, flashbang studios, got their start by making a casual affiliate portal-site

most of the legendary developers from that era used affiliates pretty heavily: amaranthia, positech, hanako games, etc. -- go to their sites, you'll see their games and their affiliate games, often mixed together

i never achieved any *great* success with affiliate networks, but i've had some. i've made a few hundred dollars sending out a single email about a single game once. basically what you do is you find a game that is on an affiliate network that you personally love, and think your audience would love. then you ask them to try it out. if some of them buy the game, you get like 30% of the sales. and this goes in reverse, sometimes people recommend your game to others and you give them 30% of the sales.

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2012, 07:31:12 PM »

you just proved my point that there are only two real "niches" where affiliate sales are important: casual/HO (with a lot of BFG affiliate sellers) and VN/jrpg (with papillon and hanako).
I can't think of any other genre where you'll find a lot of affiliate resellers to help you sell your game

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2012, 09:05:24 PM »

it's also important in "adventure" games -- the dave gilbert style point and click graphical adventures

and yeah there are genres where it's more seen and genres where it's less seen, but that has to do with the organization and tight-knit-ness of developers in those niches more than anything

Chris Koźmik
Level 5

Silver Lemur Games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2012, 11:33:56 PM »

Can you write something about direct sales (via eCommerce) and portal sales relationship? I mean, if you use portals a lot of these benefits of eCommerces become void (like no database of users who bought it, no emails to them, and generally everything is inconsistent with your eCommerce system, plus ANtY said in Desura topic that they ignore VAT so the whole advantage of them handling the taxes becomes void)...
In short, does eCommerce makes sense only if you don't use portals?

What you thing about that one: http://www.digitaldeliveryapp.com/ (EJunkie alternative, in short you pay flat $9/month and the rest is just PayPal fees, you get a lot of bonuses you described but basicly without costs)?

Stellar Monarch 2 (dev log, IN DEVELOPMENT)
Stellar Monarch (dev log, released)
TeeGee
Level 10

Huh?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2012, 11:50:56 PM »

Selling directly is a completely separate part of business from selling through portals. By selling directly, you keep most of the profits, get customers names and emails, generally build a fanbase and passive income. Selling through a portal means forgoing all that, but putting the game in front of many more gamers and earning some good money (not through the likes of Desura though).

Typically you want to do both, maybe keep the game direct-only for some time to maximize profits. You sign a separate agreement with each portal, and yeah, it gets annoying to manage income from all the sources.

Tom Grochowiak
MoaCube | Twitter | Facebook
mihai
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2012, 03:09:07 PM »

I realize this topic is old but still I want to contribute with some information:

If you publish through Indievania, they get to host the files and deliver them, same with updates, and so on, but you are in charge with game's page information, change log, pricing, promotions and so on.

The selling part goes like this: when someone clicks buy, the payment goes through paypal and you get to keep all the money as a developer because they money goes directly from the buyer to your account. The buyer has the option of paying extra money for your game which will be considered a donation and split between you and the Indievania team.

I consider this some kind of hybrid solution between PayPal direct selling and full store distribution (like Desura).

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic