Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 04:35:15 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsOperation Smash (2D Metroidvania) is back in development.
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Operation Smash (2D Metroidvania) is back in development.  (Read 12237 times)
mrj1nx
Level 0

View Profile
« on: May 26, 2012, 08:22:54 AM »

Yo! The game is back in development after much consideration back and forth... about the viability of platformers/metroidvanias on steam, etc... But I figured I should release it after some fans kept bugging me about it. Anyhow, there was a couple of problems that poked out, I kinda rushed the release, now Im "remastering" the game before releaseing on steam... (It's greenlighted)

The old Release Trailer:

« Last Edit: December 02, 2015, 12:59:19 PM by djdolber » Logged
melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2012, 08:47:45 AM »

So this is pretty neat. Got any enemies/bosses yet?

play hydlide 2
ShinnyMetal
Level 0

I can makes musics!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2012, 09:22:12 AM »

Metrovania sounds awesome always! It looks promising! I really like the character design too! imma keep my eye on dis one yo!

On and scale from Metroid to Megaman what is the mood of the game?
« Last Edit: May 26, 2012, 09:27:30 AM by ShinnyMetal » Logged

Ouren
Enjoyed Some Pizza!
Level 7

Poppy Works

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2012, 02:41:47 PM »

gogo!

mrj1nx
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2012, 11:24:33 PM »

Metrovania sounds awesome always! It looks promising! I really like the character design too! imma keep my eye on dis one yo!

On and scale from Metroid to Megaman what is the mood of the game?

Nice! I think the mood will be about 50-50, on the one hand i love the mysterious vibe in metroid, but im going to try and create more of a feel good vibe, akin to megaman. sonic etc. So that each area is a reward in itself to find with new colors and sound. but the music tempo wont be as high as those games but a little more chill, grooves that you just roll with so to speak.

Today i am continuing to work on game mechanics. it looks like some puzzle mechanics are next on my list.
mrj1nx
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2012, 01:09:05 AM »

Heres is a screen series showing a combination of single destructible tiles and bigger destructible chunks:

baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2012, 10:20:06 PM »

Very niiiice! Certainly keeping my eyes peeled on this one.

mrj1nx
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2012, 10:40:21 PM »

Some of the game mechanics i have been adding recently, fetch the battery, flowers that swallow you and then spit you out in a certain direction, and the hammer bouncer, smash the button to be launched. I am just now starting with the enemies, i have two added, and im trying to do an approach with no level markup such as waypoints or navigation nodes for ai, instead im using an approach i read in a paper yesterday, basically you sense when a ledge is infront and then you can sense how far the ledge goes etc to make a choice about what to do.

kamac
Level 10

Notoriously edits his posts

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2012, 08:20:09 AM »

Maybe I am weird, but the water should actually stop before the ground  No No NO

Like that:

Pixel 11
 SMB Brick

rivon
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2012, 08:45:42 AM »

You know, the water may continue below the "ground."
mrj1nx
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2012, 10:07:17 AM »

I actually have support for both ways, water stops before ground, or water overlaps stuff, but i think im going to go with the overlapping water only..

Besides, cant really argue with Super Metroid hehehe...
sergiocornaga
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2012, 07:07:58 AM »

I've gotta ask what the bottom right game on your inspiration wall is, it's the only one I couldn't identify within a few seconds!
mrj1nx
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2012, 03:03:17 AM »

I've gotta ask what the bottom right game on your inspiration wall is, it's the only one I couldn't identify within a few seconds!

Well, thats Ufouria on the Nes, a great Metrovania. I plan to be getting a king sized Super Metroid poster next to the Metroid one shortly.. Btw, someone should make a screenshot-map for Lyle in Cube Sector, a really good indie Metrovania.
mrj1nx
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2012, 03:11:28 AM »

I really need to name this game soon, but i have zero name ideas... If you feel like giving some ideas, shoot Smiley If i pick yours ill add you to the special thanks in the credits. It will most likely be a series so it should go well with adding a number next to it, also im thinking of having "Super" in front of it, kind of to imply that it could have been a SNES game, or that it is that kind of a game.
mrj1nx
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2012, 10:10:15 PM »

Last week i have been focusing on wrapping up all the leftover features that is required to complete the game.

Menu with 3 saveslots:

Save points:

Map screen:

Speedrun mode:

The final savepoint:

Leading to:

I will touch up the visuals of the menus etc as soon as i begin with the graphics part of the project wich should be within the next few weeks.
ScaryPotato
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2012, 07:10:04 AM »

This is looking really nice so far! The graphics are perfect for the Mega Man/Metroid mix you're aiming for, and will be interesting to see how the game develops ('specially since I'm a huge Metroid fan as well).  Grin

What's the story behind the character?

mrj1nx
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2012, 08:25:22 AM »

This is looking really nice so far! The graphics are perfect for the Mega Man/Metroid mix you're aiming for, and will be interesting to see how the game develops ('specially since I'm a huge Metroid fan as well).  Grin

What's the story behind the character?

Hey thanx Smiley (your game looks really good btw) I dunno about the story yet, im thinking its a kid who built a time machine in the basement and it actually worked, or its a space dude thats stranded because his ship is out of fuel, or some other story, and then he needs to get back home again..  I will probably touch up the design a bit later because the helmet is to similar to mega man.

I am aiming to be pretty much feature complete in the next few weeks, then im going to spend around 2 months doing graphics+polish, and the finally, 2 months of level design, building up the game world.
mrj1nx
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2012, 11:49:29 AM »

Ive been working on putting together a small gameworld for an alpha test version, this is some screenshots from that process.. Smiley So, i will soon be able to share a test version, i havent decieded if i should just post the files here or how i should handle it. Its really nice to be able to try out some gameplay, i think the jumping and fighting part feels nice, its fun, and i have a little cool feature that makes combat pretty cool, basically you smack grenades at your enemies like in baseball, works pretty good and feels nice sincey often 1-shot enemies.

ScaryPotato
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2012, 04:15:59 PM »

I always love seeing little maps of levels from games, so it's neat to see your test areas! The green lattice pattern in the third shot had me thinking that you're constructing everything as 3d models for a while, but realize now it's the collision borders for the player...something thing I noticed with the character itself is his pose seems a little stiff. Mostly it's the fact that his arms are straight down by his side instead of bent a little (or something), but also the center of balance seems off, like he is tipping backwards.

That's about it though. When you get a playable version, by all means post a link here, and anywhere else you can think of. The more feedback you get, the better off you'll be for it! Smiley

Vince_Lawrence
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2012, 04:51:09 PM »

BOOKMARKED! The graphics is sure tasty!  Evil
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic