Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 07:10:29 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsOperation Smash (2D Metroidvania) is back in development.
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Operation Smash (2D Metroidvania) is back in development.  (Read 12230 times)
mrj1nx
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2012, 11:29:00 PM »

Images from my test worldmap:

Since these images was taken in the unity editor, some things are not visible, such as enemies, fluids, etc. As you probably noticed, the positions of entrances does not match from one room to the next, and that is something i plan on fixing for the real map, i just need to figure out what is the best way to make that easy. I will probably implement a helper grid that i can use as reference, and to know what in-game map tile is where in the level.

One issue I’m thinking about is that each map tile represents 32x32 tiles right now, and that actually feels to big so im thinking of bringing it down to 24x24 or finding another number that feels better.

I have run two play tests, one with my brother and one with my girlfriend. Both clocked in at around 40 minutes to complete the test. Running the tests gave me a bunch of info and i made a todo of all the things that i wanted to fix. Most of those are now fixed so another test is due soon. Once the known bugs are fixed i will make a version available for those who wish to test it, hopefully that should occur within a week.
ScaryPotato
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2012, 09:15:43 AM »

I'd love to give this a try if you've got something playable (if it's for the PC)Smiley

mrj1nx
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2012, 08:57:25 PM »

I'd love to give this a try if you've got something playable (if it's for the PC)Smiley

Hey!

Ive been on vacation but now im back. I decieded for now to wait with any remote testing, here are my reasons:
Since i have already had more than 10 people play the complete alpha (takes ~40 minutes to complete) with me watching (irl) i believe there is no major need to also hold a public test for now. Most problems has been fixed and preparing for a public test would drain additional time from the project that i would rather spend on production. The main reason is that having a person playing the game in front of you gives a so much more detailed view of the state of the game than getting written reports which can be hard to follow. My second reason is that i believe its just a bit to unpolished to be shown just yet.

For now im focusing on producing the tilesets for the game, ill be back with more progress reports soon.
mrj1nx
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2012, 01:21:52 AM »

Heres a sneak peak of the tileset im working on right now:

impulse9
« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2012, 03:21:21 AM »

Oh, nice! I really like those terrain tiles!
mrj1nx
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2012, 10:42:48 PM »

Got the first enemy mockup in, im pretty much done with the tilesets now, working on adding all the enemies right now.
mrj1nx
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2012, 07:16:20 AM »

Greetings!

It was a while since i posted here but i have been working non stop with the game. At the moment i am around 70% done with the game world, so im trying to rush to get the last part done. I still have a pass of adding secrets and a decoration pass left before its done. By the end of October i will finally be releasing a trailer, and together with that i will make sure the game is up on greenlight by the time the trailer is out. Then my hope is that some blogs will help spread the word about the trailer. I named the game Operation Smash, and i already registered the domain for that. So i also need to make the site before the trailer is out. Im going with wordpress for that. I was thinking about doing some kind of pre-order thing but i heard that most e-commerce services dont like that, I was thinking i could supply an early version for those who do but im not sure. Since its a singleplayer game i feel like it would potentialy spoil the game for those who play the early version. Especcially since my method means that no area is 100% done yet, i still need to place out secrets etc.. so right now the game feels more linear that what it will be.

Anyways if you got any advice for me regarding the release of my trailer and any preparations i should have made before then (if you feel i might have missed something), that would be much appreciated. Im aiming for around 1:00-1:30 of pure gameplay footage, no intro text etc, just straight on to the gameplay (maybe a fade at most), but there will be some cuts to different clips from different areas and 2 or 3 different songs from the game to give a taste of the kind of quality it contains.
mrj1nx
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2012, 05:08:03 AM »

Trailer is now available here:

Greenlight here: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=104974268&searchtext=

Smiley
crazyheckman
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2012, 05:30:59 PM »

This does look like a lot of fun, on the phone now but ill green light it when I get home.
seancruz
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2012, 07:24:29 PM »

Looks super awesome!

I really enjoy the world and graphics, however I feel like the weapons the character carries seem to lack in awesomeness; specifically those hammers he carries. They seem rather generic. Perhaps some hammers could have more detail or shapes to distinguish them from each other.

Also, have you thought of maybe adding light in the game? I think lighting would really push the mood and atmosphere of the environments.

The only other thing that seems to bother me (if I were playing this) is the player's health. It's a little hard to see in the corner, and the font and font color do not seem to make it apparent. Maybe the number type should be slight bigger.

Otherwise, awesome work man!

ScaryPotato
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 29, 2012, 06:44:57 PM »

It's really nice to see your game in action! I think seancruz made some good suggestions...I think the hammer could use some sci-fi sort of stuff done to it to fit better with the overall theme of the game (stripes or circuitry or something). Also, it looks like the gravity is a little soft. It looks like the player floats down gently rather than falling..just my personal preference though! The different levels look really great, am loving the stage with the vines and blasting-plants!  Smiley

mrj1nx
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 14, 2013, 02:48:46 PM »

Just wanted to say that this game is now done! Released on Desura yesterday: http://www.desura.com/games/operation-smash

Beer! Cheers!

Trailer:

ScaryPotato
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 14, 2013, 03:06:57 PM »

Congrats on finishing this!! It looks outstanding and very polished. I hope that you get some really great exposure with reviews and such for your game; it's pretty clear that you've put some serious time and effort putting it together  Grin

mrj1nx
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 02, 2015, 01:05:25 PM »

I've taken up development again, copy of first post here:

Yo! The game is back in development after much consideration back and forth... about the viability of platformers/metroidvanias on steam, etc... But I figured I should release it after some fans kept bugging me about it. Anyhow, there was a couple of problems that poked out, I kinda rushed the release, now Im "remastering" the game before releaseing on steam... (It's greenlighted)

The old Release Trailer:

I've been polishing, moving around rooms and areas on the map and more, all to make the game more focused and "compact" (reducing fumbling around in pointless pathways and reducing repetition of enemies etc) I would really want to figure out a better name for the game..  I kinda just made the name up at the end.. I've been thinking abit about if I should start a video dev blog on youtube, or maybe just do a written dev blog like last time... dont really know how much work youtube would be, knowing me, I would probably put too much time into that part, trying to make that as good as possible instead of just getting it out there fast.

All in all, I think the biggest problem was that the game was god damn huge! But not enough stuff to fill out all that space.. I was kinda hellbent on making a huge game, and didn't see how it was destroying the game... Anyhow, I've reduced the game a bit, like cut 40% or so, and moved the remaining parts around, now I'm reworking powerup placements etc... Have done paper version of the new map on the wall and are working with postits etc to figure out how I should restructure it, feels a lot less daunting to pick back up after this shedding of excess rooms and areas..

(By the way, yeah the gravity was pretty floaty, I've increased it quite a bit as well now)
« Last Edit: December 02, 2015, 01:17:23 PM by djdolber » Logged
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic