Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411428 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 01:33:22 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsAnodyne - Android version available now
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 34
Print
Author Topic: Anodyne - Android version available now  (Read 139276 times)
Graham-
Level 10

ftw

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: September 28, 2012, 02:36:45 PM »

you only need 1 person in the audience for a good presentation.
melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: September 28, 2012, 05:08:54 PM »

good attitude!

I owe pictures. but there are none that are super new.

lots of tilesets in the pipeline.

well, here's a screenshot. it's not super new though.

It's a MOUNTAIN CAVE area...sort of...

play hydlide 2
melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: September 29, 2012, 07:31:58 AM »

some wip songs

both are dungeon songs
« Last Edit: September 29, 2012, 05:24:26 PM by seagaia » Logged

play hydlide 2
melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: September 30, 2012, 12:13:51 PM »

kool vid by nick reineke (rockleesmile, of indieimpressions video series).

wrote more music last night. more sound effects today. classes start tomrorow. will finish all SFX today. heh heheheh

play hydlide 2
melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: October 01, 2012, 08:08:30 AM »

today we got rejected from GOG.com .

yesterday I did a little music, and finished up a majority of dungeno sound effects. i probably will have to make a few more to round out the rest of the game. ialso did some boilerplate stuff with dungeon bosses (dialogues, post-boss events, blah blah).

yeah man.

play hydlide 2
tchassin
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #145 on: October 01, 2012, 01:10:49 PM »

Don't worry, your game is cool. Keep working on it and adding content and eventually they'll accept it.

melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: October 01, 2012, 03:45:43 PM »

Don't worry, your game is cool. Keep working on it and adding content and eventually they'll accept it.

yeah. they said they want to see press coverage from bigger outlets first (i.e. giantbomb/kotaku/destructoid/RPS/etc.) . which makes sense from their standpoint as a business.

my attempts at getting someone at a big site to do a thing haven't worked yet, but none of them have flat out said "please for god's sake stop e-mailing us sean go away" so I'll just keep following up Tongue

play hydlide 2
melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: October 02, 2012, 08:47:08 AM »

Welp, we got a mention on RPS. That's swell!

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/10/02/dungeons-and-dreamscapes-anodyne-demo/

Coursework starting soon. Should be pretty easy quarter, just two classes with weekly psets (i.e. do them the night before), one reading/essay class , and then operating systems (probably hard, but will be a good balance with the game).

Testing starting soon, too, for Anodyne's dungeons. I think I am keeping it just to
 people I know in the "real world" right now, though.

Anyways yesterday I did a cutscene for the midgame as well as coding up this one entity in this one area. Secret secret!

Jon and I are now called "Analgesic Productions", too. Fancy!

play hydlide 2
kittakaj
Level 1

hello

View Profile WWW
« Reply #148 on: October 02, 2012, 11:01:25 AM »

Yep, sorry guys, I am trying to pound out the remaining tilesets but keep getting sidetracked by school and life.  I'm currently working on the last really expansive tileset, then there are a few more, then I'll switch gears to story and area design.  New screenshots will come in a bit!  A lot of my recent work i think is better than the earlier stuff, or at least more interesting, so that is good.  The areas that I'm working on now are of the sort where I think the graphics will have more weight to pull, as they are less focused on combat/puzzles.  So I'm trying to heighten the sense of style and the visual complexity.

melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: October 03, 2012, 06:20:12 PM »

i'm excited for the screenshots toooooo

some of those areas have some programmatic elements, but for the most part they are carried by the art, secondarily the music, tertiarily (Huh?) the design of the actual area. some """weird""" things......

here's a cruddy screenshot of something i finished today

but u cant see the finished versiont ill the games fnihshed SRRRRRRRY

--------

for the curious, I updated the first post with some "numbers" on how far development is along.

For those who care about LoC:

In my codebase (ignoring flixel and the few changes I made to flixel) there are:

~24,000 lines of Actionscript 3, ignoring my comments (~2k lines), and ignoring blanks.
About 3.5k of those 24k lines are class field declarations/embed statements - found by counting lines with public or private in them.

Most of the code is enemy logic, which mostly comes down to fairly straightforward coding that probably would be better off as some sort of scripting. There's also a bit of boilerplate with flixel - adding animations, etc.

There's some python and lua too but just one or two files of each.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2012, 08:32:40 PM by seagaia » Logged

play hydlide 2
melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: October 04, 2012, 08:35:40 PM »

did a thing for a thing. you'll like it.

did another thing.

blah blah blah.

wrote some music today. most of it sucked so it got thrown away. OH WELL

play hydlide 2
melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: October 05, 2012, 02:33:02 PM »

Did a little music so far, I plan to do more later. I overslept today and spent a lot of time giving a lecture on Unix and then doing class stuff Tongue .

We will have some pics later, and maybe some WIP with songs. Ihope to finish the music this weekend!

play hydlide 2
melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: October 05, 2012, 06:24:17 PM »

doo doo doo

play hydlide 2
Chris Polus
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #153 on: October 06, 2012, 02:16:04 AM »

Hey Sean

Congrats on your mention on RPS! I know from firsthand experience that it's not easy and the road to get press coverage is paved with frustration and follow-ups, lol Smiley But I had my share of them and learned along the way. I was at the GDC and talked to press people and read a lot of helpful articles by other devs who talk about the exact challenge of contacting the press.

One of the best guides I found was from PixelProspector.com. It's really comprehensive and easy to follow.
http://www.pixelprospector.com/how-to-contact-press/

In my experience having a video is one of the most important elements. A nicely cut video that conveys the essence of the game, the feelings, some story maybe. You can have several trailers focusing on different aspects, but they should be coherent as a unit. Press coverage is not a one-off either. So if you have significant updates, made some story progress, make a new trailer, focus on this new story part that you finished and send a new email to the people that already featured you (write down their email addresses and names, thank them for covering you, and update them on what happened).

I really like making gameplay videos or demos. So if I should have any free time at some point I could take your demo and try to make something of it that you can use for the press again Smiley Just drop me a line. I'd really like to help. Currently we have a loooot to do ourselves, but who knows.

Best of luck, I'll keep tracking the project Smiley Never give up, never surrender Smiley
Chris

http://stillalive.games
Drone Swarm, Rescue HQ, Bus Simulator, Son of Nor
Dom2D
Level 5

I'll do it myself then!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #154 on: October 06, 2012, 03:57:15 PM »

Hey! Could you post some sexy screenshots, I'd love to put Anodyne in the TIGSource Devlog Mag! Thanks!

melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: October 06, 2012, 04:25:40 PM »

Hey! Could you post some sexy screenshots, I'd love to put Anodyne in the TIGSource Devlog Mag! Thanks!

sure i'll try to. Jon's drawing a number of tilesets still but none are in game yet, although at some point they will be in-game,and then i'll post screenshots in conjunction with a devlog update.

I will stick some older screenshots here with descriptions, in case ya wanna use those.

one picture I was sent recently was this, which is a work in progress for jon - it's part of a non-dungeon forest area. i copypastad the player in

play hydlide 2
melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: October 06, 2012, 04:31:28 PM »

Hey Sean

Chris

Thanks Chris! I read a few of those articles before I did my first press push - I'd say it went pretty well, all in all, though I'm still pushing for mentions on the other big sites - GiantBomb, Kotaku, Destructoid, and larger Youtube channels...just to drum up people noticing. I do send them the trailer we have. I'll probably need to make a new one before the game is released.

It is nice that after the press push, I have a list of contacts in the press. I don't think I'd bother them with my weekly updates, but maybe I'll send them the release trailer...when I get around to making it. Not sure - release is only a few months off, so I'm debating whether to just wait till then to send download codes and so forth - I don't want to bother them too much...hmm...

Perhaps you could make a video when the game's released? There's a number of videos of playing the demo already - although if you want to make one of the demo I'm totally fine with that!
« Last Edit: October 06, 2012, 04:36:54 PM by seagaia » Logged

play hydlide 2
melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: October 06, 2012, 04:38:19 PM »

Worked on a lot of music today. Lots of outtakes, but here's something that will stay. It's really weird

play hydlide 2
Chris Polus
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #158 on: October 07, 2012, 01:15:00 AM »

I think your music fits your art and game style very well. Well done! Not many people are artist, coder and musician in one person. I did understand correctly that you're the only one working on the game, right?

Sure, I can do a video once the game is finished. We could talk at some point about what you think is absolutely crucial in your game to really bring that forward. And what style the video should have.

Well, we don't bother the press with weekly updates either, so I think that's a good move. And I saw you had some exposure already. At least you have a playable demo, which we don't yet have so it's hard getting our game out to YouTubers. Smiley We'll get there eventually.

I'm curious if you really manage to finish the game "in a few month's time" as you said. Hehe, you know, the last 10% of polishment are as hard as the previous 90%, hehe. Anyway I keep my fingers crossed of course and then we can stick our heads together about the release trailer. Keep me posted. I'd really like to look into this and see what it is that makes a trailer great. Let's figure it out together.

I'm going back to my own projects now. And there should be the 2nd episode of Arcan Chronicles coming, which will go into post production in a week or two, where I'll do all the sound work again. Speak to you later.

Chris

http://stillalive.games
Drone Swarm, Rescue HQ, Bus Simulator, Son of Nor
melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: October 07, 2012, 08:50:53 AM »

I think your music fits your art and game style very well. Well done! Not many people are artist, coder and musician in one person. I did understand correctly that you're the only one working on the game, right?

Sure, I can do a video once the game is finished. We could talk at some point about what you think is absolutely crucial in your game to really bring that forward. And what style the video should have.

Well, we don't bother the press with weekly updates either, so I think that's a good move. And I saw you had some exposure already. At least you have a playable demo, which we don't yet have so it's hard getting our game out to YouTubers. Smiley We'll get there eventually.

I'm curious if you really manage to finish the game "in a few month's time" as you said. Hehe, you know, the last 10% of polishment are as hard as the previous 90%, hehe. Anyway I keep my fingers crossed of course and then we can stick our heads together about the release trailer. Keep me posted. I'd really like to look into this and see what it is that makes a trailer great. Let's figure it out together.

I'm going back to my own projects now. And there should be the 2nd episode of Arcan Chronicles coming, which will go into post production in a week or two, where I'll do all the sound work again. Speak to you later.

Chris

Nope, I'm working on it with Jon Kittaka, he's the one who does the really great art and the clever dialogue. And does sanity checks on my stuff as well (finds bugs etc.) .

I really do think there are only a few months of work left, although I guess it does depend how well the testers react to the other dungeons in the game since the only really heavily "proven" one is the one in the demo. Although I have tried to make it so once you finish that you know enough to deal with the rest with very few instructions. We'll see...

Yeah, we can discuss a video later, if you'd like to make one. I usually try to cover what I see as 3 aspects - the calmness of some non-dungeon areas, the forboding nature of some non-dungeon areas, and then the interaction within the dungeons. At least that's what I tried to do with my previous trailer, tying it closely to the song I wrote for it.

play hydlide 2
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 34
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic