Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411511 Posts in 69375 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 01:22:26 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsAnodyne - Android version available now
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 34
Print
Author Topic: Anodyne - Android version available now  (Read 139384 times)
melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #260 on: November 13, 2012, 10:53:22 AM »

I see, thanks Chris. Yeah, the press will pick it up at some point if I just keep pushing...I think it should be okay. At least if a game is quality then it doesn't really matter.

Here's the aforementioned blog post on how I did my Android port in a few days:

http://seagaia.wordpress.com/2012/11/13/how-i-ported-anodyne-my-zelda-like-to-android/

play hydlide 2
amidos2006
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #261 on: November 14, 2012, 03:30:58 AM »

I see, thanks Chris. Yeah, the press will pick it up at some point if I just keep pushing...I think it should be okay. At least if a game is quality then it doesn't really matter.

http://seagaia.wordpress.com/2012/11/13/how-i-ported-anodyne-my-zelda-like-to-android/

Nice post about porting to andorid using air, I used that before in porting a game I made called Mountainer but the controls where much simpler just moving Smiley and I like ur idea for changing the controller size based on the screen resolution Smiley as I didn't do that on my game and on new mobile phones where it have a huge resolution by now, the controllers where too small to play the game with Sad So I need to update its code Smiley

Btw if you want to port the game to be faster there is a library called Starling (http://gamua.com/starling/) where it use Stage3D but you will have to do an engine over it looks like flixel interface so your game code won't change a lot Smiley

Good Luck in PAX EAST Smiley

melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #262 on: November 14, 2012, 10:10:26 PM »

Nice post about porting to andorid using air, I used that before in porting a game I made called Mountainer but the controls where much simpler just moving Smiley and I like ur idea for changing the controller size based on the screen resolution Smiley as I didn't do that on my game and on new mobile phones where it have a huge resolution by now, the controllers where too small to play the game with Sad So I need to update its code Smiley

Btw if you want to port the game to be faster there is a library called Starling (http://gamua.com/starling/) where it use Stage3D but you will have to do an engine over it looks like flixel interface so your game code won't change a lot Smiley

Good Luck in PAX EAST Smiley

yeah! i'd use something faster in the future. we haven't been accepte dto pax EAST (still have to apply and cross our fingers!!!)

today... I don't know. I worked on a little bit of music...but mostly did homework...maybe something else. 

and then some weird deja vu-ish personal life crap.

play hydlide 2
amidos2006
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #263 on: November 15, 2012, 12:44:25 AM »

yeah! i'd use something faster in the future. we haven't been accepte dto pax EAST (still have to apply and cross our fingers!!!)

today... I don't know. I worked on a little bit of music...but mostly did homework...maybe something else. 

Sad That's bad Sad btw you music tracks is so amazing I like them alot Smiley

melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #264 on: November 15, 2012, 11:22:26 AM »

Sad That's bad Sad btw you music tracks is so amazing I like them alot Smiley

Yeah, it's unfortunate. But it's really for the better. Most people (well, everyone) agrees it's a better idea to release in the new year than compete in an oversaturated market, especially when we're not very well established. We also get december to polish the game while I'm on break from school! So it will be better for it.

I'm glad you like my music, that means a lot whenever someone tells me that!

play hydlide 2
melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #265 on: November 17, 2012, 03:34:10 PM »

No new screenies, jons pretty busy. I showed the game at thr Chicago otoy and game fair today and will do it tomorrow. It's reaally fun, watching kids enjoy it and their parents pull them away!

play hydlide 2
amidos2006
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #266 on: November 18, 2012, 09:31:45 AM »

No new screenies, jons pretty busy. I showed the game at thr Chicago otoy and game fair today and will do it tomorrow. It's reaally fun, watching kids enjoy it and their parents pull them away!

Woooow that's really nice and interesting Smiley

DMJohn0X
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #267 on: November 18, 2012, 12:18:26 PM »

Very fun and addicting! I liked how it felt like a more modern day Zelda and the portals reminded my fondly of Chrono Trigger. The broom and picking up/moving dust made me laugh. Good fucking game, man.

Can't wait for this to be on Steam.
amidos2006
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #268 on: November 19, 2012, 12:40:32 AM »

Yup I hope to be greenlit too Smiley It deserve that Smiley

melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #269 on: November 19, 2012, 11:53:58 AM »

Very fun and addicting! I liked how it felt like a more modern day Zelda and the portals reminded my fondly of Chrono Trigger. The broom and picking up/moving dust made me laugh. Good fucking game, man.

Thanks so much - definitely a bit of a re-envisioning of gbc zeldas, slightly different design... Definitely not perfect but we're trying to do a decent job. some of yasunori's stuff from CT are definitely influences on some of the music, i imagine 16-bit era games influenced the graphics as well!

hope it'll get on steam - if it does, probably only after release. it's going to be on Desura and GAmersgate, those are both good starts.

Again, over the weekend I was at chitagfair showing the game off. Lots of younger kids (8-13) came and played it and enjoyed it, a few older people too. It's nice to know it can appeal on the base fun level to the majority of audiences.

a video of some kids playing the first dungeon:

here's an uncomfortable picture with a large bear

play hydlide 2
amidos2006
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #270 on: November 19, 2012, 01:36:22 PM »

hope it'll get on steam - if it does, probably only after release. it's going to be on Desura and GAmersgate, those are both good starts.

Won't try to sell it using fastspring from game site?

melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #271 on: November 19, 2012, 04:56:05 PM »

Won't try to sell it using fastspring from game site?

oh i'll be doing that too.

play hydlide 2
saguaro
« Reply #272 on: November 20, 2012, 04:15:45 AM »

Really enjoyed the demo.  I have nothing constructive to add, just that this was an awesome game experience because it really does capture the feel of classic SNES games while having its own style.  Looking forward to release--this is definitely on my xmas list.
beetleking22
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #273 on: November 20, 2012, 05:48:58 AM »

Seagaia can I ask you some question? I would like to make my own music to my games.. Does it need many years of experience to make some kind of game music? Should I learn first to play with  real life instrument? You have done pretty good music.
melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #274 on: November 20, 2012, 08:59:01 AM »

Really enjoyed the demo.  I have nothing constructive to add, just that this was an awesome game experience because it really does capture the feel of classic SNES games while having its own style.  Looking forward to release--this is definitely on my xmas list.

Thanks, I'm especially glad you liked its style...we definitely wanted to do that so it wasn't just totally a super-homage of Zelda (though in many ways it is!)

Put it on your new year's list! It'll be out in early January (we hope!)

Seagaia can I ask you some question? I would like to make my own music to my games.. Does it need many years of experience to make some kind of game music? Should I learn first to play with  real life instrument? You have done pretty good music.

Thanks, I'm glad you like the music. While you can go and make game music right now, getting it to sound okay will be very hard if you don't have much musical background:

You don't necessarily need to learn a real life instrument, but it may be very useful because you'll gain a basic understanding of theory which is very useful when you need to put a song together - they're not rules you have to follow strictly, but they may make your life easier when listening and learning from others' music.

This: http://academic.udayton.edu/tobyrush/theorypages/
might be useful. I would read the fundamentals, you more or less need those. Try to find an instrument of some sorts, to follow along with.

I wouldn't really worry about learning to play an instrument *well*. It's definitely useful, but by no means needed (though you should still do it if you can) to be able to play concertos or the like...

In any case, you will need to listen. A lot. Listen to lots of music. Try to transcribe it. It will be hard at first - I remember it took hours to transcribe Golden Sun's world map theme when I was 9. Now I could do it from memory and add my own stuff, too.

There's a lot of things you can do. For most of my life I played, listened, transcribed. I didn't really start writing music till ~2 years ago (I had done one-off things occasionally), but all of the other musical experience has let me pick it up pretty fast.

So yeah, start slow. Learn some easy songs on an instrument. Listen to music, transcribe some easy stuff, try writing a simple melody. There are right and wrong ways to do all of the previous...but you can look into it more. If you're persistent you'll eventually get good at it, I think.

And once you're good, well, there's no ceiling so you have to keep making music and getting better! My audio production is pretty bad (but I can get away with it sort of with Anodyne), but I make up for it with the writing, I think, which sort of makes sense, since I haven't been writing for the computer for a very long time - but I still try to stay aware of audio production so I get better at it.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2012, 09:06:23 AM by seagaia » Logged

play hydlide 2
melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #275 on: November 21, 2012, 12:11:21 AM »

MAGFest said we get into the indie showcase! We (or at least I, Sean) will be at magfest from jan 3-7!

this is good!

Smiley

play hydlide 2
amidos2006
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #276 on: November 21, 2012, 12:41:15 AM »

MAGFest said we get into the indie showcase! We (or at least I, Sean) will be at magfest from jan 3-7!

this is good!
 Smiley

That's amazing :D the game is getting more and more publicity Smiley by the way did they replied on you for PAX East? Hope they accept it Smiley

melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #277 on: November 21, 2012, 05:16:43 PM »

this is good!
 Smiley

That's amazing :D the game is getting more and more publicity Smiley by the way did they replied on you for PAX East? Hope they accept it Smiley

nope, haven't yet. I hope they do too...that would be really nice

friends tellin' me weird stories in real life. weiird stuff.

working on xml tree patching for dialogue states and dungeon states. not really that fun. <_>

play hydlide 2
melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #278 on: November 22, 2012, 11:18:36 AM »

been working on a boss song...it's not supposed to be too intense, but maybe this gets too intense? it's only for part and it will reduce in intensity

http://tindeck.com/listen/ariw

play hydlide 2
melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #279 on: November 23, 2012, 11:46:49 PM »

it's my thanksiving break, but it's not really a break at all, it just meant i had little free time on thursday and now I have a few days to finish a lot of crap.

I tricked myself into not believing that today, and made a lot of headway on the *last* boss of the game. phew!

and I wrote some dialogue!!! it might be terrible!

we're implementing virtual memory in a toy OS for my OS class. it's painful.

play hydlide 2
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 34
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic