Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411520 Posts in 69380 Topics- by 58436 Members - Latest Member: GlitchyPSI

May 01, 2024, 02:21:10 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)CreativeWritingFeedback on my blog article
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Feedback on my blog article  (Read 1576 times)
LordAndrew
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: May 28, 2012, 05:23:55 AM »

So I've decided to create a blog where I gush about my fanboyism and love of Waluigi and I realize that I'm quite honestly not a very good writer.  I'm hoping to improve though so I'm looking to get some criticism on the opening article I wrote.  This particular one is meant to introduce readers to the blog's purpose.

Since I'm using HTML in it I threw together a quick and sloppy HTML page so it formats correctly, though the end result will be on a Tumblr.  [Link]
TrampolineTales
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2012, 05:39:09 AM »

...I'm quite honestly not a very good writer.  I'm hoping to improve though...

The best way to improve as a writer, or in anything really, is to just do it more often. Getting feedback is also difficult, so I salute you for not only trying, but for asking for help as well. I think one thing you could focus on is your pacing. It's easy to tell that you care about your subject, but sometimes your transitions can seem a bit abrupt. I don't want to tell you exactly how you should write, but that's just one thing you could keep in mind. Good luck! Smiley
Panurge
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2012, 11:31:28 PM »

In my opinion, there is nothing wrong with your style - you write smoothly and with clarity - and your desire to learn and improve does you great credit.

As a very small point, I would suggest that sometimes your sentence structure could be simplified a touch, as in this example:

'His name is clever in that it is a portmanteau of Luigi and the Japanese adjective warui meaning "bad", making his name literally "bad Luigi".'

I think it would read a little better as follows:

'His name is a clever portmanteau of Luigi and the Japanese adjective warui meaning "bad", making him literally "bad Luigi".'

Similarly, 'both a playable character and as a non-playable character' would be better as 'both a playable and non-playable character'.

That's the smallest sort of niggle, however. Good luck with the blog!

Synaptic Wave
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2012, 10:29:59 AM »

I like your post! Kiss

+1 to Panurge about complicated sentences. But the overall style is nice, and the post makes pefect sense. You've got an opening phrase, some text in the middle and an elegant conclusion. Polishing your language isn't that hard while polishing the way you think and the way you express your thoughts is really tough.

Good luck with your blog!  Panda
LordAndrew
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2012, 06:38:19 PM »

Thanks for the replies!  I've updated the link to address all the changes you guys and some others gave me, hope it flows better than it originally did!

I am having doubts now though as a friend pointed out that maintaining a blog centralized around a secondary character in a video game is... well, I'm going to run out of things to talk about very quickly.  He has a point too, so I'm not quite sure how to proceed.
Panurge
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2012, 01:53:08 AM »

I've seen successful blogs based on less. I think you just need to be as eclectic and creative as possible in your approach. Find Waluigi cosplayers (a quick google search shows there are a surprising number), approach people who worked on Waluigi's character design for interviews (never underestimate vanity!), trawl for obscure Waluigi merchandise, write tongue-in-cheek Waluigi fan fiction (Waluigi and Bella go to Hogwarts!), anything you like...

Certainly you can write well and you have a passion for your subject. Go for it!

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic