Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 27, 2024, 09:23:36 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsThe game formerly known as Chroma
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 20
Print
Author Topic: The game formerly known as Chroma  (Read 61947 times)
Claw
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #140 on: July 18, 2012, 01:52:46 AM »

This grass is very good, in general the atmosphere is very good, however I think something does not fit the character, the character off light, perhaps could give another meaning to the light, for example could be a man in a state of depression the light indicates the hope out of it, the light may decrease and thus their hope, so the difficulty would increase, this would indicate that the character is losing hope and progress becomes more difficult.
It's just an idea.

Thanks for the input, you're pretty close to the direction I'm taking the game with your suggestion Smiley A light in the darkness was always supposed to be a metaphor for hope and depression.

I want to go into more detail about these themes along with the way the game will feel and play soon, just have to collect my thoughts a bit before then.

Wow, this project is coming along great! Keep up the fantastic work.

Thanks Coffee

John Hutchinson
Level 0

Code Monkey Go Bananas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #141 on: July 18, 2012, 07:06:29 AM »

Loving it so far.  Keep up the good work!  Coffee

"Code banana. Run in loop. Makes many banana!"
[email protected] | Blog | Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn
Claw
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #142 on: July 18, 2012, 09:03:57 AM »

Loving it so far.  Keep up the good work!  Coffee

Thanks  Coffee

Just read your blog post via your profile link, just wanted to say you're not alone in your feelings towards game development, I'm the same; and I'd wager a larger number of people round these forums are too. Love making games, hate day job - risk of making the full time jump scares me but each day I feel I'm being pulled closer and closer to that goal... One day Wink

Oh and before I forget, made a new site quickly today: http://iamclaw.com

Loads to do, but it's a start.

John Hutchinson
Level 0

Code Monkey Go Bananas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #143 on: July 18, 2012, 09:19:14 AM »

Loving it so far.  Keep up the good work!  Coffee

Thanks  Coffee

Just read your blog post via your profile link, just wanted to say you're not alone in your feelings towards game development, I'm the same; and I'd wager a larger number of people round these forums are too. Love making games, hate day job - risk of making the full time jump scares me but each day I feel I'm being pulled closer and closer to that goal... One day Wink

Oh and before I forget, made a new site quickly today: http://iamclaw.com

Loads to do, but it's a start.

Thanks a lot!  I definitely get that impression.  People here seem very passionate about their games and I'm glad to be here.  I should have joined in a long time ago.

Oh, and I like the look and feel of your new site.  I obviously have a lot of work to do on my site as well. Working on my web presence still feels like an awkward time-eater to me but I'm seeing more and more just how important social marketing is and I'm trying to figure out ways to spend more time on stuff like that.  Plus, it just feels good to make connections with like-minded people... I think that's a big part of what I've been missing.  Anyway, I'm glad to be here and, again, the game looks amazing. I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with it.

"Code banana. Run in loop. Makes many banana!"
[email protected] | Blog | Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn
Claw
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #144 on: July 22, 2012, 10:22:16 AM »

I've got a bunch of technical stuff in line now which makes maps nicer to handle and is the first step in allowing background loading of different map chunks - for a seamless world.

The map is coming together. I have my paper version, blocked out areas where the look and feel changes and where core things are, and now I have the first area the player finds themselves in mostly mapped out in the editor. Feels like it is coming together when you can see rooms taking shape and puzzle concepts forming around objects and in your mind.

I'm enjoying this stage of development a lot.

d
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: July 22, 2012, 02:38:11 PM »

I'm keeping an eye on this, you've got something interesting here.
Jammo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: July 22, 2012, 04:01:41 PM »

I am excited to see the eventual launch of this. There seems to be a gap in well made platformers for PC. Meat Boy, Braid and Limbo are all great, but PC was an afterthought, and of course Fez which may still come later. Good luck, I will be keeping an eye on this project.
superflat
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #147 on: July 25, 2012, 01:24:13 PM »

I think you should quit the day job, claw.

Glad to see the character develop his own unique personality, and one that is much more clear about his ability.  Recent shots look awesome.

Claw
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #148 on: July 25, 2012, 01:47:33 PM »

I think you should quit the day job, claw.

Glad to see the character develop his own unique personality, and one that is much more clear about his ability.  Recent shots look awesome.

Thanks man, I appreciate the confidence in me/my game. I'm still saving money, and growing some balls - so hopefully when I have more of both I'll be able to quit and go full time on Chroma (that's the dream).

Hoping that goal will be reached within this year.

superflat
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #149 on: July 26, 2012, 01:17:32 AM »

You've got the art AND the code skills, that's 99% of the battle right there, man!  As long as it plays as good as it looks, you'll do great.  Beer!

Claw
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #150 on: July 29, 2012, 11:56:18 AM »

You've got the art AND the code skills, that's 99% of the battle right there, man!  As long as it plays as good as it looks, you'll do great.  Beer!
Thanks, hopefully it will... Beer!

Fixed a SIGNIFICANT bug today, one that I could not comprehend and thought was massive. Turns out I am slightly retarded so all is well with the world once more.

I made a game in a weekend a while back for this local event where we had 6 massive coloured buttons. It uses Chroma source and was fun to play with other people! I'm gonna fix some parts of it up for pure PC use (numbers on buttons rather than just colour), maybe throw in some more levels (it's pretty short) and release it, all hopefully in the near future. For now though back working on Chroma since I got not a lot done all weekend other than bug fixes, needs to be done though - glad some of the big ones are off the list!

But yeah, for people interested in what Chroma looks like in motion will get a glimpse through this jam game (which I need an actual name for since it's project is currently called BUTT JAM)

Pics of the event and shiz can be found here

I'll post about it at some point when I actually get round to finishing that game up for public release.

Oh, and my screenshot saturday shot was:

Claw
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #151 on: July 31, 2012, 01:39:08 PM »

I think this picture gives a taste of the methodology of story telling I'm using in the game:

It shows a glimpse of an event, leaving some mystery in it's wake; I like that.

There will be no words or text in the game, except for the title and options (even then minimum amount). I hate reading in games, if I want to read I'll find a book. Some is fine, but preferably keep it to a minimum. I also dislike massive cut scenes, and losing player control - so the player will still retain control in this game 99.999% of the time.

BomberTREE
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: July 31, 2012, 02:00:00 PM »

Oh, and my screenshot saturday shot was:
This game with those colors.. beautiful man!
Claw
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #153 on: August 01, 2012, 03:01:04 PM »

A new video:

Showing off the character and a bit more of how it looks in general.

Pixelulsar
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #154 on: August 01, 2012, 03:49:11 PM »

Looks very nice, and the idea of using your shadows is very cool and original.  Looking forward to it.

d
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: August 01, 2012, 05:00:57 PM »

The gameplay video looks fantastic. This will be a really interesting game.
eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #156 on: August 01, 2012, 05:30:30 PM »

Looks nicely executed, good luck. Smiley

knotty spine
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: August 01, 2012, 05:37:57 PM »

That looks frikkin' cool.  Angry

Animating something like this >> Outraged << would take hours, maybe even days of work.
IndieKylo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: August 01, 2012, 07:20:06 PM »

I happened to stumble upon this on Youtube, looks excellent!

@IndieKylo on Twitter!
Claw
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #159 on: August 02, 2012, 02:42:13 AM »

Thanks very much folks Coffee

Posted the vid on Reddit and went to sleep. Woke up to find my inbox full of youtube comments/subs etc. Awesome stuff, didn't expect such a massive response!

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 20
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic