Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411482 Posts in 69370 Topics- by 58426 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 23, 2024, 10:27:34 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsThe game formerly known as Chroma
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 20
Print
Author Topic: The game formerly known as Chroma  (Read 61916 times)
rivon
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #300 on: December 17, 2012, 02:04:00 PM »

I hope the symbols randomly fade in/out as if showing some kind of macro-symbols.
Sergi
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #301 on: December 17, 2012, 02:55:08 PM »

Hand Shake Left Kiss Hand Shake Right

Dr. Cooldude
« Reply #302 on: December 17, 2012, 08:06:59 PM »

I hope the symbols randomly fade in/out as if showing some kind of macro-symbols.
That would be really awesome Crazy
HyMyNameIsMatt
Level 1

Vernal Edge

View Profile
« Reply #303 on: December 17, 2012, 08:26:35 PM »

I am just seeing this for the first time entirely based on that video.  It looks really awesome.  Atmosphere and whatnot is superb.  I don't know how well that would work for a game that lasts for hours without some sort of sound, but I'm confident by what I see.  My instincts tell me there should be more detail in the enviornment like chains or whatever else, but I'd like to see more before really suggesting anything about this game.

It looks good.

d
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #304 on: December 17, 2012, 08:30:30 PM »

I just had a wonderful thought: Chroma + singularities with spacetime distortion (light bending).
HyMyNameIsMatt
Level 1

Vernal Edge

View Profile
« Reply #305 on: December 17, 2012, 09:09:27 PM »

Oh god I just saw the other two videos.  Why is he an actual lightbulb now?  It's not nearly as relateable.  I literally do not think I could get lost as that character and empathize with him anymore.  Now it's like, "Aha!  Get it!  He's a little lightbulb! Jokes!"

Frooxius
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #306 on: December 18, 2012, 03:10:31 AM »

When I saw the video at first, I didn't know what was happening, but then I noticed the shadows and I thought "wow, that's awesome concept" :-) Looks as simple concept yet fun, the atmosphere is also peculiar, sort of mystic.

Even though there's no music, what about some subtle ambient sounds? Just a random idea though ^^' I'll be definitely watching this  Smiley
Claw
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #307 on: December 18, 2012, 03:30:16 AM »

I just had a wonderful thought: Chroma + singularities with spacetime distortion (light bending).

That's making my head hurt thinking about it Tongue I want to stretch the mechanics to their maximum feasible use, but reflection of collision lines and bending things etc is so incredibly complex (for various reasons) I'm not sure if it's possible in a realistic way. If you think about how the shadows are projected in this 2D representation, they really don't make much physical sense in a 3D world so it gets a bit crazy trying to do the maths and then plug it into physics calculations! Like the idea though :D

Oh god I just saw the other two videos.  Why is he an actual lightbulb now?  It's not nearly as relateable.  I literally do not think I could get lost as that character and empathize with him anymore.  Now it's like, "Aha!  Get it!  He's a little lightbulb! Jokes!"

He's always been a lightbulb, it's integral to the story.

When I saw the video at first, I didn't know what was happening, but then I noticed the shadows and I thought "wow, that's awesome concept" :-) Looks as simple concept yet fun, the atmosphere is also peculiar, sort of mystic.

Even though there's no music, what about some subtle ambient sounds? Just a random idea though ^^' I'll be definitely watching this  Smiley

It has a fair bit of sound in already but I'm adding more continuously, it just won't have any music. The point of the audio is that it's generally not just random audio noise in the background, each sound in the game has a point of origin and a purpose. If you hear a noise, it's because something is actually making that noise rather than just having an ambient track over everything (if that makes sense).

I'll probably get someone to redo/make the rest of the sound effects later on in development, just can't afford it at the moment and don't know all the specific sounds needed, so I'm just using my own mostly temporary stuff.

What do you mean by macro symbols? Like musical notation style? Or the smaller symbols making a larger one in the grid? Cool thought though, gives me some ideas.

rivon
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #308 on: December 18, 2012, 04:03:29 AM »

Yes, the smaller symbols making a larger one. It could be similar shapes like the small symbols but the small symbols would be like pixels of the large one.
Claw
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #309 on: January 04, 2013, 02:54:26 PM »

I wrote a blog post about level/world design in Chroma: here

Might be interesting to someone so thought I'd mention it here.

This weekend will be full of art with a side order of level design. Made some rocks yesterday and I'm pretty pleased with how they turned out; took so long to pixel in the normals but was pretty relaxing to just chill out, listen to music, and draw.

melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #310 on: January 04, 2013, 04:59:09 PM »

I LIKE TO MAKE ROCKS

I already said this on Twitter, but nice blog post - will be cool to see more, if you have the time - I oftne want to write more as well but am busy working on things like the game etc.

play hydlide 2
happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #311 on: January 05, 2013, 01:20:20 AM »

Yes, nice blog. Smiley
Claw
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #312 on: January 07, 2013, 03:10:50 PM »

Cheers guys, glad you liked it. Might post blog things more often, ends up being quite therapeutic and useful for me to re-read and evaluate stuff.

Feeling pretty good today, because I'm sat here makin' a game, and that's a pretty fun thing to do. IGF finalists were announced and Chroma wasn't one of them, and for pretty valid reasons. It was way too early to be played, there wasn't much gameplay to the IGF demo and no real meat to it. Now I have a clean slate, a year to make a really good game and try it next time round.

The whole "intend to release it within one year" thing had me a bit on edge anyway, because I don't know what's gonna happen over the next 365 days, or the scale the game will end up taking, now I'm generally just looking forward to this next year doing what I love.

Anyway, here's a picture that is animated by magic and fancy technology of something I finally got round to adding/polishing:

Also, I'm talking with a sound designer/musician at the moment... There won't be background music to the game like I've said, but he sent me a dubbed video that blew me the fuck away, and it's pretty exciting. Takes the audio in the direction I was aiming for, but above and beyond that.

devMidgard
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #313 on: January 07, 2013, 04:30:57 PM »

Are you using a third party engine or your team just created a custom engine?

I was wondering about Unity... DAMN THIS LOOKS SO COOL!
Claw
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #314 on: January 07, 2013, 04:33:16 PM »

I'd like to give Unity a try some day, seems like the best thing around for making 3D games these days and has a lot of cool features.

I made this engine myself, but I'm completely insane so I don't recommend it.

DustyDrake
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #315 on: January 07, 2013, 04:55:23 PM »

Uh... Wow!
But why do the shadow blocks go up? Unless that's just a trick of the eyes and they aren't actually dropping like the 'real' one does.

Claw
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #316 on: January 07, 2013, 04:58:04 PM »

Light and shadow, equal and opposite, you stand on the solid and it falls down - the shadow stays there. Stand on the shadow and the shadow falls... up. Just thought it would look cool Smiley

DustyDrake
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #317 on: January 07, 2013, 05:01:41 PM »

Light and shadow, equal and opposite, you stand on the solid and it falls down - the shadow stays there. Stand on the shadow and the shadow falls... up. Just thought it would look cool Smiley
It does, but... that seems fairly opposite to how everything else handles light.

devMidgard
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #318 on: January 07, 2013, 05:05:12 PM »

It does, but... that seems fairly opposite to how everything else handles light.

I think it looks great how it is right now.

For my eyes the shadow is not going up, it's just disappearing invaded by the light. Looks really great.
Claw
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #319 on: January 07, 2013, 05:08:16 PM »

You mean because the shadow stays there and the physical object disappears?

That's a pretty essential part of the game, the physical and shadow worlds are two very separate entities. Because something exists in one state doesn't mean it has to exist in all states at the same time, a few puzzles revolve around this concept.

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 20
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic