Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411500 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 12:07:04 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsThe game formerly known as Chroma
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 20
Print
Author Topic: The game formerly known as Chroma  (Read 61926 times)
Claw
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: June 06, 2012, 01:23:02 PM »

@heysami - interesting to see people talking about it already Tongue

@Gray Gambit Games - Glad it was a bit of a surprise, quite a few people seem to have that reaction which is great :D

@kamac - Haha thanks for the encouragement, not really thinking about that aspect yet as it's so far from that stage.

With all the great feedback and positive response so far, I wish I could work on it full time (well I wish that regardless of response), it's making me consider the possibility of quitting the dayjob and going for it, but I have a decent paid job - which is pretty lucky currently, and I'm thankful for it. Just risk vs reward, reward being I can work on this all the time. A difficult decision I think about each day.

Anyway, today's productivity:

• Changed up the texture and tile 'system' to allow bigger tile textures, as in, instead of 16x16 tiles its now 64x64 - plenty of room for new stuff.
  • Drew some more tiles and larger objects.
  • Had some good ideas about puzzles, mechanics and background 'story' or world stuff

I really think I'm gonna have to stop the art and design side for a week or two and just go to town on these ideas, prototyping implementing and refining. Needs to be done, and if I get everything nice and clear now it'll be much better down the line.

It's a shit load of work though Coffee

kamac
Level 10

Notoriously edits his posts

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 06, 2012, 01:40:02 PM »

By the way, there seems to be a shadow bug at 0:04. I guess shadows' depth is yet TODO?
« Last Edit: April 03, 2015, 05:34:14 AM by kamac » Logged

SoulBlade
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 06, 2012, 01:49:13 PM »

That shadow walking was absolutely spectacular.   Hand Thumbs Up Left Hand Thumbs Up Right

Claw
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: June 06, 2012, 01:50:42 PM »

@kamac - Yeah I only realised after I rendered the video, it's actually a chip in the stone I just aded to the wrong tile layer Tongue

@SoulBlade - Cheers Smiley

jmcmorris
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: June 06, 2012, 03:59:47 PM »

Have you considered putting together a kickstarter campaign? I know I'd be more than willing to put down some money.

Claw
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: June 06, 2012, 11:32:37 PM »

I'm not really a massive fan of the whole kickstarter thing. I know some good stuff is being produced because of it and things like Indie Game the Movie have been a great success, but I don't like the idea of asking for money for something I have yet to finish.

I could live for a year or maybe a little more on savings anyway, it's still a risk to quit. It took me a long long time to get this job and if I need to get another at some point I may not be as lucky. I think I will take the jump at some point before this project is over, just gotta work stuff out first Smiley

kamac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 07, 2012, 12:49:04 AM »

Oh, and which OGL version are you using?  Durr...?

Claw
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: June 07, 2012, 01:50:48 AM »

Oh, and which OGL version are you using?  Durr...?

I actually don't know Tongue I can get back to you when I'm at home and find out. It's at least 3.0 but probably a later version - never actually thought about it  Who, Me?

jmcmorris
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: June 07, 2012, 07:06:19 AM »

I'm not really a massive fan of the whole kickstarter thing. I know some good stuff is being produced because of it and things like Indie Game the Movie have been a great success, but I don't like the idea of asking for money for something I have yet to finish.

I could live for a year or maybe a little more on savings anyway, it's still a risk to quit. It took me a long long time to get this job and if I need to get another at some point I may not be as lucky. I think I will take the jump at some point before this project is over, just gotta work stuff out first Smiley

Completely understandable. I'm in a similar situation. Looking forward to what you come up with. Smiley

Claw
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: June 09, 2012, 01:56:19 AM »

EDIT: Think I'm gonna start re-factoring the starting area today. Got some good puzzle/layout ideas from my first attempt, but the map currently has no greater purpose, no real reason for existing other than to give a player somewhere to wander around. Need to mould it to the bigger picture.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2012, 03:23:11 AM by Claw » Logged

kamac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 10, 2012, 04:45:51 AM »

What are you using to make maps? Smiley

Claw
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: June 10, 2012, 05:58:54 AM »

My own level/map editing thing I wrote - it's not very user friendly, but it does what I need it to and I'm continuously adding stuff to it. Everything's just macroed to keys all over the place rather than having visible buttons Tongue

kamac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 10, 2012, 06:16:17 AM »

Since you use higher version of OGL, may I ask how do you transfer from 1.0 being half of the screen from the center & -1.0 being other half (to the left) from the screen's center to pixels? Tongue

Like, X = 0, Y = 0 is top-left corner of the screen instead of it's center.
(I knew how to do that in OGL 1.1, but I cannot sort it our in 2.x/3.x)

Claw
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: June 10, 2012, 06:24:03 AM »

You can take care of it in the shader; I draw stuff in screen coords then the shader translates them based on a uniform vec2 called ScreenSize:

Code:
    gl_Position.x =  ( ( gl_Position.x * ( 2.0 / ScreenSize.x) ) - 1.0 );
    gl_Position.y = ( -( gl_Position.y * ( 2.0 / ScreenSize.y) ) + 1.0 );

So ScreenSize might be 640, 480 or something, and it then translates from

x: 0 = -1.0, 640 = 1.0
y: 0 = -1.0, 480 = 1.0

kamac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 10, 2012, 06:48:16 AM »

Neat. Almost works Wink

Problem is that I get a rectangle instead of a square while I declare my "square" this way:

Code:
const float square_buffer_data[] = {
0.0f,0.0f,0.0f,
64.0f,0.0f,0.0f,
64.0f,64.0f,0.0f,
0.0f,64.0f,0.0f
};

Weird  Shrug

My window size is 1024x768. Here is how camera is set up:

Code:
glm::mat4 Projection = glm::perspective(45.0f,4.0f/3.0f,0.1f,100.0f);
//camera
glm::mat4 View = glm::lookAt(
glm::vec3(0,0,1), //camera is at 4,3,3 in the world space
glm::vec3(0,0,0), //looks at the origin
glm::vec3(0,1,0) //head is up. (0,-1,0) to look upside-down.
);

Waaagh!

Claw
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: June 10, 2012, 06:59:15 AM »

Mine is using an orthographic view - not sure if maybe your perspective matrix would distort the width of what you draw? I've not used anything other than orthographic stuff in a while now so can't remember much of the maths behind it - try setting the 45 FoV to 90 maybe? Complete guess though Tongue

kamac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 10, 2012, 07:19:11 AM »

Setting fov to 90 degrees didn't help. Instead, I try to switch to ortho projection now. Thing is, I cannot see anything when doing so  No No NO

I have switched to 800x600 window for tests, so now I have:

Code:
glm::mat4 Projection = glm::ortho(0.0f,800.0f,600.0f,0.0f,0.0f,100.0f);
glm::mat4 View = glm::lookAt(
glm::vec3(0,0,1), //camera is at 4,3,3 in the world space
glm::vec3(0,0,0), //looks at the origin
glm::vec3(0,1,0) //head is up. (0,-1,0) to look upside-down.
);
glm::mat4 Model = glm::mat4(1.0f); // changes for each model.
glm::mat4 MVP = Projection * View * Model * glm::translate(64.0f,64.0f,0.0f);

Addicted

Still, cannot see anything.

Claw
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: June 10, 2012, 07:58:16 AM »

Sorry I  have no idea Tongue

Might be better off asking in the technical sub-forum, I don't use matrices on a daily basis so I'm scratching my head looking at that.

Although, the ortho matrix should do the same thing as I was doing in my shader, maybe try it without one or the other? Shrug again not sure

kamac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 10, 2012, 08:04:05 AM »

Alright, thanks for helping through  Durr...?

What are you using instead of matrices?

PS. Sometimes I want to go and hug OGL 1.1 - my old, good friend...
Everything was easy there. glOrthof was giving me pixel coordinates and I could draw something using glBegin and glEnd  Wizard

Claw
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: June 10, 2012, 11:44:45 AM »

I just never end up using matrices, anything near them I just do easier vector maths instead Grin

Weekend's productivity:

• Found a horrrrrrible bug, not fixed - not sure how to go about it just yet
  • Got the basics of the starting area laid out and added a tiny bit of polish
  • Drew a bunch of tiles, a lot of variations on other tiles to make sections of the same tile less repetitive
  • Wrote out a historic timeline of the story.
  • Clearer vision of the bigger picture
  • Mostly design work this weekend, need to crack on fixing bugs and coding more stuff - like mechanics and actual content

It's weird to see so many reactions here and there over the internet, seems a few blogs and indie sites keep picking up on this and writing stuff - cool! But strange Smiley

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 20
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic