Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 09:20:19 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)Weapon Reference
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Weapon Reference  (Read 10415 times)
JWK5
« on: May 29, 2012, 02:10:36 PM »

UPDATE:
I just finished the Japanese/Chinese Swords, Daggers, Blades page (600 KB in size). I will leave the image I originally posted (with European, Asian, etc. weapons mixed) up until I finish the other pages that contain the other weapons. I will edit this post into a more structured listing once I finish more pages.

Yet another glorious random topic of miscellaneous shit, provided by yours truly. Eventually, I'd like to turn this topic into a massive collection of weapon references but given how much time it takes to put the images together it it will be done progressively in batches. Feel free to add to it.

This first batch is a collection of swords, daggers, knives, and other melee bladed weapons (sans axes which I will cover in their own batch). I didn't put every sword known to man or anything crazy like that, but I did put a good majority of the major deviations in sword/dagger classes and designs. The notes in the parenthesis aren't really there for accuracy or historical classification, just to give a general idea of about how big the weapon is or what its function might be. Click the image below to view the full batch of weapons, but be warned the image is pretty beastly (about 2MB in size). In any case, ejoy!

P.S. The TIGS Art forum really could use a "Reference" subforum so that reference collections don't get lost in the sea of posts (and hopefully that would encourage more reference topics).
« Last Edit: May 31, 2012, 09:57:09 PM by JWK5 » Logged
rivon
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2012, 01:32:16 AM »

You're missing one of the most well known bladed weapons - Bowie knife...
BlueSweatshirt
Level 10

the void

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2012, 02:16:39 AM »

Very helpful! Thanks John  Smiley
I really need to start making these for myself...

JWK5
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2012, 03:17:10 AM »

You're missing one of the most well known bladed weapons - Bowie knife...
I just updated the image and added it, along with about 20 to 30 new swords. There's actually quite a few modern weapons I need to add, there have been a lot of crazy innovations to knives and daggers and there are a lot of bayonets and knife-and-knuckle-duster hybrids as well as weird shit like ring knives and such. This is very much a work in progress so expect future updates.

Very helpful! Thanks John  Smiley
I really need to start making these for myself...
The order I am going to approach this is probably axes and picks and crushing weapons, pole-arms, thrown and slung weapons, bows and crossbows, firearms, shields, and armor. Currently I am putting together the axe-pick-mace-bludgeon image but you (or anyone else) are more than welcome to arrange another collection to post here. The more reference there is the better.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 03:32:51 AM by JWK5 » Logged
BlueSweatshirt
Level 10

the void

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2012, 04:29:39 AM »

More whitespace between weapons would go greatly appreciated.

JWK5
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2012, 04:35:06 AM »

More whitespace between weapons would go greatly appreciated.
The lack of white space is mostly due to the fact that the image is getting pretty monstrous in size so I had to start squeezing them in there. I will probably break it down into 2 or 3 images since I wanted to go back and add in the origins of each weapon and group them by it (keeping the Greek swords in one group and the Japanese swords in another, for example), which I wish I would have considered in the first place.
Calabi
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2012, 06:52:21 AM »

Thanks for this, it will come in handy.

Did the chinese really use weapons like that in combat?
JWK5
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2012, 07:12:54 AM »

Thanks for this, it will come in handy.

Did the chinese really use weapons like that in combat?
I think a lot of the more bizarre-looking Chinese weapons were used more in demonstration and training than actual wartime combat (that and some of them may be modern inventions or modern interpretations). Other than the Reiterpallasch (which is actually a Soul Calibur II or III render) all the images are from photos of actual weapons. I couldn't find a decent photo of the Reiterpallasch but the SC render is pretty accurate to the real thing.

EDIT: Literally just as I finished typing that I found a good photo of the Reiterpallasch, lol... Oh well, I'll put it in the next update.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 07:19:40 AM by JWK5 » Logged
rivon
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2012, 08:09:35 AM »

It would also be nice if you added an arrow or a line between all the weapons and their description. Sometimes it's hard to distinguish to which weapon goes which description.
JWK5
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2012, 10:02:18 PM »

I just finished the Japanese/Chinese Swords, Daggers, Blades page which features a lot of new weapons, better naming and info, etc. All the weapon names are directly below the weapons and the weapons are grouped in columns for better readability. I've tried to keep similar weapons together and grouped by their Japanese or Chinese origin and tried to arrange the swords by their general type and size (from shortest to longest).

This is taking a lot more time than I'd like due to my hand being all fucked up (it's actually causing me a good deal of pain) and I can only work on it for so long (or anything else requiring a lot of hand effort), but I've tried to at least work on it a bit each day. I think it will be a great resource when it is done and well worth the effort so I am trying to keep the momentum going. In any case, enjoy!

Coffee
« Last Edit: May 31, 2012, 10:17:09 PM by JWK5 » Logged
BlueSweatshirt
Level 10

the void

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2012, 11:33:52 PM »

Far easier to read now. Kudos!

Azure Lazuline
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2012, 05:09:27 AM »

I love these reference topics, keep it up! I also recognize most of those weapons from Castlevania and think it's neat to see the real-world versions.

emacs
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2012, 06:09:48 PM »

Man, that website is atrocious, but damn those are some good looking swords.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic