Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411737 Posts in 69405 Topics- by 58458 Members - Latest Member: oiledsurvivor

May 22, 2024, 10:29:18 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesMental Stimulating Games
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Mental Stimulating Games  (Read 2414 times)
TheViolentTango
Level 0

View Profile
« on: August 20, 2008, 02:55:24 PM »

Before everyone gets scared I'm not going to be suggesting Donkey Kong Jr. Math. Let's list games that really make us think. Think about ourselves and the world around us. Basically, games that send a message.

My recommendation is 7 Minutes. It's a very short platformer that was an amazing experience for me. The atmosphere, mood, and delivery really had me thinking and in the end made me analyze a lot of things I probably wouldn't have ever thought about before. Those that haven't played it should really give it a shot.

http://koti.mbnet.fi/erkkavir/SevenMinutes.zip
agj
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2008, 06:05:19 PM »

7 Minutes was apparently based off Cactus' Psychosomnium. They're different, though, but I really appreciaty what Psychosomnium does. It's a very interesting way of causing narrative impact through gameplay.

Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2008, 06:08:39 PM »

7 minutes was a really awesome little thing.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
MekanikDestructiwKommando
Level 3

Let's ROCK!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2008, 08:05:53 PM »

I found the controlled randomness of Nethack to be very mentally stimulating (no, I haven't beaten it -_- YET). Playing Rescue the Beagles made me think some really cool stuff could be done with Markov chains.
The game where you've got a crosshair, are told to do the right thing, and see a guy tied up? I won that, first try Smiley (What's the name? Anyone know what I'm talking about?)
Has anyone played Blue Chairs?
Trying out 7 mins, and welcome to TiGsource  Cool
edit: 5/5 7 mins = one of the best games I've ever played thanks!

There have always been interactive experiences that go beyond entertainment.  For example, if mafia games are too fun for you, then you can always join the mafia.
muku
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2008, 08:11:44 PM »

The game where you've got a crosshair, are told to do the right thing, and see a guy tied up? I won that, first try Smiley (What's the name? Anyone know what I'm talking about?)

Execution, yeah. Won it at first try too Smiley Liked it, and it got me to think as well.

Jason Rohrer's games, in particular Gravitation and Passage, might fit the bill for some, though they weren't quite my thing.
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2008, 09:43:53 PM »

I thought Passage was a bit too pleased with itself, but Gravitation was excellent. Muslim Massacre also made me think quite a bit, for reasons I wrote about in the feedback thread.

Cymon
Level 9

Computer Kid

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2008, 08:06:15 AM »

Half-Life was incredible for me. It was the first time in a game I stopped the shooting to listen because my enemies were talking about me. So I'm sitting there listening as the drama unfolds and I realize this isn't a cut scene, and it's not like that first bit of the game where I was trapped in a tram. This is atmosphere and immerseiveness at it's finest, to a degree I'd never seen.

Now it's done to death, but at the time it was brilliant.

Cymon's Games, free source code, tutorials, and a new game every week!
Follow me on twitter
increpare
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2008, 08:37:30 AM »

Half-Life was incredible for me. It was the first time in a game I stopped the shooting to listen because my enemies were talking about me. So I'm sitting there listening as the drama unfolds and I realize this isn't a cut scene, and it's not like that first bit of the game where I was trapped in a tram. This is atmosphere and immerseiveness at it's finest, to a degree I'd never seen.
I remember really liking the voyeuristic elements of Thief in a similar manner.
Cheater‽
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2008, 09:13:14 AM »

I remember really liking the voyeuristic elements of Thief in a similar manner.
Yeah, those were awesome.
Lucaz
Level 6

Indier than thou

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2008, 03:01:49 PM »

I Have no Mouth and I Must Scream is one of the few games that I found profound in this sense. The characters and the story, and the you take your decistion really worked.

TheViolentTango
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2008, 03:02:09 PM »

MekanikDestructiwKommando you're quite welcome! Glad you enjoyed it. It's definitely one of my favorites as well.

I've play Psychosomnium and Execution as well and they're both really great games. I enjoyed Psychosomnium a WHOLE lot.

I'll try out Passage and Gravitation today as I haven't played either. Muslim Massacre is also on my to do list. I wanted to check out what that game developer was really all about. His sites are pretty interesting, to say the least. Muslim Massacre looks to be pretty promising.

Edit: Oh WOW Lucaz! You have no idea how happy I am that you mentioned that game. I've been trying to remember the title of that game for MONTHS now!
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic