Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411419 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: timothy feriandy

April 17, 2024, 07:23:34 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesDark Souls and Bloodborne
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 355
Print
Author Topic: Dark Souls and Bloodborne  (Read 533582 times)
HöllenKobold
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1420 on: December 22, 2012, 06:04:26 PM »

God of War 3 is better/more solid gameplay-wise and the visual art on its own is top notch but it doesn't reach that artistic touch on everything like Dark Souls does.
haha

Hell pits tend to be disguised as
things that would lead a passerby to
not think of them as portals to
eternal gnashing and wailing.
Chef Boyardee
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #1421 on: December 22, 2012, 11:39:49 PM »

I hope you can do chakras/mystical chanting/meditation/sitting under a waterfall in this game. Nothing in the previous games gave any indication you could do these things but I know From Software reads this topic, and also prints out all my posts in 78 pt. font and puts them on their walls.

Check out my game

Blademasterbobo
Level 10

dum

View Profile
« Reply #1422 on: December 22, 2012, 11:41:20 PM »

you can sit under a waterfall, progress already

Hand Point Left Hand Shake Left Hand Thumbs Down Left Hand Thumbs Up Left Bro Fist Left Hand Metal Left Toast Left Hand Fork Left Hand Money Left Hand Clap Hand Any Key Tiger Hand Joystick Hand Pencil Hand Money Right Hand Knife Right Toast Right Hand Metal Right Bro Fist Right Hand Thumbs Up Right Hand Thumbs Down Right Hand Shake Right Hand Point Right
SundownKid
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1423 on: December 23, 2012, 12:13:31 AM »

While demon/darksoul is just a bit above generic art design, it's still video game art design for you, ie not having so much personality. But hey who are you to be pretentious and dare having your own style, please blend.

Yes, let's have happy cartoony art in Dark Souls! It will be so much better than making it realistic and scary! NOT!

The only exception is the Painted World. It would have been cool if it looked, ya know, painted.

I hope you can do chakras/mystical chanting/meditation/sitting under a waterfall in this game. Nothing in the previous games gave any indication you could do these things but I know From Software reads this topic, and also prints out all my posts in 78 pt. font and puts them on their walls.

Praise the *gurgle*

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #1424 on: December 23, 2012, 08:17:42 AM »

Yes just because cartoon or trippy artsy is the only other art direction possible ...

HöllenKobold
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1425 on: December 23, 2012, 11:08:29 AM »

Honestly, part of the appeal is in how derivative it is. It just feels fresh because of how the elements are instead underplayed, grounded, and there's a certain appeal in the combination, especially in regards to how architecture is used.

It would probably undermine the appeal, or completely change it, if it tried to be more unique to be honest.

Ben_Hurr
Level 10

nom nom nom

View Profile
« Reply #1426 on: December 23, 2012, 11:12:25 AM »

Inb4 everything has Darksiders' art style ingame

"HOLY SHIT I'M AN ANGRY BRICK WALL WITH A THIMBLE FOR A HEAD!"
HöllenKobold
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1427 on: December 23, 2012, 11:27:59 AM »

That's even more down the bucket of horrible aesthetic.

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #1428 on: December 23, 2012, 11:49:41 AM »

I have rightfully resist the urge to dive into the finicky of art direction :D, you have just been save from a wall of text. Thanks my flirt of the day for keeping me distracted enough and not nerd flood.

J-Snake
Level 10

A fool with a tool is still a fool.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1429 on: December 23, 2012, 02:06:06 PM »

I consider games like Dark Siders and Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning average in actual visual 3D art content. Dark Souls is in its own league.

Independent game developer with an elaborate focus on interesting gameplay, rewarding depth of play and technical quality.<br /><br />Trap Them: http://store.steampowered.com/app/375930
Blademasterbobo
Level 10

dum

View Profile
« Reply #1430 on: December 23, 2012, 05:07:35 PM »

where's that ignore script

Hand Point Left Hand Shake Left Hand Thumbs Down Left Hand Thumbs Up Left Bro Fist Left Hand Metal Left Toast Left Hand Fork Left Hand Money Left Hand Clap Hand Any Key Tiger Hand Joystick Hand Pencil Hand Money Right Hand Knife Right Toast Right Hand Metal Right Bro Fist Right Hand Thumbs Up Right Hand Thumbs Down Right Hand Shake Right Hand Point Right
SundownKid
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1431 on: December 23, 2012, 05:36:29 PM »

Darksiders' art IS cartoony. It derived from an artist of comics, and it's meant to be over the top and unrealistic. Same thing with Kingdom of Amalur, to an extent, it's bright, colorful and gives you a feeling of power. It has cool-looking monsters and lovely elf ladies.

Dark Souls might have a lot of unrealistic aspects, but in general it's supposed to give the impression that "this is not a cartoony hack and slash game, my main character is weak and frail", so realistic proportions were the way to go. I honestly don't see how the art direction could have been any better, especially since Miyazaki was inspired by traditional western fantasy works. Dark Souls is supposed to be dark, dismal, disgusting and realistic, not beautiful.

Ben_Hurr
Level 10

nom nom nom

View Profile
« Reply #1432 on: December 23, 2012, 06:01:16 PM »

I'd actually prefer it if DarkSouls I was more dreary and gross.
Right now all the above-ground areas sort of look like Twilight Town with zombies.  It's really not making me feel all this fear and aloneness that people associate with this game at all.  Concerned

Glyph
Level 10

Relax! It's all a dream! It HAS to be!

View Profile
« Reply #1433 on: December 23, 2012, 06:45:53 PM »

Eh, the game doesn't seem very dark or dreary to me at all. I don't think it's about that, it's more about getting stronger and facing the challenges and oppression ahead of you. Some areas are more oppressive than others, but it's usually (and, in my opinion, in very good design taste) tied in with something gameplay related to actually instill dread in players. Some examples: The Depths because of the threat of basilisks and curses; Tomb of the Giants because of the dark causing you to have to juggle a lantern and your shield and the skeletons, dogs, and archers forcing you to be good at it, too; Blighttown because of the constant threat of poison/toxic, etc.
I'm not going to argue if DkS's art is good or not, because I wouldn't really know. But the ways the gameplay ties into the aesthetic of some areas is quite nice.

Also: Been PvPing a lot recently. Feels good (but worrisome) walking around with a million souls. If only I could think of a way to spend them...

J-Snake
Level 10

A fool with a tool is still a fool.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1434 on: December 23, 2012, 06:57:50 PM »

I personally don't get how it is supposed to look realistic. For me the candy is that it actually looks like a bloody dark fairytale. The colors are too saturated for realistic rendering. Realism is more what Crysis 1 is trying to look like.

Independent game developer with an elaborate focus on interesting gameplay, rewarding depth of play and technical quality.<br /><br />Trap Them: http://store.steampowered.com/app/375930
Dragonmaw
« Reply #1435 on: December 23, 2012, 08:58:43 PM »

split gimmy's derailing posts.
Chef Boyardee
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #1436 on: December 23, 2012, 11:44:31 PM »

This post also applies to the next Gran Turismo.

Check out my game

Dragonmaw
« Reply #1437 on: December 24, 2012, 12:33:13 AM »

It had better also apply to Barkley 2
Chef Boyardee
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #1438 on: December 25, 2012, 07:30:11 PM »

An inside source has told me that the soundtrack is being produced by Flower Travellin' Band, White Heaven, Les Rallizes Denudes, Ginbae, The Helpful Soul, Mainliner and High Rise.

Check out my game

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #1439 on: December 26, 2012, 01:36:00 AM »

the ending credits theme is being composed by merzbow and several of the characters will be voiced by keiji haino
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 355
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic