Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411522 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 09:23:17 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesDark Souls and Bloodborne
Pages: 1 ... 80 81 [82] 83 84 ... 355
Print
Author Topic: Dark Souls and Bloodborne  (Read 534235 times)
Klaim
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1620 on: January 24, 2013, 02:48:03 AM »

in demon's souls there's no soapstone, youre just using select to both rate and write messages, and guess what, you come across tons of messages with ratings in the 100s even tho you have to press a button(!!!!) to read them. it's all the soap stone's fault.

but then demon's souls' multiplayer culture is better in general. there are less spawncampers and lagstabbers in pvp too.

Errr.... guys, in Dark Souls you open a message (A) then press select and you got the rating window...

Dragonmaw
« Reply #1621 on: January 24, 2013, 03:33:01 AM »

That was patched in. Originally you had to use the soapstone to do it.
Belimoth
Level 10

high-heeled cyberbully

View Profile
« Reply #1622 on: January 24, 2013, 04:03:16 AM »

It was one of those +1 for immersion -1 for interaction situations. Everything in games ever is a sliding scale.

zalzane
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #1623 on: January 24, 2013, 10:07:23 AM »

Oh no, consequences for failure, what is that even doing in a game like this.

The consequences for failing in dark souls doesnt typically involve knocking you down a full level every time you die. There's always the bottom line: no souls, no humanity. At that point there's no penalty for dying other than your time, which allows you to die many times to learn boss fights rather than suffer a penalty for trying to learn.

If there's a penalty for every time you die in PVP, it would be absolutely awful. You'd end up penalizing people who are trying to learn how to PVP, which isn't that great. It'd probably be better to implement the penalty once the players get better - something like dropping a fraction of souls or experience as a function of how many total kills or kills in a row the player has.
Glyph
Level 10

Relax! It's all a dream! It HAS to be!

View Profile
« Reply #1624 on: January 24, 2013, 10:49:28 AM »

It's not every time you die, it's only with the red eye stone which a player can only get after they beat the game (and with the bad ending), and which requires one to intentionally summon their opponent. Dying in normal invasions just leaves a bloodstain like usual.

Rat Casket
Level 10

i can do what i want

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1625 on: January 24, 2013, 10:54:54 AM »

It's not every time you die, it's only with the red eye stone which a player can only get after they beat the game (and with the bad ending), and which requires one to intentionally summon their opponent. Dying in normal invasions just leaves a bloodstain like usual.

Except thats not true, because you get the red soapstone in the painted world. Unless you are talking about Demons Souls?

Glyph
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1626 on: January 24, 2013, 11:12:58 AM »

Yeah I was talking about Demon's Souls. Thought we were still on that, unless someone transitioned it to a 'this should be in Dark Souls' thing and I missed it.

Klaim
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1627 on: January 24, 2013, 11:59:34 AM »

It was one of those +1 for immersion -1 for interaction situations. Everything in games ever is a sliding scale.

My guess is that they were just avoiding adding systems outside the core systems, and having all actions implemented as objects is one excellent way to achieve this.

Klaim
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1628 on: January 24, 2013, 12:03:43 PM »

The consequences for failing in dark souls doesnt typically involve knocking you down a full level every time you die. There's always the bottom line: no souls, no humanity. At that point there's no penalty for dying other than your time, which allows you to die many times to learn boss fights rather than suffer a penalty for trying to learn.

To be correct: you are not penalized until you die before getting back to your blood. What I mean is that after all you are penalized only if you are dumb enough to do something too risky or to take the way back to the blood like if it was too easy and then opening a weakness for the game to profit to kill you.

If you manage to be excellently attentive and never ever take big risks in the game, you should never be penalized. Obviously, that's impossible for human beings, but I guess that's partially what the game trains us to do, like, stop being unconcentrated.

Since I play Souls games I can concentrate better when I work, true story.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #1629 on: January 24, 2013, 12:39:12 PM »

That was patched in.
yeah and it's not mentioned anywhere in the game afaik. i think a lot of people just don't know about it.
ink.inc
« Reply #1630 on: January 24, 2013, 02:38:24 PM »

Klaim
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1631 on: January 24, 2013, 04:14:18 PM »

That was patched in.
yeah and it's not mentioned anywhere in the game afaik. i think a lot of people just don't know about it.

I discovered it because my reflexes from Demon's Soul came back in the middle of a game.
I thought I missed it in the patches logs.

Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1632 on: January 24, 2013, 05:43:00 PM »

[photos]

Where'd you get those? I'm dying for behind-the-scenes stuff about From Software/Dark Souls.
ink.inc
« Reply #1633 on: January 24, 2013, 05:44:29 PM »

http://www.facebook.com/darksouls?ref=ts&fref=ts

the official dark souls facebook page
Klaim
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1634 on: January 26, 2013, 12:20:44 PM »

Discovered Manus today.

Fucking bastard.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #1635 on: January 26, 2013, 12:38:32 PM »

[photos]

Where'd you get those? I'm dying for behind-the-scenes stuff about From Software/Dark Souls.
there was a making of dvd that came with the console special edition. it had interviews with someone from fromsoft (not miyazaki) and someone from bamco as well as a short tour around the from offices. it's not super informative or anything but it's pretty nice. you can probably find the videos on youtube or somehwere.

also
http://www.giantbomb.com/profile/7force/dark-souls-design-works-translation-creating-the-world-part-12/30-97235/
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1636 on: January 26, 2013, 09:43:24 PM »

Ooh, thanks, guys.

I did see the DVD stuff on YouTube, but unfortunately it was pretty shallow and most of the game footage was from trailers and stuff. Here it is, though, if anyone else wants to see it:

I:

II:

III: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QI_TkexroLE
phubans
Indier Than Thou
Level 10

TIG Mascot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1637 on: January 26, 2013, 11:15:30 PM »

If I knew anything about video editing, I would make a Dark Souls parody video about daily life. The dude would go to the fridge and an orange guidance message would appear on the ground:

"Need milk."

He opens the fridge and sees a carton of milk inside, sitting right on top of another message:

"Imminent diarrhea."

He shrugs and drinks the milk anyways, before bounding over in slight agony. A poisoned status meter appears and makes the sound effect as he rushes to the bathroom.

"Be wary of toilet."

He tries to flush it, but it backs up and floods the bathroom with shit water.

"I can't take this..."

zalzane
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #1638 on: January 28, 2013, 02:21:30 PM »

pursuers status: best spell in the game

It's so good I almost feel bad for using it against dickwraiths.
Glyph
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1639 on: January 28, 2013, 02:38:05 PM »

I used to try to roll through pursuers and all that fancy stuff, but more often than not, I'd get hit by it anyway due to lag. My new strategy is simply to backpedal. It works surprisingly well for how dumb it sounds. But if I see someone use pursuers it immediately turns into an anything goes fight on my end, it is indeed a very dickish spell.

That said, I'd have to say Dark Bead is the best spell in the game; the stamina/hp it eats at close range paired with its insanely short casting time makes it a force to be reckoned with. It's also nearly unpunishable unless you predict it and roll backstab, then it's only a chance. At least with pursuers you know when it's coming, and it has a backstab/attack window. If you try to attack a Dark Bead as it's coming out, you're either dead or eating a guard break.

Pages: 1 ... 80 81 [82] 83 84 ... 355
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic