Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411489 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 03:51:59 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesDark Souls and Bloodborne
Pages: 1 ... 82 83 [84] 85 86 ... 355
Print
Author Topic: Dark Souls and Bloodborne  (Read 533956 times)
Tumetsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1660 on: January 29, 2013, 09:06:23 AM »

In my last build I went with archer. I thought it was pretty fun to shoot Taurus demon's face full of arrows  Cheesy
However, I have to agree that bows should be more powerful. However, compared to mage build I had before, it was refreshing to have ranged attacks which weren't too powerful.

Another thing I hate is that I always forget to re-equip shield after using bow and accidentally enter into sniper view which leads some problems in boss battles.

Tuba
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1661 on: January 29, 2013, 11:05:13 AM »

I went Pyromancer and kill everyone with my mighty axe!

So I have a lot of strength and pretty much no dexterity, gonna try rolling under the arrows, or parry them Huh?

I always wondered but never had the courage to try... is every enemy "parriable"?

Blademasterbobo
Level 10

dum

View Profile
« Reply #1662 on: January 29, 2013, 12:00:33 PM »

no, big ones arent. strength / dex has nothing to do with movement speed / rolling / whatever, only your current equipment load does.

Hand Point Left Hand Shake Left Hand Thumbs Down Left Hand Thumbs Up Left Bro Fist Left Hand Metal Left Toast Left Hand Fork Left Hand Money Left Hand Clap Hand Any Key Tiger Hand Joystick Hand Pencil Hand Money Right Hand Knife Right Toast Right Hand Metal Right Bro Fist Right Hand Thumbs Up Right Hand Thumbs Down Right Hand Shake Right Hand Point Right
Dragonmaw
« Reply #1663 on: January 29, 2013, 12:06:17 PM »

Bows are insanely useful in Demon Ruins/Lost Izalith.
Happy Shabby Games
Level 8

msmymo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1664 on: January 29, 2013, 12:34:32 PM »

@Dragonmaw - super handy in oolacile too.

I'm stuck on Anor Londo after those weird white gargoyles, can't get pass the 2 "sword archer" guys... can't get close to them without getting hit and falling...

Any tips?

i actually streamed

of this. skip to like 33 minutes in. looking back it's probably my favorite obstacle in the game. i just ran my ass off and got lucky.

Raptor85
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1665 on: January 29, 2013, 03:01:55 PM »

I went Pyromancer and kill everyone with my mighty axe!

So I have a lot of strength and pretty much no dexterity, gonna try rolling under the arrows, or parry them Huh?

I always wondered but never had the courage to try... is every enemy "parriable"?
big enemies can be "half parried" though, which just reduces your damage and deflects attacks, though it's not terribly useful.  Those silver knights though are very parriable, probably easiest enemy to parry in the game.  When you get close they do a double cut with a sword, unless you're good at timing block the first then parry and you'll parry the slower return cut, makes them an easy kill.

-Fuzzy Spider
Klaim
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1666 on: January 30, 2013, 11:37:10 AM »

I'm stuck on Anor Londo after those weird white gargoyles, can't get pass the 2 "sword archer" guys... can't get close to them without getting hit and falling...

Any tips?

It really depends on the kind of character/weapons you have.

I have a character with heavy armor/shield/weapon so I initially thought it was unfair.

Until I remarked that, if you face the two archer, the on on the left is a bit lower altitude than the one on the right, and the one on the right is close to a wall corner.

If you are attentive to the level design, you'll then remark that they can't see each other.

Which means you can do this: run up, then on the wall, turn left running until you reach the left knight. At this point, the right knight can't hit you with arrows because of the wall. Which mean you just have to beat the knight in front of you (and not fall) and then get back to the right knight before continuing exploration.

This all imply that you use shields and can survive being hit by at least one arrow in the back once you are running on the wall.
My character have a lot of stamina and defense so no problem.

I did this several times with success.

I never tried with another kind of character.

Any tips?
I know the situation you are in. I have questioned myself many times whether it is acceptable action-design or not. I mean if the game has a focus on acrobatic action then no problem but here you usually don't expect it to be aesthetic to run on thinnest edges and get attacked.

It's borderline acceptable design but there is a way to replicate the success. Just run towards the right guy on the building and block his attacks when you come close enough. Wait a little until he gets in your reach and attack him. The remaining enemies on the left side are less problematic.

I don't agree at all. As I said I did it with a "tank" kind of character, the kind that can't really be hurt easily but can't do anything acrobatic at all.

As other said, it just force you to think more.

J-Snake
Level 10

A fool with a tool is still a fool.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1667 on: January 30, 2013, 12:29:40 PM »

There are 3 different levels of speed depending on your equipment load. 50% and 25% percent are the turning points. I am not a light-weight either, I am in the middle range, means my equipment load is always slightly below 50% and I can replicate well what I have said. It is the same approach taken in the video above. Only once you are up there you can take it more relaxed, just slowly approach forward and block his attacks until he gets to your reach.

Independent game developer with an elaborate focus on interesting gameplay, rewarding depth of play and technical quality.<br /><br />Trap Them: http://store.steampowered.com/app/375930
deathtotheweird
« Reply #1668 on: January 30, 2013, 08:26:25 PM »

http://www.destructoid.com/a-grandson-s-struggle-with-alzheimer-s-and-dark-souls-243378.phtml

this is a great article that I understand real well, since my grandfather also has Alzheimer's. I love that the game is so open to interpretation that one could come up with something like this.
Klaim
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1669 on: January 31, 2013, 03:48:16 AM »

;__;

Belimoth
Level 10

high-heeled cyberbully

View Profile
« Reply #1670 on: January 31, 2013, 03:49:27 AM »

I didn't ask for this.

Klaim
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1671 on: January 31, 2013, 04:13:16 AM »

You can't take it.

Hangedman
Level 10

Two milkmen go comedy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1672 on: January 31, 2013, 12:49:28 PM »

http://www.destructoid.com/a-grandson-s-struggle-with-alzheimer-s-and-dark-souls-243378.phtml

this is a great article that I understand real well, since my grandfather also has Alzheimer's. I love that the game is so open to interpretation that one could come up with something like this.

Excellent.

AUST
ITIAMOSIWE (Play it on NG!) - Vision
There but for the grace of unfathomably complex math go I
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #1673 on: January 31, 2013, 01:01:29 PM »

Sad

btw, its interesting that miyazaki says demon's souls (and probably dark souls too) was inspired by medieval epics because diving into the story actually is kinda sorta like reading a medieval text, as in allegory and symbolism are more important than realism.
zalzane
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #1674 on: January 31, 2013, 10:18:08 PM »

commence ng+ pity train

Blademasterbobo
Level 10

dum

View Profile
« Reply #1675 on: February 01, 2013, 12:15:22 AM »

fuck the four kings

Hand Point Left Hand Shake Left Hand Thumbs Down Left Hand Thumbs Up Left Bro Fist Left Hand Metal Left Toast Left Hand Fork Left Hand Money Left Hand Clap Hand Any Key Tiger Hand Joystick Hand Pencil Hand Money Right Hand Knife Right Toast Right Hand Metal Right Bro Fist Right Hand Thumbs Up Right Hand Thumbs Down Right Hand Shake Right Hand Point Right
TeeGee
Level 10

Huh?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1676 on: February 17, 2013, 08:00:53 AM »

Got back to playing Dark Souls. Reached Lost Isalith and the Bed of Chaos battle. Man, it's like it's a different game now. And I wouldn't pay for it.

Tom Grochowiak
MoaCube | Twitter | Facebook
Tumetsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1677 on: February 17, 2013, 10:56:12 AM »

Yeah, that is definitely the lowest point of game. But fear not, after you finish it, it will be over Smiley DLC and other areas left are way better.

TeeGee
Level 10

Huh?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1678 on: February 17, 2013, 12:58:29 PM »

Yeah. I did it precisely to get it out of the way and have only cool content ahead of me. Demon Ruins and Lost Isalith were so awful that they made me stop playing DkS for several months. I realized that if I don't get through it now, I won't ever finish the game. And I hate having unfinished games on my shelf, especially ones as good and important as this Dark Souls.

In any case -- I'm done with Bed of Chaos (the fight is total bullshit, falling floors are total bullshit, falling floors required to kill a boss are total ultra hyper bullshit). Going into the Painted World now. I don't plan on getting the DLC, though. The game is a bit too long for me as it is now. I want to be finally over with it.

Tom Grochowiak
MoaCube | Twitter | Facebook
Blademasterbobo
Level 10

dum

View Profile
« Reply #1679 on: February 17, 2013, 01:47:14 PM »

the dlc is seriously one of the best areas in the game. it's definitely worth going through. the bosses are the hardest bosses and the best bosses and it's just a great area.

Pages: 1 ... 82 83 [84] 85 86 ... 355
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic