Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411485 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58427 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 07:12:39 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesDark Souls and Bloodborne
Pages: 1 ... 90 91 [92] 93 94 ... 355
Print
Author Topic: Dark Souls and Bloodborne  (Read 533928 times)
Rat Casket
Level 10

i can do what i want

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1820 on: April 12, 2013, 08:39:36 PM »

How does cancel works in the game if any?
for example can you cancel a sword swing by blocking/parrying/evading?

Yes. But only at certain points in the swing. Usually right at the end.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #1821 on: April 13, 2013, 12:19:34 AM »

http://m.gamefaqs.com/ps3/606312-dark-souls/faqs/63195

there have been a few patches since this was written but its still useful
Klaim
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1822 on: April 13, 2013, 01:53:49 AM »

I agree with what Rabbit said. I also would like to see how this kind of combat mechanics can be reused and enhanced in future games.

About the HUD, I always wonder if it would work nicely if they did like in God Of War: the UI disappear when not needed or when you press some button. I'm not sure it would work in DS but at least it would be less radical than removing the HUD.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #1823 on: April 13, 2013, 02:15:19 AM »

actually seeing your hp at all times is important tho
Klaim
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1824 on: April 13, 2013, 02:47:58 AM »

actually seeing your hp at all times is important tho

Yes, I was thinking something like: if you use your shield or press an action button, or another non-used button(ok there is none...) then the bar appear for some seconds (like in GOW).

Or maybe just not hide the life bars, just the items part.

Tumetsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1825 on: April 13, 2013, 02:54:32 AM »

Tbh, I found DkS's hud rather unintrusive. Though I suppose it could be made more minimal but I'm not sure how these hiding schemes would work. When I play I tend to glance my items and status bars pretty often especially in battle and having that information always at hand is vital. Only hiding scheme which I think might work would be one where items are hidden when player is not in battle (detect it somehow) and hasn't pressed item related buttons in a while.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #1826 on: April 13, 2013, 04:55:54 AM »

they could fade the souls and the weapon icons in and out w/o losing much i think.

that said i agree with tumetsu re: unobstrusiveness. im actually a fan of big huds and having everything available at a glance. i dont find the hud immersion breaking either.  Shrug

also its worth noting that hud elements popping up constantly creates visual noise and can actually make the hud less readable. for instance in blade of darkess the stamina bar is only shown when you actually attack and as a result i have to refocus my attention on it everytime it shows up.
Rat Casket
Level 10

i can do what i want

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1827 on: April 13, 2013, 07:09:44 AM »

Imagine your HUD only showing up when you needed it, like in combat. You're strolling along and suddenly your HUD pops up.

It instantly ruins the fear of the unknown. For example! FEAR did this sort of. The HUD would flicker and make static noises when a ghost was around. You start to realize this and it stops being scary.

That being said, I don't think we need to know which shield/sword we have out all the time. Magic and items are important enough but I don't find myself looking in the corner to make sure I have shield A or talisman A equipped in my left hand. I already know they are there.

Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1828 on: April 13, 2013, 09:47:27 AM »

that said i agree with tumetsu re: unobstrusiveness. im actually a fan of big huds and having everything available at a glance. i dont find the hud immersion breaking either.  Shrug

I don't, either. It's part of the game, and it ends up feeling as immersion-breaking as checking your watch for the time.
Klaim
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1829 on: April 13, 2013, 10:59:25 AM »

I find the lower left part a bit too big but the rest is indeed not really noticeable while playing. I just with the lower left part was a bit less big.

Phant0m
TIGBaby

.exe

View Profile
« Reply #1830 on: April 13, 2013, 11:21:15 AM »

Imagine chariot PVP in DaS2  Smiley

baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1831 on: April 13, 2013, 01:27:15 PM »

I'd have to go with relatively unobtrusive. Yes, they could shrink the lower-left part a bit, but it's better than dealing with the too-small text that frequently accompanies HD games. And I'd have to say, seeing what items/spells you're currently using is pretty relevant. Lots of items are made for use outside of combat too. You wouldn't wait to use a "disposable souls" item in the middle of a fight, I would hope. Or a recovery/buffing spell.

Ben_Hurr
Level 10

nom nom nom

View Profile
« Reply #1832 on: April 13, 2013, 05:04:50 PM »

We keep forgetting that a game could easily accomodate both modes; There are plenty of games where you can tell the HUD to auto fade or not.  Tongue

That said, only the equip/item/magic section of the HUD really blocks view of anything, but I'm not sure what to do with it to fix that.  Making it smaller would make it unreadable for anyone with less than 1080p display, for instance.
deathtotheweird
« Reply #1833 on: April 14, 2013, 01:00:45 AM »

Yeah, exactly. I just want the option. I hate it, it looks ugly and it serves little purpose for the most part. Stamina/health is the only thing I really need to see and even then it should be hidden until I swing my weapon, pull up my shield, or get hit.

Can't think of any reason to not have the option. Even if the only option is on/off I'd play with it off. I played at least 50% of Dark Souls with it off. Not knowing your health or stamina makes things a bit more tense, but it's certainly not impossible by any means.
Klaim
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1834 on: April 14, 2013, 02:02:09 AM »

Same here, at least if the option was there we could figure if really it's better or not, or even discover it depends on how you play - because I think my way of playing don't involve much looking at the lower left part (I'm mostly a tank).

SundownKid
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1835 on: April 14, 2013, 08:59:10 AM »

I, for one, think that HUD is too important in Dark Souls to hide it, since you've got your item count which is pretty necessary to see at all times, your health/stamina which is essential, etc. Since the game is so unforgiving, you need to really keep tabs on the stuff easily.

HUD popping up would break my immersion more than having it just stay there at all times. It would prevent me from being able to "tune it out" as I play if it kept appearing and disappearing.

Klaim
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1836 on: April 14, 2013, 11:13:55 AM »

Ok, but then why did they put that option to remove the HUD completely, with no other options between?

EDIT> Oh yeah I know why: to make pretty screenshots while developing the game.

deathtotheweird
« Reply #1837 on: April 14, 2013, 11:33:21 AM »

I, for one, think that HUD is too important in Dark Souls to hide it, since you've got your item count which is pretty necessary to see at all times, your health/stamina which is essential, etc. Since the game is so unforgiving, you need to really keep tabs on the stuff easily.

I disagree. The only time where I felt at a significant disadvantage with it off is in Blighttown with the poison dart fags. I didn't want to waste my moss and estus by using them at any other point but near death.

Otherwise I just played like normal. The only true difference is that you don't know how much damage you can take, so I just tried to play as perfect as possible. If anything it probably made me better at the game.
Rat Casket
Level 10

i can do what i want

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1838 on: April 14, 2013, 12:59:25 PM »

This is like... the coolest dude I have ever heard of.

saturdaymorning
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #1839 on: April 17, 2013, 10:14:25 AM »

so i saw this elsewhere but thought it was cool

http://www.retronaut.com/2011/07/henry-viiis-horned-helmet-c-1511-1514/

apparently the roman emperor gave this helmet to henry viii  Shocked
Pages: 1 ... 90 91 [92] 93 94 ... 355
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic