Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 07:14:39 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesDark Souls and Bloodborne
Pages: 1 ... 92 93 [94] 95 96 ... 355
Print
Author Topic: Dark Souls and Bloodborne  (Read 533693 times)
Tumetsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1860 on: April 21, 2013, 04:41:02 AM »

Argh, Gwyn... he's pretty tough. Seems so doable and yet... he's relentless with his attacks so it's hard to find time to heal when I need to.

Is every one of his attacks parryable or only a few? Or one? I haven't been able to do it consistently enough.
I never parried him, though if you know how to parry he should be very easy. Just use light armor and good shield for blocking and run behind stone pillars to drink Estus. Then just go hit and run tactic unless you are confident you can stay in close-combat for extended time.

Glyph
Level 10

Relax! It's all a dream! It HAS to be!

View Profile
« Reply #1861 on: April 21, 2013, 05:44:41 AM »

You can parry basically any of Gwyn's attacks, as long as it involves him swinging his sword. You can even parry the jumping attack he does when you first enter the arena (it feels really cool). A good rule for parry timing is to watch for his weapon to pass his shoulder, then hit the button. It works most of the time.
Or yeah, you can fight him the other way by just blocking/evading all of his attacks and punishing the misses (the grab miss is really punishable).

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #1862 on: April 21, 2013, 06:00:25 AM »

i never bothered figuring out the parry timings for gwynn. i always just backtracked, waited until he did the grab and hit him with either great combustion or an R2 attack.

imo the inconsistent parry timings are one of the design faults of the game. i wouldn't mind them streamlining that in DS2.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2013, 06:08:52 AM by C.A. Sinner » Logged
Blademasterbobo
Level 10

dum

View Profile
« Reply #1863 on: April 21, 2013, 09:34:47 AM »

that'd totally break pvp

and also make the game ridiculously easy?

Hand Point Left Hand Shake Left Hand Thumbs Down Left Hand Thumbs Up Left Bro Fist Left Hand Metal Left Toast Left Hand Fork Left Hand Money Left Hand Clap Hand Any Key Tiger Hand Joystick Hand Pencil Hand Money Right Hand Knife Right Toast Right Hand Metal Right Bro Fist Right Hand Thumbs Up Right Hand Thumbs Down Right Hand Shake Right Hand Point Right
Faust06
Level 5

terminally laid-back

View Profile
« Reply #1864 on: April 21, 2013, 10:28:33 AM »

I should expand on my opinion of combat. I think my favorite aspect is having to develop some skill in "distancing" with some opponents if you're melee, the kind that rip through your stamina.. knowing when to back away and run in close. That's a dynamic that doesn't often show up in action games. Also the intuitive, rock-paper-scissors approach to pvp.
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1865 on: April 21, 2013, 11:22:46 AM »

I did it!

After some sleep I switched from medium movement to fast movement and the fight got a lot easier. I gave up on parrying and just poked him to death.

What a great game! I wish the ending was a bit longer, though. That opening CG is one of the best I've ever seen so I was hoping for something like that.

Looking forward to starting a new game at some point and trying to keep my humanity more. And do more multiplayer.
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1866 on: April 21, 2013, 11:47:23 AM »

Mad props to Pik-Sen Lim, who narrated the intro. I love that intro!

J-Snake
Level 10

A fool with a tool is still a fool.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1867 on: April 21, 2013, 12:30:39 PM »

After some sleep I switched from medium movement to fast movement and the fight got a lot easier. I gave up on parrying and just poked him to death.

What a great game!
Meh, not in terms of gameplay.

Independent game developer with an elaborate focus on interesting gameplay, rewarding depth of play and technical quality.<br /><br />Trap Them: http://store.steampowered.com/app/375930
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #1868 on: April 21, 2013, 12:33:33 PM »

that'd totally break pvp

and also make the game ridiculously easy?
i didn't mean like a button prompt or something haha, just clearer rules for when to parry a hit, so it requires less trial and error.

i'd actually be ok with removing parries and backstabs altogether.
J-Snake
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1869 on: April 21, 2013, 12:34:44 PM »

You don't need to parry at all in this game, combat design could be a lot more interesting.

Independent game developer with an elaborate focus on interesting gameplay, rewarding depth of play and technical quality.<br /><br />Trap Them: http://store.steampowered.com/app/375930
Blademasterbobo
Level 10

dum

View Profile
« Reply #1870 on: April 21, 2013, 01:29:06 PM »

trap them is a game for the hipster man

Hand Point Left Hand Shake Left Hand Thumbs Down Left Hand Thumbs Up Left Bro Fist Left Hand Metal Left Toast Left Hand Fork Left Hand Money Left Hand Clap Hand Any Key Tiger Hand Joystick Hand Pencil Hand Money Right Hand Knife Right Toast Right Hand Metal Right Bro Fist Right Hand Thumbs Up Right Hand Thumbs Down Right Hand Shake Right Hand Point Right
Bandages
« Reply #1871 on: April 21, 2013, 03:11:40 PM »

What do you mean you don't need to parry? That's flat-out wrong, so pls to explain
J-Snake
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1872 on: April 21, 2013, 04:28:04 PM »

Counter followed after block and outmaneuvering suffice. It's too simple, there is no depth.

Glyph
Level 10

Relax! It's all a dream! It HAS to be!

View Profile
« Reply #1873 on: April 21, 2013, 04:29:34 PM »

Risk/reward. Block stun. Stamina bar.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #1874 on: April 21, 2013, 04:34:05 PM »

What do you mean you don't need to parry? That's flat-out wrong, so pls to explain
i almost never parry and have completed the game several times lol

i don't do pvp though
nekokoneko
« Reply #1875 on: April 21, 2013, 04:52:32 PM »

j-snake, what games do a better job at forcing/rewarding all the different aspects of the combat to get used? I'm actually curious on this because for the most part I find darksouls pretty good at motivating the player to use the tools within the game. Although i guess the soul bonus from backstabs rules out the need to gain them from parrying, perhaps rewarding that some more. I think damage on some weapons scales better from parrys? And it allows for more opportunities to attack. In a mix/max situation you'll find a lot of the best players like vegeta will parry a lot because it gets the job done faster, at which point you could make your argument about backstabing.

I'd say a better example of a lack of depth would be Darksiders as the starting combos and occasional dodging are more than enough to get you through the game effeciently, i could check a speedrun but im almost sure theres no motivation in the game at all to use the majority of the combos.

I think the min/max angle is more ideal to seeing what is really rewarded in a games design.
Bandages
« Reply #1876 on: April 21, 2013, 05:13:07 PM »

i almost never parry and have completed the game several times lol

i don't do pvp though

Parrying is the only way I beat the Black Knights in my first playthrough.

I guess the point is it's really myopic to say "The only way you can experience this game is the way I did"
Blademasterbobo
Level 10

dum

View Profile
« Reply #1877 on: April 21, 2013, 05:18:08 PM »

jsnake thinks that god of war has better combat mechanics

just ignore him, he's an idiot

i don't get why he has to bring up his retarded views every 20 pages or so. guy's just lacking attention lately i guess

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #1878 on: April 21, 2013, 11:30:00 PM »

j-snake think go has less depth than chess because it only have one piece Shocked (paraphrasing the debate)

J-Snake
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1879 on: April 22, 2013, 02:44:38 AM »

jsnake thinks that god of war has better combat mechanics
Beat God of War 3 on hardest, then you can talk.

Quality of combat gameplay is not just the potential of a concept, it is also the composition of all elements into an actual challenge. If the created challenge is full of one-dimensional exploits it becomes dull.

Pages: 1 ... 92 93 [94] 95 96 ... 355
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic