Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411273 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 01:53:47 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesDark Souls and Bloodborne
Pages: 1 ... 95 96 [97] 98 99 ... 355
Print
Author Topic: Dark Souls and Bloodborne  (Read 526275 times)
SundownKid
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1920 on: April 27, 2013, 07:27:39 PM »

The quirkiness of Dark Souls is what makes it interesting, but I personally HIGHLY dislike the amount of exploits in PvP that makes it totally unfun to me. It's completely unbalanced against other players, but very good as far as PvE goes, which was what the game was mainly about. In PvP you can do stuff like spam magic or use backstabs without really fighting at all.

Insulting Dark Souls for being unusual is stupid, but it does have some faults that make invasions more unfun than they could be.

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #1921 on: April 27, 2013, 08:49:06 PM »

Also remember when all items had a special effect to discover? (the powder on the skull thingy turn them into faery, freeze then smash to have mana potion, etc). No we don't have that anymore (oot did it last).
ya, also the newer zeldas are littered with items that are completely useless outside of a specific type of puzzle (spinning top thing in TP for instance)

ALTP had OPTIONAL items that were USEFUL Cry

Ben_Hurr
Level 10

nom nom nom

View Profile
« Reply #1922 on: April 28, 2013, 04:12:30 PM »

Inb4 500 dudes kick down SundownKid's door for daring to talk shit about Dark Souls's PvP.  Tongue

That said, it does have it's problems though.  Parries and backstabs become very OP once you become adept at them.

Random invasions are also kind of rigged too, they suffer horribly from how you can exploit the SL based match-making system.  Particularily before Anor Londo, if you don't have fully maxed pyromancy, maxed equips, and 99 humanity you stand no chance.  It's not even about how guaranteed you are to lose, as much as how these people are just no fun to fight at all.

The way its set up currently Dark Moons or other invaders can't even target these people if they don't want to be, because their boss has to be alive to be invaded, which kind of defeats the whole point of that faction.  Dueling signs like the Red Soapstone and the Dragon Eye don't work as well as they could for the same reason.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #1923 on: April 28, 2013, 04:25:15 PM »

In PvP you can do stuff like spam magic or use backstabs without really fighting at all.
oops yeah you're right, i was thinking like singleplayer boss exploits when i made that post. i don't do a lot of pvp.
SundownKid
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1924 on: April 28, 2013, 04:26:49 PM »

I played on PC so even the PC matchmaking was completely broken. Stuff like Dragon Eye and the Darkmoon Orb and Red Soapstone don't really work - even summoning was messed up. The only way to really have any PvP fights was to become a Darkwraith - the arena was nearly empty by virtue of not being accessible from the main menu. I know they have an unofficial online patch now, but I'm afraid it runs the risk of a ban.

I had my fair share of PvP battles, but magic is really OP, and I have gotten plenty of people who just rolled around trying to lagstab. I would have to say that it's pretty unbalanced unless you agree to the rules of engagement.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #1925 on: April 29, 2013, 07:24:03 AM »

what.
Ant
« Reply #1926 on: April 29, 2013, 07:55:36 AM »

@Verdon upvoted to the mooooon  Hand Thumbs Up Right

btw folk if you click Verdon's link and don't have the app already installed it will take you to the whole gallery first. so install it then click the link again which takes you directly to his shield
« Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 08:01:30 AM by caiys » Logged
Ben_Hurr
Level 10

nom nom nom

View Profile
« Reply #1927 on: April 29, 2013, 09:44:09 AM »

I thought it was kind of stupid that you had to sign in to vote, and that shield submissions are region-locked.
Come on FROM, guys in America have good kite shield designs too!  Tongue

Anyway, many of these shields are veritable works of art, maaaan.  But alot of them don't seem to fit in with the games art style at all.  That's more FROM's fault though for not really giving any concrete specifications.

Shrug
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1928 on: April 29, 2013, 10:13:07 AM »

That shield is badass, Gabriel! Upvoted on Reddit and I hope you win. Smiley

Started my second playthrough with a Wanderer. Going for DEX and a little bit of INT, I think, for sorceries. Boy, your second time through is so different. So many bosses I thought were incredibly tough I can beat on my first try now.
J-Snake
Level 10

A fool with a tool is still a fool.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1929 on: April 29, 2013, 10:20:25 AM »

This is not directly related to gameplay discussion, but I just got my shield design approved for their contest things.

I'd really appreciate any votes! You just have to be in the top 30 to make the shortlist.

Voting is here: https://apps.facebook.com/darksoulsii/?gallery&action=view&id=2804

I also posted a thread here - I'd appreciate upvotes there as well! http://www.reddit.com/r/darksouls/comments/1dcaf5/my_shield_design_got_approved/

(Yeah you have to to sign into the dumb app thing to be able to vote... It's stupid but all it is a gallery where you can votes on the designs.)
Nice, congrats, it seems to be approved already. Only the hand looks like it is placed over the surface separately, not build in.

Independent game developer with an elaborate focus on interesting gameplay, rewarding depth of play and technical quality.<br /><br />Trap Them: http://store.steampowered.com/app/375930
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #1930 on: April 29, 2013, 10:28:50 AM »

Anyway, many of these shields are veritable works of art, maaaan.  But alot of them don't seem to fit in with the games art style at all.  That's more FROM's fault though for not really giving any concrete specifications.
dark souls 1 also has 4 user designed shields too (sanctus, bloodshield, effigy shield, black iron greatshield) and they blend in so well with the rest that i actually just had to google which ones they are lol.
SundownKid
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1931 on: April 29, 2013, 12:15:02 PM »

I'm not such a fan of the custom shields in Dark Souls, they could be better. None of them are really that fantastic. Sanctus is too brightly colored with an ugly (IMO) design, Bloodshield has a clip-arty blood drop in the center, Effigy is a straight-up HR Giger rip-off, and Black Iron is a bit bland. There are a lot of shields in this contest, including the one above, that could beat out the Dark Souls shields easily.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 12:22:42 PM by SundownKid » Logged

Ben_Hurr
Level 10

nom nom nom

View Profile
« Reply #1932 on: April 29, 2013, 04:48:56 PM »

Well, that explains why Sanctus and the Blood Shield are so goofy looking.  Cheesy

Black Iron Shield is nice in a practical sort of way, the Effigy shield could have been nice if the model wasn't so chunky.  It looks kind of like a flattened kettle bell.  Tongue

You know I like how this game continues to amaze me.  For the first time ever I've tried making a pure physical character, and I am in awe of how powerful a +10 Mace is.  Now that I've bumped up my STR to 30 for a big shield, it's two-shotting giant gold knights when two-handed.

This is my giant clubbing stick.  Cool

edit:
Oh no, upon closer examination Black Iron Shield is dumb too.  It had me going until I noticed it was caked in blood for no particular reason.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 05:08:18 PM by Ben_Hurr » Logged
SundownKid
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1933 on: April 29, 2013, 06:18:50 PM »

Speaking of blood, it would be cool if you actually could get temporarily bloody similar to Dragon Age if you slew enemies, but I guess the game was never really that bloody anyway. I would love if the armor and weapons visually reflected their damage, though. For example, one with durability 10 would look all busted up.

Never realized a pure STR character was that powerful. Makes me want to make one now =P

Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1934 on: May 01, 2013, 01:20:33 AM »

Hey, question - if I downloaded the DLC, can I access it even in a game I started before I downloaded the DLC? I'm on Xbox.

Please don't spoil how to access the DLC, though. Smiley
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #1935 on: May 01, 2013, 01:27:04 AM »

you can. or at least i could on ps3.
Uykered
« Reply #1936 on: May 01, 2013, 04:42:40 AM »

It seemed pretty obscure on how to access the DLC place, do any NPCs give you hints I can't remember?
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #1937 on: May 01, 2013, 05:00:13 AM »

it's very obscure if you're trying to actually figure it out as a puzzle but it's not THAT hard to just stumble across it (a couple of my friends did)
Blademasterbobo
Level 10

dum

View Profile
« Reply #1938 on: May 01, 2013, 08:37:41 AM »

i think phubans was using the wiki for other stuff, and he didn't even know it existed at all till he read about it in here

Hand Point Left Hand Shake Left Hand Thumbs Down Left Hand Thumbs Up Left Bro Fist Left Hand Metal Left Toast Left Hand Fork Left Hand Money Left Hand Clap Hand Any Key Tiger Hand Joystick Hand Pencil Hand Money Right Hand Knife Right Toast Right Hand Metal Right Bro Fist Right Hand Thumbs Up Right Hand Thumbs Down Right Hand Shake Right Hand Point Right
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1939 on: May 01, 2013, 09:21:29 AM »

Thanks for the DLC help, dudes! I'll see if I can figure it out.

Pages: 1 ... 95 96 [97] 98 99 ... 355
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic