Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69379 Topics- by 58435 Members - Latest Member: graysonsolis

April 30, 2024, 11:17:30 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesDark Souls and Bloodborne
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 355
Print
Author Topic: Dark Souls and Bloodborne  (Read 534354 times)
man of doom
Level 2

It's not Tom and Jerry!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: July 16, 2012, 12:55:57 PM »

Still haven't beaten Smough and Ornstein, after about 2 months trying. I did leave and do loads more exploring and defeat 3 other bosses in the meantime but now I'm back and they keep murdering my arse. I know I can beat them, it's just getting the AI to play how I want them to.

It's Ornstein first right? I tried killing Smough but Ornstein is way too fast and keeps popping in to defend him. So hard to get close enough to attack Super Smough though...

Also Painted World is one of the best bits of the game so far.

http://manofdoom.co.uk
Where all my stuff is at!
http://soundcloud.com/man-of-doom
Various musical stuff of mine
Fallsburg
Level 10

Fear the CircleCat

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 16, 2012, 06:07:03 PM »

Oh my god, I actually killed the Capra Demon! Actually, my first instinct was to go on the right side, but I kept getting stuck on the columns. The strategy I developed that was somewhat successful was running forward a bit to bait his jump attack, rolling back to dodge it, and then stabbing the first dog. From there I'd block his close up attacks and try to run for it when I could.

But there are still so many things that can go wrong - in the end I do feel like I got pretty lucky.

And yeah, shoot - sucks about the merchant. Although I'm reading that you can buy absolution from a dude to unaggro the NPCs. Also, apparently that guy also sells purging stones for cheaper than the old woman.
Yeah, the key is to avoid the first attack by the Capra demon and then take out the dogs.  If you do that, the rest of it is so easy.
klabelkholosh
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 17, 2012, 05:12:54 AM »

Still haven't beaten Smough and Ornstein, after about 2 months trying. I did leave and do loads more exploring and defeat 3 other bosses in the meantime but now I'm back and they keep murdering my arse. I know I can beat them, it's just getting the AI to play how I want them to.Also Painted World is one of the best bits of the game so far.

I guess it depends on your build/playstyle... I was playing as a melee character, as maneuverable as possible, the only way I managed to defeat them was to get a pillar between myself and Smough so that he was basically running/jumping against it ineffectually, then toe-to-toe with Ornstein while Smough was pillar bound, then hoping to luck out with Super Smough that he wouldn't use his horrible kill-everything area attack. Also it helped to have the Eagle Shield at least for 100% damage reduction, also having that summonable NPC from the previous hall. Took me long enough  Facepalm but such an epic battle, my favourite by far!

That chick let my frog out
I mean it hopped and hopped, out into space
Adrian's gone, gone
FrankieSmileShow
Level 6

OOOOOH! >:O

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: July 17, 2012, 09:37:58 AM »

Its strange, I dont remember having that much of a hard time against them. I think I died once or twice against em, my build the classic knight + sword with medium armor and large shield, no magic.

If you have a supreme hard time, I guess try to summon a friend or two? My cousin was playing as a wizard, he had the hardest of times beating em, but as soon as he got some outside help they were a lot simpler.

On the other hand I had such a hard time beating sens' fortress.... I died sooo many times there. I died more there than against the two infamous archers of Anor Londo.

Another place I was stuck at for a long time was the painted world of Ariamis. I got the misfortune of being trapped there the very first time I saw the painting, with a very low level and no solid means of attacking at a distance or protection/resistance to poisons, which is very bad news in that area!

I really love how much your character build affects where the games' tough spots are going to be. It was the same for Demon's Souls. It really feels like everyone's experience of the game ends up being very different. Its exciting! I really hope From Software is working on a new one right now.........
« Last Edit: July 17, 2012, 09:47:09 AM by FrankieSmileShow » Logged

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 17, 2012, 10:03:54 AM »

Most bosses are easy in co-op because co-op is p much E-Z mode Wink
FrankieSmileShow
Level 6

OOOOOH! >:O

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: July 17, 2012, 10:06:16 AM »

Actually I wonder if the bosses or enemies become a little bit harder, get a bit of extra life or get a different AI or something depending on how many players there are.

klabelkholosh
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 17, 2012, 10:31:31 AM »

Sen's Fortress is just such a badass level. I love the way it's designed.. like this compact, cruel, deadly little box, and then the feeling when you get out to the roof and discover the source of the rolling stones

That chick let my frog out
I mean it hopped and hopped, out into space
Adrian's gone, gone
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 17, 2012, 10:53:59 AM »

Actually I wonder if the bosses or enemies become a little bit harder, get a bit of extra life or get a different AI or something depending on how many players there are.
They don't scale AFAIK. I mean the whole purpose of co-op in the Souls is that players can help each other out. It's a different philosophy from something like Diablo.
man of doom
Level 2

It's not Tom and Jerry!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: July 17, 2012, 01:17:49 PM »

Wow this game is way easier in co-op. I hadn't tried it til now because I'm extremely awkward about social interaction online but we owned those two.

Cheers for the advice anyway, turns out the guy I was playing with was a badass so he killed Smough for me whilst I distracted Ornstein, then he was tough enough to tank loads of his attacks so I could stab his legs. Sounds like I have a similar character build to you but I do pyromancy too.

Guess it's time to continue the epic adventure that is Dark Souls then!

http://manofdoom.co.uk
Where all my stuff is at!
http://soundcloud.com/man-of-doom
Various musical stuff of mine
Trevor Dunbar
Level 10

Working on unannouned fighting game.

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 17, 2012, 03:03:42 PM »

I'm extremely bummed about the PC version using GFWL, probably not going to buy it, GFWL is THAT bad.

Toucantastic.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 17, 2012, 03:22:29 PM »

Why don't they just take a few months extra and make a proper port? They could even outsource it to a dev team that isnt completely clueless when it comes to PC development. Tho I guess all things considered Dark Souls is still a mid-budget niche game so Namco probably isn't seeing enough money in it for that.

Still probably gonna buy it because I have a reputation as the biggest Souls fantard in the known universe to uphold.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2012, 03:27:52 PM by C.A. Sinclair » Logged
saturdaymorning
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 18, 2012, 03:39:58 PM »

The only game I've played with GFWL is Street Fighter. It didn't bother me at all. Is there a physical disc release planned for this? Planning on triple dipping on this beezy regardless, but it'd be pretty sweet if I could spend more money on a Limited Prepare to Die, Collectors edition.

I'm gonna do a (cross)bows only run when this comes out.
deathtotheweird
« Reply #72 on: July 18, 2012, 04:20:32 PM »

when it does work gfwl isn't that bad. problem is just getting it to work. the auto-update never seems to work, and I always have to reinstall it every time I install a new game that has it. and I know that it's not just me or my computer because Googling for solutions I see many people with the same issues.

gfwl wouldn't stop me from buying it, but a poor quality port would. which from all the previews so far, indicates that it will be. such as the one here: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-06-07-from-software-having-a-tough-time-porting-dark-souls-to-pc-frame-rate-issues-remain

I'll probably 'download' it and see what the fuss is about. and then make a decision on whether to buy it. unless they make a demo, that would be nice. but that's probably asking too much, hardly anyone makes demos anymore.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 18, 2012, 04:23:49 PM »

Welcome to the forums, Onionbro!

The only game I ever played with GFWL was Dawn of War 2 which is GFWL + Steam as well. Couldn't even get that shit to run (though tbh I didn't try very hard).

Yeah there'll a physical disc version which has GFWL but no Steam. That's most likely the one I'm going to get because 1 type of DRM is enough for me thankyouverymuch.
Uykered
« Reply #74 on: July 18, 2012, 04:46:34 PM »

Just because they're having framerate problems in certain areas doesn't mean its going to go down to 15 FPS, on computer it might go from 70 FPS to 60. lol
J-Snake
Level 10

A fool with a tool is still a fool.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: August 05, 2012, 01:29:30 PM »

So I bought Dark Souls. Let's see it can provide the stuff I have searched for.

Independent game developer with an elaborate focus on interesting gameplay, rewarding depth of play and technical quality.<br /><br />Trap Them: http://store.steampowered.com/app/375930
deathtotheweird
« Reply #76 on: August 05, 2012, 06:17:58 PM »

Just because they're having framerate problems in certain areas doesn't mean its going to go down to 15 FPS, on computer it might go from 70 FPS to 60. lol

yeah..except they said it's going to be locked at 30fps.

more than likely some user will 'fix' that limitation though, like they did for LA Noire. wonder what kind of effect it would have on Dark Souls? in LA Noire changing the fps messed with the car driving physics.
saturdaymorning
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 05, 2012, 07:20:26 PM »

Check it out onion bros, PC manual is available on Steam.. What do you guys think of the keyboard/mouse implementation?

iffi
« Reply #78 on: August 05, 2012, 08:02:49 PM »

I feel sorry for anybody trying to hold up their shield (LShift) while walking (Ctrl + WASD).

Also from the manual: "To prevent latency issues and frequent disconnections, there is a low FPS feature implemented where if your FPS drops below 15 for 30 seconds, your game will automatically be disconnected from the online session and will return to the title screen."

...should I be worried? (answer: GFWL, FPS lock)
deathtotheweird
« Reply #79 on: August 05, 2012, 09:12:21 PM »

even if you're playing solo? it doesn't really say. I guess it's not a big deal, if you're running less than 15fps for 30 seconds then that isn't really playable to begin with.

controls look awkward but it's not like it will be the first pc port of a console game with shit controls. assassins creed, arkham city and arkham asylum, and alan wake were all pretty unplayable with the mouse/keyboard.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 355
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic