Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 04:23:01 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesDark Souls and Bloodborne
Pages: 1 ... 324 325 [326] 327 328 ... 355
Print
Author Topic: Dark Souls and Bloodborne  (Read 534069 times)
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #6500 on: April 27, 2016, 04:48:17 PM »

nioh is interesting but i don't really like it in its current state. the combat and animations feel jerky, controls and hud are confusing, difficulty seems way over the top (you get 1shot by trash enemies). i did enjoy the atmosphere and music tho and it has a cool setting that is markedly different from souls.

i mean seeing as it's an alpha, it does have a lot of potential tho. it could transcend the souls clone status and become its own thing with some of the same base ingredients.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #6501 on: April 28, 2016, 05:37:54 AM »

Oh btw some more thoughts on DkS3:

1. Sorry but I still have issues with the boss design. Most of the bosses seem geared towards maximum pressure all the time and punishment at all ranges which makes them very hard to beat with anything other than fast melee weapons. Also some of them have one attack that is really easy to dodge but 1shots you if you don't (for example the dancer's grab or the soul of cinders' juggle combo in its second form). So fucking up one dodge can get you killed which is annoying especially in a long fight like the final one.

2. Level design is a mixed bag, just like with the other 2 DkS games. Actually I think Dks3 vs Bborne is a lot like Dks1 vs Demons Souls: More variety, the highs are higher and the lows are lower.

3. This was the most immediately emotionally affecting Souls game. I think it's partially because the dialog writing is a little different. NPCs act more a tiny bit more like real people now.

4. I'm not deep into the lore yet, but like I said, I did enjoy the clearer connections to previous games. It feels appropriate for a series finale to revisit old stuff. I like that the game shies away from some kind of  "epic" twist that explains everything. Souls lore was always about headcanons and mystery rather than satisfying conclusions anyway.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #6502 on: April 28, 2016, 05:38:42 AM »

Btw is it true that poise literally does nothing in this game, or is that just internet hyperbole?
Dragonmaw
« Reply #6503 on: April 28, 2016, 06:42:25 AM »

Poise is turned off for player characters. You have to flip a hex value in the game to turn it on, but if you do, you get softbanned from online.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #6504 on: April 28, 2016, 07:41:32 AM »

Ya, but armors have visible poise stats and shit, hard to believe that it would just do nothing. Sure, you can enable the old poise system via a hack (a relic from the old engine probably) but I wanna know if poise has some alternate effect maybe.
Rat Casket
Level 10

i can do what i want

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6505 on: April 28, 2016, 08:06:26 AM »

Most of the bosses seem geared towards maximum pressure all the time and punishment at all ranges which makes them very hard to beat with anything other than fast melee weapons. Also some of them have one attack that is really easy to dodge but 1shots you if you don't (for example the dancer's grab or the soul of cinders' juggle combo in its second form). So fucking up one dodge can get you killed which is annoying especially in a long fight like the final one.

Well thats just not true lol.

joseph ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #6506 on: April 28, 2016, 09:55:28 AM »

I think we can all agree the bosses are frequently cheap/shitty, and doing 2 fight boss rushes in a osuls game is suuuuper obnoxious (effectively your bonfire run includes a whole fucking boss you have to beat most of the time), regardless of the exact reasons we don't like the bosses (i thought they encouraged way too much poking/defensive play, personally)

nioh demo is super good, but im dubious about how it will scale over a whole game. Already seems like progression is kinda flat in just the amount of content in the demo. CA: early mobs legitimately arent hard if you're playing the game even 'competently', but it does a horrible job teaching you the mechanics. you should give it a lil more time (if you have the patience to figure out a game with really badly communicated systems), the way the design approaches 'souls style' stamina management is interesting. (My motive here is I want people to discuss it with who aren't neogaf sludge)

Mark Mayers
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6507 on: April 28, 2016, 10:12:20 AM »

Poise is turned off for player characters. You have to flip a hex value in the game to turn it on, but if you do, you get softbanned from online.

Seriously? That's pretty crazy. Didn't DSI and DSII have poise stats for players?
*Edit: Players as in during PVP

Desolus Twitter: @DesolusDev Website: http://www.desolus.com DevLog: On TIG!
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #6508 on: April 28, 2016, 10:12:58 AM »

tbh i would probably get into the nioh demo more if it was released at literally any other time. souls-type games require lots of active engagement (especially for someone as bad at action games as me) and have a learning curve and i just can't split my attention between two of them at the same time. at the moment i would rather just replay dks3 (which im doing RITE NOW) than play nioh.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #6509 on: April 28, 2016, 10:29:20 AM »

btw am i the only one who wants Fromsoft to revisit and improve/flesh out chalice dungeons in a future soulslike game? actually if they made a spinoff that focused exclusively on random dungeon crawling and was more "roguelike" than the chalices, i would play the SHIT out of that.
Dragonmaw
« Reply #6510 on: April 28, 2016, 10:40:50 AM »

nioh demo is super good, but im dubious about how it will scale over a whole game. Already seems like progression is kinda flat in just the amount of content in the demo. CA: early mobs legitimately arent hard if you're playing the game even 'competently', but it does a horrible job teaching you the mechanics. you should give it a lil more time (if you have the patience to figure out a game with really badly communicated systems), the way the design approaches 'souls style' stamina management is interesting. (My motive here is I want people to discuss it with who aren't neogaf sludge)

yeah the biggest problem with nioh is that it doesn't communicate its systems effectively. for example, ki pulse is a pretty important thing for maintaining attack pressure, but its intricacies are never mentioned and you only know about it either through a loading screen deal or by accidentally doing it.

besides that, there's a lot that's neat. i like that bloodstains are NPCs of real players that you can summon and fight, for example.
Thomas Finch
Level 8

@slowcircuit

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6511 on: April 28, 2016, 12:28:42 PM »

btw am i the only one who wants Fromsoft to revisit and improve/flesh out chalice dungeons in a future soulslike game? actually if they made a spinoff that focused exclusively on random dungeon crawling and was more "roguelike" than the chalices, i would play the SHIT out of that.

I loved the Chalice Dungeons. I was disappointed there wasn't a similar system in Dark Souls 3.

joseph ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #6512 on: April 28, 2016, 01:17:38 PM »

more important thing for from to revisit: can fromsoft make an Otogi Souls now that dks is over?

DJFloppyFish
« Reply #6513 on: April 29, 2016, 06:40:50 PM »

Nearing the end of a second playthrough. I was really enjoying my strength build but I feel completely unable to do the later game bosses without taking a few hits (their randomly chaining combos and my recovery frames after swinging a fat machete are to blame methinks) and it's kinda souring me on playing more. I know I just need to focus and get the moves down, but it's not like I can't kill them in a few tries so I'm zombie-ing through the fights regardless. I think I'm getting kinda burnt out. I'll probably be taking a long break from these games soon.

This might be the best Souls game, but it's like I ate too much candy. I can't take anymore right now.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #6514 on: April 29, 2016, 07:05:09 PM »

I think I'm getting kinda burnt out. I'll probably be taking a long break from these games soon.

i think that's normal tbh. i mean i've kinda burned out on souls games several times already despite being a huge fanboy of them since pretty much day one. i didn't play a lot of souls throughout 2013 for instance and tbh i'm not sure if i will ever play through dks1 again.

that said, my first playthrough was mostly blind and i literally fucked up every single npc questline (this game has the most complex npc interactions of any souls game btw) as well as the ending i was going for. i also missed both smouldering lake AND archdragon peak. so there's still a lot of stuff for me to explore. i actually just found some small hidden areas in the road of sacrifices that i missed.

i don't think we really need anymore souls games in the foreseeable future tho after the DLCs come out. they made 5 great games (yes even dark souls 2 is great despite its flaws) and this feels like the right time to quit. if they announced a dark souls 4 at E3 this year, i would still buy it probably, but not be super excited for it.

miyazaki seemed very definitive about this being the end of souls games for now. iirc his words were something like "maybe if someone approaches me about it in 5 years we can make another one" or sth along those lines.

btw, also apparently the two dlcs are going to be "large" and are coming out in late 2016 and early 2017. so they are taking their time with them, which is good. and seeing as DLC has so far always been among the best content in souls games i'm pretty pumped tbh. having two DLCs of the size and quality of old hunters would be freaking rad as heck.
Thomas Finch
Level 8

@slowcircuit

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6515 on: April 29, 2016, 07:10:10 PM »

I only really started playing the series like 7 months ago, but since then I've played every Soulsborne game entirely. Somehow I'm not burnt out at all. I've put 130 hours into DS3 so far. I'll probably put in 1000.

JWK5
« Reply #6516 on: April 29, 2016, 08:25:30 PM »

I cycle through games, I am on a Souls-break to play through Gravity Rush: Remastered (love this game, can't wait for the sequel which was already announced for the PS4). I won't stay away from DS3 for too long though, the game is just too good.
Thomas Finch
Level 8

@slowcircuit

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6517 on: April 29, 2016, 09:06:00 PM »

We should plan a tigsource fight club night.

zilluss
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #6518 on: April 30, 2016, 01:01:05 AM »

Ok so I got DS 1 and played for about 2~3 hours. Are the controls and collision detection actually terrible or am I just bad at this game?

@zilluss | Devlog  Hand Point Right
Thomas Finch
Level 8

@slowcircuit

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6519 on: April 30, 2016, 02:41:34 AM »

Ok so I got DS 1 and played for about 2~3 hours. Are the controls and collision detection actually terrible or am I just bad at this game?

The hit boxes of DS1 are definitely not good.

Pages: 1 ... 324 325 [326] 327 328 ... 355
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic