Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411279 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 05:00:44 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesDark Souls and Bloodborne
Pages: 1 ... 326 327 [328] 329 330 ... 355
Print
Author Topic: Dark Souls and Bloodborne  (Read 526686 times)
Raptor85
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6540 on: May 02, 2016, 03:01:17 PM »

for me it's DkS3 > BB > DkS1 > Dks2 > DeS as far as difficulty.
honestly it's hard to put dks2 anywhere on the list, part of what i hated in that games design is that the game itself was stupidly easy it just had a lot of surprise oneshots that were impossible to avoid the first time through making it a bit frustrating first playthrough. (made it feel a lot harder than it actually was)

Also, gotta say, DKS3 is without a doubt in my mind the best game in the series, even ignoring the huge flaws in the pc port (needing to use inputmapper to use my controller and having to drop my computer into the dmz while playing as the game drops to menu all the time if you play behind a router). The world is just beautiful and the interconnections are just mindblowingly well thought out, then mechanically it's got by far the best combat and pvp in the series.

-Fuzzy Spider
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #6541 on: May 02, 2016, 04:00:16 PM »

honestly it's hard to put dks2 anywhere on the list, part of what i hated in that games design is that the game itself was stupidly easy it just had a lot of surprise oneshots that were impossible to avoid the first time through making it a bit frustrating first playthrough. (made it feel a lot harder than it actually was)

i replayed demon's souls a short while ago and it's definitely easier than dks2. so many exploits and downright broken builds in that game. plus, all the bosses are really easy, especially if you're familiar with their harder equivalents in later souls games.

btw, one thing i like about demon's is the fact that you can get good gear for pretty much every build very early if you know where to look. so you can start unlocking your build's potential right away.

this is actually one thing that kinda annoys me about both bloodborne and dks3: due to the more linear progression in those games, you can't fully use some builds to your advantage until very late. for example as a pyro, you have to wait until smouldering lake which is in the last 1/3rd of the game to get the really good pyromancies. i mean they did a better job with the distribution of stuff in dks3 than in bborne, where playing an arcane build meant gimping yourself for most of NG, but still...

DJFloppyFish
« Reply #6542 on: May 04, 2016, 07:57:49 AM »

Is magic as bad as people are saying?
Dragonmaw
« Reply #6543 on: May 04, 2016, 09:09:22 AM »

All magic that isn't a self-buff or point blank explosion is terrible in PvP.

Miracles are really bad in early game (until you get damaging miracles and the faster cast speed ring).

Sorceries and Pyromancies are okay in early game, but not as good as a simple infused weapon of choice.

All magics scale really well in PvE in the late game, to the point that magic is probably the best route for NG+ and beyond.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #6544 on: May 04, 2016, 09:10:44 AM »

is there any souls game where miracles aren't terrible?

ok bloodborne because miracles don't exist there.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #6545 on: May 05, 2016, 04:52:18 PM »

btw interesting thing i noticed: dark souls 3 kinda does the same thing to dks2 lore that dks2 did to dks1 lore, i.e. downplay characters and events a lot. it also bigs up dks1 canon. clash of director egos?

EDIT: example of what i mean: gwyn was THE central character in dks1 (well actually it was gwyndolin but u know wat i mean). in dks2 there are only a handful of references to him and they're all like "uh yeah that guy". he is never even mentioned by name. the same thing is done with vendrick in dks3, he is only referred to obliquely as "the old king of want" and only a handful of times in item descriptions. at the same time, gwyn is front and center again, called the "first lord of cinder" and even has a cameo of sorts, this in spite of him being referred to as "long forgotten" in dks2.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2016, 05:45:13 PM by Silbereisen » Logged
Raptor85
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6546 on: May 05, 2016, 05:28:35 PM »

is there any souls game where miracles aren't terrible?

ok bloodborne because miracles don't exist there.
miracles are super strong pve and dmb is ridiculous in pvp in dks1, and in dks2 just absolutely broken, in 3 tears of denial makes the entire game trivial.  I'd say miracles are the strongest magic class when used properly in all 3 games.

-Fuzzy Spider
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #6547 on: May 05, 2016, 05:50:27 PM »

when did you last play dks2? because faith/miracles were nerfed to shit at some point. i literally gave up on a faith playthrough because it was just no fun to play with such a weak character.

i guess miracles are good in dks1 but i just don't find them very interesting to play with (same in demon's souls btw, tho melee faith is one of the most OP builds there). there are fewer options as far as offensive spells compared to sorcery and pyro and the support spells are "nice to have" but nothing all that special. they mostly just save you some consumables.
DJFloppyFish
« Reply #6548 on: May 05, 2016, 07:12:08 PM »

there are some great expansions/twists on the lore of the series but i honestly felt like they could've gone further. i dunno, im probably missing all the important item descriptions. the dlc will probably reference more stuff and ill feel satisfied.

I'm at 70+ hours of playtime and those icy outrider knights still consistently trash me. I don't die to them very much but I end up draining most of my estus fighting them yeesh.

also they nerfed vordt so that he doesn't stagger out of his ice breath. poor vordt. i killed him in 40 seconds on NG+. poor vork
Raptor85
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6549 on: May 05, 2016, 07:16:45 PM »

when did you last play dks2?
not in a long time, didn't particularly enjoy it so after I'd completed all the major things (all bosses, all covenants, etc) pretty much shelved it and haven't played it since. Lightning spears combined with great heal excerpt all available from fairly early game combined with the easy access to items that refresh spell uses made the whole game a cakewalk, especially since much like in dks1 everything in the game is weak to lightning (though in 2 a lot has fire weakness also). With how aggressive mobs were in 2 it also made force a pretty op spell for quickly getting through areas, force and emit force also broke huge amounts of those poison statues with one cast so it made that whole area simple.  If you leveled up the faith for them too sunlight spear was retarded in dks2, it was damn near a oneshot in pvp and chunked all bosses for most of their health and you could spam the living shit out of it due to how easy it was to buy herbs.

dks2 is really the only exception to faith being the strongest damagewise though, but that's just because the hexes in dks2 were so brokenly OP it wasn't even funny, and the fact that some bosses had such hilariously low fire resist that a well placed firestorm nearly oneshots them. Darklurker in particular was pathetic, he died in 2-3 well placed pyro or faith spells, which was a shame because he was otherwise one of the coolest looking things in the entire game.

-Fuzzy Spider
JWK5
« Reply #6550 on: May 06, 2016, 05:36:22 AM »

"Dark Souls 3 PC Cheater Spent Hours Streaming Their Exploits This Weekend"

“Fix your game, FromSoft,” says their Steam profile, linking to a YouTube video alleging hacking. “IF YOUR SCREEN LOOKS LIKE THIS YOU HAVE BEEN VISTED BY THE MALCOLM REYNOLDS OF BROKEN ITEMS.”

Here’s that “screen”:

If encountering a player like Malcolm Reynolds means game data is tainted, however, you might be in trouble without a backup. Fortunately, reddit user EntityZero created a tool to automatically backup your save. If you’re playing online on PC, you should use something like this.
InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #6551 on: May 06, 2016, 08:35:33 AM »

Still havent beat Dks3 yet but I've always thought of Demons as the hardest for me. Maybe I need to go back and replay it to be sure as it was the first in the series that I played.

Dks3 I find sort of similar to Dks in difficulty so far (30 hours in so far. About 7 pages unlocked)

JWK5
« Reply #6552 on: May 06, 2016, 08:41:41 AM »

I found these comic strips pretty funny: Dork Souls
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #6553 on: May 06, 2016, 10:32:22 AM »

WELP playing offline until the situation is resolved then. this is like "glory days" of dks2 where cheaters could corrupt your save data if they invaded you.
InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #6554 on: May 06, 2016, 10:59:36 AM »

I guess this doesnt affect PS4? Because I've had no issues at all.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #6555 on: May 06, 2016, 11:08:52 AM »

yes hackers are mainly a PC issue. idk if there's even any way to cheat on PS4 currently.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #6556 on: May 06, 2016, 02:19:08 PM »

woah, wolnir becomes a lot less annoying if you go for his right arm first. i just downed him before he could even summon any skeletons.

btw the name wolnir reminds me of wollny, which is the name of a family of german reality tv "stars"
tortoiseandcrow
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #6557 on: May 07, 2016, 01:24:38 PM »

Oh man, I'm having such a great time with DS3. I finished Dark Souls two days before Dark Souls 3 came out, and just carried on to that, and it feels great. Dark Souls was stranger, sparser and more mythic in its structure, but I love DS3 for its baroque opulence. The very fact that "Lord of Cinder" has become an institutionalized title within a religious hierarchy, given out before the necessity of rekindling the flame even occurs, tells you so much about the world and how it has changed in the centuries that followed.

I'm in the late game now, and after a serious slump of disinterest after defeating all of the Lords of Cinder and encountering the least impressive entrance to an area ever (seriously, I needed a chalice and an awesome self-beheading statue in order to access a ladder? My reaction, in sequence: a) I'm not impressed by anything that can be overcome by standing on a chair, and b) "Welcome to Lothric Castle, Ambassador, if you'll just follow me up the royal ladder...") the game has sunk its hooks deep into me again. Already looking forward to my next playthrough.

So far the only boss that I haven't been completely blown away by has been slimybastard. Just wasn't quite slimy enough for me. With all the horrible stuff you hear about him, I was expecting something way more intimidating and awful. The lead-up to the arena, with all its obvious degredation, was incredible though.

For folks past the Dancer, who went up, rather than down, did you notice how the dragonslayer armour looked and moved a lot like Artorias? I love that he had his own set of Havel-style armour. He clearly still casts such a tremendous shadow across the history of the world.

Also also: Something something is very clearly wrong with the geology of Lothric. Standing at the Anor Londo cathedral and looking out, everything in DS1 should be down and to the left. But instead of the barrier wall separating Anor Londo from Lordran, there's a massive hole and an expanse of water, with a large anomalous landmass topped by Lothric Castle up and to the right. It seems to me like there may have been a pretty catastrophic explosion to move that amount of stone, possibly when the Kiln was last lit? I had my suspicions that it had something to do with the Profaned Flame, but that's supposed to have come from the sky, and only melted human flesh...
Thomas Finch
Level 8

@slowcircuit

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6558 on: May 07, 2016, 01:47:46 PM »

(seriously, I needed a chalice and an awesome self-beheading statue in order to access a ladder? My reaction, in sequence: a) I'm not impressed by anything that can be overcome by standing on a chair, and b) "Welcome to Lothric Castle, Ambassador, if you'll just follow me up the royal ladder...")

I think that's meant to be a back/side entrance to Lothric Castle.

Also also: Something something is very clearly wrong with the geology of Lothric. Standing at the Anor Londo cathedral and looking out, everything in DS1 should be down and to the left. But instead of the barrier wall separating Anor Londo from Lordran, there's a massive hole and an expanse of water, with a large anomalous landmass topped by Lothric Castle up and to the right. It seems to me like there may have been a pretty catastrophic explosion to move that amount of stone, possibly when the Kiln was last lit? I had my suspicions that it had something to do with the Profaned Flame, but that's supposed to have come from the sky, and only melted human flesh...

There's a few hints throughout the game that parts of the world as it currently is just suddenly appeared. There's also theories that the painted world of Ariamis leaked out and merged with Anor Londo creating Irithyll.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #6559 on: May 07, 2016, 04:38:59 PM »

Oh man, I'm having such a great time with DS3. I finished Dark Souls two days before Dark Souls 3 came out, and just carried on to that, and it feels great. Dark Souls was stranger, sparser and more mythic in its structure, but I love DS3 for its baroque opulence.

yeah i like that too. i think it's fitting for a series finale to do that. i like how decadent all the castles and etc look. gives off the vibe of a world ruled by powerful and corrupt royalty. i mean ok, some of it may be due to advances in tech, but it's still a nice thought.

also fwiw dark souls 1 was already more "epic" than demon's souls was, so it's not surprising that the series progressed in this direction. the dark souls series in general is more high fantasy than demon's and bloodborne (but of course it's a really nice and fresh twist on high fantasy).
« Last Edit: May 07, 2016, 04:47:02 PM by Silbereisen » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 326 327 [328] 329 330 ... 355
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic