Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411273 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 01:17:08 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesDark Souls and Bloodborne
Pages: 1 ... 334 335 [336] 337 338 ... 355
Print
Author Topic: Dark Souls and Bloodborne  (Read 526272 times)
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #6700 on: May 22, 2016, 08:27:21 PM »

FIXED

DJFloppyFish
« Reply #6701 on: May 22, 2016, 08:29:37 PM »

THANK YOU

ill fix my original post now.

fyi dude has a lot more cut content on his channel
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #6702 on: May 23, 2016, 01:16:52 PM »

- git gud
- haunted houses
- castlevania

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #6703 on: May 23, 2016, 05:05:25 PM »

i don't understand why some people are so terrified of invasions in souls games. at best they're kind of funny and awkward spontaneous interactions, at worst it's just another death that loses you a few minutes of progress tops. besides if you have co-op players with you and theyre halfway competent, the odds are stacked against the invader in the first place. i mean idk how often people get invaded, but for me it's actually very rare in both dks2 and 3. the fact that errant signal feels "judged" says more about his attitude than about the game tbh.

also git gud started out as a shorthand to basically dismiss haters, but ofc as the souls community grew and attracted more tryhards it took on a more toxic meaning. im really annoyed by all the faux "hardcore gamer" posturing surrounding these games bc i feel like it's driving people away from experiencing some of the best and most original action rpgs in the universe. well tbf, any sort of posturing and pointless elitism annoys me haha.

it's actually weird to me that souls isn't much more polarizing than it is tbh, because it does so many non-standard and weird things (even if later games are a tiny bit more "normal").
« Last Edit: May 23, 2016, 05:33:12 PM by Silbereisen » Logged
SousaVilla
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #6704 on: May 23, 2016, 05:47:19 PM »

People just get too salty with lose states and errant doesnt seems to be different. Some games though, souls games but others like dwarf fortress, teach to consider each lost as a learning experience, to become less attached to immediate victory and even enjoy the whole process of losing and improving every time.

"The game invasion mechanic is basically a mode for trolls who want to make other people miserable" That's how he describes the pvp. He doesnt even consider the fact that maybe being invaded could be a thrilling experience even if you die, that each invasion could create a unique and fun situation, that a long duel with someone, full of comebacks and running around, could be a great experience no matter who wins. Losing is a miserable experience for him, instead of being just a possible consequence of an exciting fight.

Winning is not everything in these games, its all about the process. That being said, there's a lot of jerks in the souls community that can be really irritating and this could have influenced his opinions on the matter.  
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #6705 on: May 23, 2016, 05:57:16 PM »

also darksouls emote culture

Capntastic
Community Friendlord
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6706 on: May 23, 2016, 06:07:34 PM »

I decided that I hate roofs and spent a few minutes exploring a forest and now I also hate statues
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #6707 on: May 23, 2016, 06:10:46 PM »

also tbh i got more frustrated dying in the new doom than i ever got in a souls game. souls games have probably the most sensible approach to autosaving and checkpoints ever. they don't make you repeat pointless shit like picking up items, leveling, activating switches etc but still have the thrill that comes with death being meaningful and setting you back. i don't mind repeating fights in an action oriented game because those are fun (hopefully!). doom often makes me pick up the same health pack or "uncover" the same secret 10 times in a row when i die a lot and, well, fuck that.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #6708 on: May 23, 2016, 06:13:24 PM »

I decided that I hate roofs and spent a few minutes exploring a forest and now I also hate statues

haha

keep in mind that those guys are really really slow, even if they use their spell on you. you can easily circle around them and kill them from behind. that entire place is basically a puzzle of how to aggro the enemies so you don't get overwhelmed.
Capntastic
Community Friendlord
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6709 on: May 23, 2016, 06:40:10 PM »

I also found a path down to a spooky place called Darkroot Basin and I saw a glowing light in the distance that vanished when I got close so I ran the heck outta there before a big net full of spiders or something landed on me
quantumpotato
Quantum Potato
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6710 on: May 23, 2016, 06:57:58 PM »

People just get too salty with lose states and errant doesnt seems to be different. Some games though, souls games but others like dwarf fortress, teach to consider each lost as a learning experience, to become less attached to immediate victory and even enjoy the whole process of losing and improving every time.

"The game invasion mechanic is basically a mode for trolls who want to make other people miserable" That's how he describes the pvp. He doesnt even consider the fact that maybe being invaded could be a thrilling experience even if you die, that each invasion could create a unique and fun situation, that a long duel with someone, full of comebacks and running around, could be a great experience no matter who wins. Losing is a miserable experience for him, instead of being just a possible consequence of an exciting fight.

Winning is not everything in these games, its all about the process. That being said, there's a lot of jerks in the souls community that can be really irritating and this could have influenced his opinions on the matter.  

Embering and getting invaded in Ithryl on the rooftops has been the most exciting gameplay yet. Co-oping is super fun there too, the stakes are so high with ledges so close. And the freaking NPC invaders, to boot!

One invader came at me with fists.. comboed the crap out of me. Hilarious.

Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6711 on: May 23, 2016, 08:34:07 PM »

thats me alright

there are some plant dudes on the basin

did you see the undergroudn area below the firelink shrine>?

DJFloppyFish
« Reply #6712 on: May 23, 2016, 08:58:14 PM »

invasions are great. im for anything that reminds me other people are actively playing the game and livens up the world.

i kinda feel like dark souls 3 has the best pvp, just cuz more frequent connections + even more solid gameplay. 
battlerager
Level 10

I resent that statement.

View Profile
« Reply #6713 on: May 24, 2016, 02:26:54 AM »

Yeah I love getting summoned or being invaded.
Allows me to show off my 1337 skills or fail hilariously.

If I'm ever really worried about my progress (aka how far I got) I shouldn't be, if I cleared it once it will be easier the next times.
And I'f im ever really worried about my capital (aka how many souls I carry) I slip on a ring of sacrifice anyway. I basically use 3 rings for real and swap out the 4th with something cool if I'm low on souls or a ring of sacrifice when I'm packin'.
DJFloppyFish
« Reply #6714 on: May 25, 2016, 03:21:26 PM »

been trying to take down dancer at lvl 36. I've been stuck for hours, even with a +6 weapon.
tortoiseandcrow
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #6715 on: May 25, 2016, 04:15:49 PM »

Dancer was one of my favourite fights, because when I was doing well it truly did feel like a dance. The time I finally beat her, I didn't get hit once, and had become so fully absorbed in pure action and reaction that I hadn't realized that her health had got so low until the second to last blow.

It took me ages and ages though.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #6716 on: May 25, 2016, 04:34:39 PM »

dancer is the coolest looking boss in da gam

btw: unfortunately the dark souls board game still doesn't look that promising. unless they change a lot of things about the mechanics, there are way better dungeon crawling board gams out there. the fact that theyre focusing on the miniatures so much doesn't bode well either. im a massive souls fanboy and probably play more physical games than videogames these days, but this combination of the two doesn't seem very exciting.

funny thing is, i think the bloodborne card game has a much better chance of actually being good as a game (not least bc its by a good designer).
« Last Edit: May 25, 2016, 06:51:29 PM by Silbereisen » Logged
DJFloppyFish
« Reply #6717 on: May 25, 2016, 06:46:20 PM »

just beat dancer at lvl 36! wow what a thrill! haven't felt this excited since my first victory over O&S. I didn't end up perfecting the fight (estus'd four times I think) but I got pretty good. first time I really felt I was *learning* a boss in dks3. I think dancer is secretly the best boss in this game  Blink
quantumpotato
Quantum Potato
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6718 on: May 26, 2016, 04:51:36 AM »

Dancer was one of my favourite fights, because when I was doing well it truly did feel like a dance. The time I finally beat her, I didn't get hit once, and had become so fully absorbed in pure action and reaction that I hadn't realized that her health had got so low until the second to last blow.

It took me ages and ages though.

Congrats Smiley This is why I wish boss HP was completely hidden!

I beat Pontiff.. with help. I went in my second time with a couple allies & a parry shield. Tried to parry some things but ended up missing them all while the teammate blasted with 400damage fireballs.

I guess.. that's what you're supposed to do lol

Nillo
Level 10

Raunchy Raccoon

View Profile
« Reply #6719 on: May 26, 2016, 11:36:34 AM »

How to make a viable wizard build Wizard

My finished games: Griddy RPG
My current project: SummonerRL
On hold: Griddy Heroes
Pages: 1 ... 334 335 [336] 337 338 ... 355
Print